First 202829303132 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I'd go with people around him. Have you never noticed social pressure to have sex at a certain age? I have seen people ridiculed for being virgins past x age. He was himself if you read his manifesto. He obviously obsessed about it and built it up into something immensely important. But he isn't isolated in doing so.

His actions and views might be individual twists on this, but it is a pattern I've noticed, much like typology.
    I do recall a certain culture in college. He was that age.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Worse than that, he's not even a charming asshole.
    lol
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

"Pre-crime"? Someone's been reading too much Dick lit.

Incitement to violence IS a crime in many places (making the "pre" superfluous -kinda my point). Wouldn't the Patriot Act cover this in the States or is that only for brown people too?

My point was that if the law enforcement officials called to investigate Rodger had taken his threats as seriously as they take threats from other types of terrorists, the ensuing violence could have been avoided. If they'd reviewed the material reported to them properly, if they'd searched his apartment and found his weapons stash and "manifesto" they would surely have had grounds to detain him or monitor his activity at the very least. I think most reasonable people would view that as a justified intervention on the part of a public service paid to "protect and serve" rather than a dystopian nightmare of state thought-control...but this is America- you never can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Will violent acts of misogyny ever be viewed as terrorism?
    What is terrorism? If we use the UN's definition: "any act intended to cause death or serious bodily harm to civilians or non-combatants with the purpose of intimidating a population" then I don't really see how you could view it as anything else.
    All women are systematically terrorised by the subset of men who think like Rodgers, by rape culture and by a society that refuses to do anything about sexual violence other than victim-blame, deflect or even celebrate it.

Why is it that those officers could assess such a damaged individual as a "perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human" ( his own family reported him as being disturbed and dangerous)? Why is it that so often someone has to die before threats of violence against women are acted upon but people who criticise "Western values" are treated as the greatest threat to national security since the collapse of the Soviet Union -despite the fact that misogyny kills more Americans than all forms of religious or political extremism put together? It's so mainstream it barely registers in the consciousness of most people. Why isn't he branded a terrorist? Because the terrorist is an out-group member. The terrorist is the foreign "other". Rodgers may have felt like a misfit, but he was nevertheless very much part of the American mainstream. His ideas weren't radical enough to pay any attention to. You can hear them on every college campus across the country (or the globe, for that matter.)

Why did no one write of Anders Breivik: "But he killed white kids! This has nothing to do with Islamaphobia! He was just crazy! His parents didn't understand him! I relate."
    The court had no problem declaring him sane, despite the pronounced insanity of his views and actions. (Almost no coverage was given in the mainstream press of the extent of his hatred of women either )
    Timothy McVeigh was considered sane enough to be sentenced to death.
    Last year, when two British-Nigerian "Islamic extremists" (one of whom was known to be seriously mentally ill and who subsequently renounced Islam altogether) hacked a member of the armed services to death in the street, no one bemoaned the failure of mental health services - it was universally condemned as a "terrorist act".

Odd. People will accept that all sorts of hateful ideologies kill people, but have some kind of mental block when it comes to this particular one - too close to the bone?

Elliot Rodgers was not a psychopath. He was not insane. He was not brutalised by a deprived childhood. He was not suffering from any kind of diminished responsibility. He was not a lone gunmen - there are thousands like him. No explanation is necessary beyond the explanation he gave of himself.

That scum is not the only one of his kind.
    I couldn't read most of that, it would make me ill, but on a more positive note, there was a link in the comments to this piece by one of the growing number of men for whom this seems to have been something of a "road to Damascus" moment:
    Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Misogyny, Entitlement, and Nerds - The Daily Beast

It will be interesting to see if all the chest-beating and wailing will result in anything substantive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    yupp

no no no because of spy software ect people have been arrested for simply planning protests. so yes pre crime is a problem. Not that it exists, it's always existed, the fact that people are getting trouble for simply talking about protesting is a problem. though I don't think protesting should be a crime to begin with
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Because when it's a a white male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of an individual who has gone awry. The madman. When it's a brown male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of a terrorist.
    Brown guy, considered lone crazy guy: Christopher Dorner

Another Brown guy, Nidal Malik Hasan
    "Investigators in the FBI and U.S. Army determined that Hasan acted alone and they have found no evidence of links to terrorist groups."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    It's really rude to point out examples like this. You're going to make Qre:us feel bad and doing that is worse than her being wrong. Women need a safe place to discuss these things.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

He ain't the brown I'm referring to. But he'd have qualified if his name was something more along the line of Muhammad Khan or his religion even whispered Islam.

Another Brown guy, Nidal Malik Hasan
    "Investigators in the FBI and U.S. Army determined that Hasan acted alone and they have found no evidence of links to terrorist groups."
    Perfect example of what I'm speaking about.

"Don't worry guys, we've investigated to find out that he WASN'T part of any terrorist groups. I'm sure everyone was wondering given his name."

Why the qualifier that he wasn't part of any terrorist group even needed? Is it because everyone would be wondering when they see the name?

Thank you for proving my point for me. I'm sure that was your intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's really rude to point out examples like this. You're going to make Qre:us feel bad and doing that is worse than her being wrong. Women need a safe place to discuss these things.
    Oh, @Lateralus, you're still grinding that ax? You really need to pick smarter allies. Don't make it so easy for me.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

He ain't the brown I'm referring to. But he'd have qualified if his name was something more along the line of Muhammad Khan or his religion even whispered Islam.
    Oh, so it's the name now, not the skin color? Then I guess Elliot Rodger doesn't qualify either because of his name. Group him up with Dorner as non-whites (skin too dark to benefit from white privilege) who went on rampages but weren't investigated as terrorists.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Why the qualifier that he wasn't part of any terrorist group even needed? Is it because everyone would be wondering when they see the name?

Thank you for proving my point for me. I'm sure that was your intention.
    It is weird that Americans would be quick to label Muslims that kill masses of innocent people as "Terrorists" considering that, historically, they usually ARE connected to Islamic Extremist cells or Extremist Teachings.

I mean, where would they get such a crazy idea?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

what evolved legislature DOES have a pre-crime[Incitement to Violence] unit for domestic loner mass shooters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Incitement to violence IS a crime in many places (making the "pre" superfluous -kinda my point). Wouldn't the Patriot Act cover this in the States or is that only for brown people too?

New Zealand is the only country with an Incitement to Violence law (It was abolished in England). And even then, one person has to incite another one to commit a crime.

I can't wait for your non-answer.
    You do not disappoint.