User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Socionics
    ESI None

Quote Originally Posted by Nara View Post
    Making comments about his type is just so inappropriate now. Like everything could immediatly end up in the circus arena for our entertainment. Seriously. Even phobik understood this.
    No, You're right, it is inappropriate.

MBTI
    INFP

Making comments about his type is just so inappropriate now. Like everything could immediatly end up in the circus arena for our entertainment. Seriously. Even phobik understood this.
    I actually first hesitated to write what i wrote because i was afraid it might be so. While i sincerely appreciate Typh0n's helpful opinions i apologize for the inappropriate approach to the matter.
    All the people are crazy; way or another - me
    It's just my avatar, i'm not a scary person - also me

MBTI
    WILD

Indeed, this must be horrible for his parents. : (
    To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
    Henri Bergson

C'est faux de dire: Je pense : on devrait dire : On me pense.
    It is wrong to say: I think. One should say: I am thought.
    Arthur Rimbaud

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MadKitten View Post
    I actually first hesitated to write what i wrote because i was afraid it might be so. While i sincerely appreciate Typh0n's helpful opinions i apologize for the inappropriate approach to the matter.
    Well geez, it's not a mortal sin.

I don't think there's anything wrong with typing him, but as is probably suggested, just not in this thread. Like @Nara said, that happens, then this thread goes to MBTI circle jerk.

Anyway, moving along.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Making comments about his type is just so inappropriate now.
    I think it's disgusting, but predictable. Unfortunately.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Well, my closest friend at USBC is alive and well, according to a facebook post by his relatives. Still waiting to hear about his girlfriend, who is blond & curvy, and anyone else he is friends with.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    To some extent, I would have to say it is. These mass shooters are predominantly white, middle-class males in the US.
    just thinking out loud on why this might be the case:
    are white middle class families more likely to replace direct discipline (time out, restrictions, spanking, etc) with the use of money as their main parenting tool?

it's a bit of throwing a dart in the dark here, but if a child grows up where the reward for positive behavior is getting what he wanted and the punishment for negative behavior is withholding it... you are essentially raising a child to feel that not getting what they want is a form of punishment... and in the video's he sounded just like that: "i keep doing all my homework and my chores, why is nobody taking me to disneyland?!"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Society View Post
    just thinking out loud on why this might be the case:
    are white middle class families more likely to replace direct discipline (time out, restrictions, spanking, etc) with the use of money as their main parenting tool?

it's a bit of throwing a dart in the dark here, but if a child grows up where the reward for positive behavior is getting what he wanted and the punishment for negative behavior is withholding it... you are essentially raising a child to feel that like not getting what they want is a form of punishment... and in the video's he sounded just like that: "i keep doing all my homework and my chores, why is nobody taking me to disneyland?!"

Although we are going to be in the minority here, in the right circumstances, physical discipline has been shown by MANY studies to create more well adjusted adults.

When there's no consequence for a child's bad behavior (I don't personally think taking away an iPhone for a day is an appropriate consequence or punishment)there's a huge risk for spoiled brat syndrome.

"My daddy used to tan my hide!" I don't personally think there's anything wrong with that, if the child is ultimately loved, and realizes this is punishment. And that's a far cry from straight up beating children.

Quote from source: Physical Discipline

"Previous research has found children are more likely to grow into well adjusted adults if their parents are firm disciplinarians.

Traditional “authoritative” parenting, combining high expectations of behavior with warmth and sensitivity, leads to more “competent” children, according to the 2009 study by researchers from London's Institute of Education."
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Besides, mass shootings haven't really gone up in frequency that much from how it has been historically (in the US at least). It seems like it's worse because of the prevalence of mass media and speed at which information is spread. It also makes for sensationalist news. This encourages others who may be considering killing others in a public way to do so in a visible manner. In essence, it's under the microscope.
    More about that:

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Smith
    Mass-murders, rampage killings, whatever you choose to call them, are not new. We have had mass murders and school rampages for most of our history as a country. Think of the University of Texas at Austin, in August of 1966. The infamous clock tower. Recall the Bath School killings in Bath Township, Michigan in May 1927. As far back as 1853, there are recorded instances of disgruntled students bringing weapons to school to exact revenge on their teachers, principals or other students for whatever reason, real or imagined.

This is certainly not unique to the United States. There are recent and historical records of school massacres, workplace killings and other mass-murders in many countries around the world throughout recorded history. Just yesterday 22 adults and children were stabbed by a crazed "knifeman" outside a school in China. Knife attacks at Chinese schools have been a common occurrence in the past few years, with at least ten attacks resulting in over twenty dead and many more seriously injured just since 2010.
    Continue here...
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    NPR is reporting he had asperger's syndrome & multiple therapists and a social worker. i've read elsewhere his family was definitely not into guns.

in the newtown elementary school shooting the shooter had asperger's and i read articles saying a number of people, both students and adults at his school, did try to befriend the kid over the years. in cases where it is about mental illness it may be that our country really needs to prevent them from getting guns. in the newtown case obviously the mom shouldn't have let him stockpile guns and been taking him to the shooting range. of course hindsight is 20-20.
    You realize that Aspergers is a developmental disorder and not a mental illness, right?

Also, precisely which mental illnesses do you believe should disqualify someone from owning a gun?