User Tag List

123 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default World's Largest Oil Field Discovered in Texas

The Jaw-Dropping Potential in This American Oil Patch Could Change the World

"The pride and joy of Saudi Arabia's oil industry has been the Ghawar oil field, which has been recognized as the largest in the world ever since its discovery in 1948. That is, perhaps, until now. A shale oil formation deep beneath the plains of West Texas has been sitting right under our noses for years, and Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE: PXD ) estimates that it could usurp the Ghawar field's 60-year reign. "

"Estimates of the Permian's reserves were somewhere in the 10 billion-12 billion barrel range. That's nothing to scoff at, but it certainly didn't come close to the 71 billion barrels in that single formation under the Saudi desert. Apparently, those oilmen simply didn't look hard enough, because they missed the rest of the oil in the Permian.

All 75 billion barrels of it."

Wow, so much for that peak oil nonsense. Drill baby, Drill!! Let's go back to $2/gallon gasoline.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

We can finally burn all our environmentally friendly cars!

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    The Jaw-Dropping Potential in This American Oil Patch Could Change the World

"The pride and joy of Saudi Arabia's oil industry has been the Ghawar oil field, which has been recognized as the largest in the world ever since its discovery in 1948. That is, perhaps, until now. A shale oil formation deep beneath the plains of West Texas has been sitting right under our noses for years, and Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE: PXD ) estimates that it could usurp the Ghawar field's 60-year reign. "

"Estimates of the Permian's reserves were somewhere in the 10 billion-12 billion barrel range. That's nothing to scoff at, but it certainly didn't come close to the 71 billion barrels in that single formation under the Saudi desert. Apparently, those oilmen simply didn't look hard enough, because they missed the rest of the oil in the Permian.

All 75 billion barrels of it."

Wow, so much for that peak oil nonsense. Drill baby, Drill!! Let's go back to $2/gallon gasoline.
    Your obvious short-sightedness about the effects on the environment and climate change is mind boggling. Other countries, like Germany, are expanding their use of alternative fuel sources while the U.S. remains stuck in the past and will be the downfall of the Earth's increasing sea level rise.

I am beginning to think you are a troll for the GOP
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    Your obvious short-sightedness about the effects on the environment and climate change is mind boggling. Other countries, like Germany, are expanding their use of alternative fuel sources while the U.S. remains stuck in the past and will be the downfall of the Earth's increasing sea level rise.

I'm so politically far away from Tellenbach it's almost laughable. Nevertheless, the need for oil will never go away. A big need actually comes from the pharmaceutical industry, and a TON of consumer products. The organic molecules used in food, medicine, all largely come from building blocks distilled out from crude oil. Getting oil from home as opposed to abroad is a very good thing from a diplomatic point of view because it pulls out ties and needs away from the middle east which is pretty much universally a good thing. Further, Texas already has quite a lot of infrastructure to handle this so it is easy to implement. It's pretty much as good as it gets.

That said, it doesn't change the nature of the oil and gas industry, the need for alternative energy, etc. A good thing about this, is the focus on Texas will (hopefully) slow hydraulic fracturing, which will hopefully allow for more thorough invesitgation into the safety and envrionmental impacts the industry is attempting to gloss over and hide. What I personally want to see first and foremost is for the oil and gas industry to invest in safety and cleanup measures. They DO have the funds and resources to do it. If it can be made safer and cleaner, it's better than nothing. I'd also like to see nuclear energy become more frequent, but that's another discussion.

It might not seem like it, but this is a good thing.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica
    Your obvious short-sightedness about the effects on the environment and climate change is mind boggling.
    Global warming or climate change science is a pseudoscientific fraud perpetrated by mother gaia worshipping nuts. This is the only scientific topic where the advocates want to criminalize dissent. This is the only scientific topic where the opposition can't defend their positions without resorting to name-calling. This is the only scientific topic where the "scientists" refuse to release their raw data and disclose their methods.

"It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford's book organizes the facts very well.) I don't believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist." Harold Lewis, UC Santa Barbara, Emeritus Physics Professor

"Global Warming has become a religion. A surprisingly large number of people seem to have concluded that all that gives meaning to their lives is the belief that they are saving the planet by paying attention to their carbon footprint."

"Global climate alarmism has been costly to society, and it has the potential to be vastly more costly. It has also been damaging to science, as scientists adjust both data and even theory to accommodate politically correct positions." Richard Lindzen, MIT Professor of Atmospheric Sciences
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Global warming or climate change science is a pseudoscientific fraud perpetrated by mother gaia worshipping nuts. This is the only scientific topic where the advocates want to criminalize dissent. This is the only scientific topic where the opposition can't defend their positions without resorting to name-calling. This is the only scientific topic where the "scientists" refuse to release their raw data and disclose their methods.

"It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford's book organizes the facts very well.) I don't believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist." Harold Lewis, UC Santa Barbara, Emeritus Physics Professor

"Global Warming has become a religion. A surprisingly large number of people seem to have concluded that all that gives meaning to their lives is the belief that they are saving the planet by paying attention to their carbon footprint."

"Global climate alarmism has been costly to society, and it has the potential to be vastly more costly. It has also been damaging to science, as scientists adjust both data and even theory to accommodate politically correct positions." Richard Lindzen, MIT Professor of Atmospheric Sciences
    If you deny climate change effected by humans, then you don't understand what science is. This is no different than the idiocy of folks who think vaccines are linked to autism.

Climate change is happening. It's self evident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...climate_change

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

@Hard: I appreciate your comments and agree we are going to need oil and gas while we make a transition to other sources of energy...my greatest concern is that if we continue to invest our research/resources/extraction into oil and gas and never truly invest in alternative fuel sources it will be too little , too late. America's oil and gas corporations received huge federal subsidies to establish them in the past, but why are we so reluctant to do the same for alternative fuel sources?

We are so far behind other countries when it comes to wind, solar, and other experimental sources of fuel that our priorities are completely skewed.

And thanks for bringing up that point about slowing down the expansion of fracking as we have no idea what it is doing to the environment, including the earthquakes it seems to be causing. Your point about clean-up and safety measures is another important one...while we rely on oil and gas, corporations have a responsibility to improve these measures instead of having to be forced by some regulatory agency that may/may not have high standards.

Also, for your graph above on global warming....Tellenbach is obviously science illiterate in that respect.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

WALMART

Punctuated equilibrium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I say burn all the fucking oil we can find, plunge us into necessity.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    my greatest concern is that if we continue to invest our research/resources/extraction into oil and gas and never truly invest in alternative fuel sources it will be too little , too late
    Oh we crossed that years ago. The planet is toast. Not likely in our lifetime, but not too long after it. I don't think about it anymore because it causes me a lot of really bad stress. It's a reason actually why I don't plan to have kids actually.

I don't have the answer to solve this. Money and many of those in power stand in the way. What gets those to move is situations becoming very severe. The problem is with this stuff when that point is reached it's too late. I honestly am of the opinion that it can't be completely solved.

Only half the world is teflon and asbestos

The rest is burnable
    I FEEL ALRIGHT