User Tag List

First 223031323334 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    [B]"Domestic terrorism" [I]means activities with the following three characteristics...
    The definition of terrorism isn't really relevant. The government doesn't label someone a terrorist because the actions of that person match the definition. It labels someone a terrorist because it is politically expedient. Definitions are only used to justify the label, after the fact, and the definitions are modified to meet the agenda at hand.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I do hope we can all agree he was a tremendous piece of shit, if not a terrorist.
    Lol, agree there
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The definition of terrorism isn't really relevant. The government doesn't label someone a terrorist because the actions of that person match the definition. It labels someone a terrorist because it is politically expedient. Definitions are only used to justify the label, after the fact, and the definitions are modified to meet the agenda at hand.
    yeah, agreed. some people seemed so obsessed with that term, so I decided to clarify.

Aaaaand, now I'm done dissecting a mostly irrelevant thing, as per this discussion.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm not really invested in characterizing him as a terrorist- it's not that meaningful a term anymore. I write and edit that kind of stuff for a living so my OCD couldn't leave it alone.

I do hope we can all agree he was a tremendous piece of shit, if not a terrorist.
    I agree that he was a piece of shit and I don't care if people call him a terrorist. The government not labeling him a terrorist doesn't really say anything about our society, one way or the other, though. That argument is just stupid and pointless.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

It depends on how you define "Terrorist." There isn't one universally accepted definition.

ter·ror·ism
    noun
    the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

By this definition, he is, and so is anyone who commits murder in the name of misogyny.

ter·ror·ism
    noun
    the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

This definition, Rodgers didn't have a political purpose, so he isn't.

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

• Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

•Appear intended
    (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

• Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

This definition, Rodgers, not a terrorist.
    What's more illuminating is given the definitions, how you reached the conclusion you did.

And btw, Timothy McVeigh, lone white man, universally accepted as a terrorist.
    Funny you mention that

And please, continue to go slow, it's always difficult to make sense of people who are already bigoted against America and like to nitpick over semantics.
    I don't know where I get such ideas about America, truly.

Islamophobia is real thing, but what does that have to do with Elliot Rodger? You've really gone off the rails here.
    Are you following the evolution of our conversation, and the side-track you initiated, regarding clarification of the classification of brown men as terrorists? That had as much to do with Elliot Rodgers as my subsequent response to you did. Keep up.

I agree that he was a piece of shit and I don't care if people call him a terrorist. The government not labeling him a terrorist doesn't really say anything about our society, one way or the other, though. That argument is just stupid and pointless.
    Figures, as the basis for the argument relies on identifying a culture of organized misogyny.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    What's more illuminating is given the definitions, how you reached the conclusion you did.
    Why are you so obsessed with the definition of Terrorism? As everyone has recently said, myself included, it's not the issue. The definition varies around the world. That's not the point. But for shits and giggles, one more time:

•Appear intended
    (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

There's only an "or" for (ii) and (iii), not (i). This is from the FBI. For THIS definition "(i)" and both or one of (ii),(iii) must be met.

Title 22, Chapter 38 of the United States Code (regarding the Department of State)

"Definitions ... the term 'terrorism' means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents;"

Geez, get over it. Maybe he's a terrorist maybe not. Regardless, he's (was) a shit stain.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Are you following the evolution of our conversation, and the side-track you initiated, regarding classification of brown men as terrorists? That had as much to do with Elliot Rodgers as my subsequent response to you did. Keep up.
    I initiated what? Can you link the post where I supposedly initiated all this nonsense?

Figures, as the basis for the argument relies on identifying a culture of organized misogyny.
    Right, because a culture of organized misogyny is the only explanation for why he wouldn't be labeled a terrorist. If he wasn't labeled a terrorist, then it must have been because the government is misogynistic. Wait, not just misogynistic, but there is a culture of organized misogyny within the government.

I initiated what? Can you link the post where I supposedly initiated all this nonsense?
    My apologies, you and Johnnyboy.

Because when it's a a white male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of an individual who has gone awry. The madman. When it's a brown male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of a terrorist.
    Brown guy, considered lone crazy guy: Christopher Dorner

Another Brown guy, Nidal Malik Hasan
    "Investigators in the FBI and U.S. Army determined that Hasan acted alone and they have found no evidence of links to terrorist groups."
    It's really rude to point out examples like this. You're going to make Qre:us feel bad and doing that is worse than her being wrong. Women need a safe place to discuss these things.
    I gave an analogy. Swiss cheese decided to focus on the brown != terrorist aspect only, derailing it from having anything to do with Rodger, and you piped in with your nonsense.

And, alas, we came to this derail.

Right, because a culture of organized misogyny is the only explanation for why he wouldn't be labeled a terrorist. If he wasn't labeled a terrorist, then it must have been because the government is misogynistic. Wait, not just misogynistic, but there is a culture of organized misogyny within the government. Really, misogyny is just everywhere, like the quantum foam.
    LOL.

Thanks for my Friday laugh.

Hope you have a misogyny-free weekend, even if they're hard to avoid!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

My apologies, Johnnyboy and you.
    I initiated nothing. I did "pipe in", as you like to say, but I didn't initiate anything.

I gave an analogy. Swiss cheese decided to focus on the brown != terrorist aspect only, derailing it from having anything to do with Rodger, and you piped in with your nonsense.

And, alas, we came to this derail.
    Derail? This thread was derailed long before I started participating in this little side discussion. I just hopped on for a little ride.

LOL.

Thanks for my Friday laugh.

Hope you have a misogyny-free weekend, even if they're hard to avoid!
    All of my weekends are misogyny-free, thanks.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

My apologies, you and Johnnyboy.
    Interesting that you were actually the first one to bring it up.

Yesterday 02:12 PM
    Because when it's a a white male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of an individual who has gone awry. The madman. When it's a brown male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of a terrorist.
    Today 03:00 PM
    Brown guy, considered lone crazy guy: Christopher Dorner

Another Brown guy, Nidal Malik Hasan
    "Investigators in the FBI and U.S. Army determined that Hasan acted alone and they have found no evidence of links to terrorist groups."
    Did you learn logic and debate from a pop-up book? I'll return to this thread when your nonsensical posts (hopefully) have ceased.