User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

...WTF...

I guess I can kind of sympathise with how upset he was about being lonely, but still, that's not reason to go and shoot a whole bunch of people. No fucking way. It just sucks that we have no support systems for these kinds of people and don't identify them early, but I think the problem with men is that we tend to internalise it because you get laughed at for showing any emotional weakness.

Of course the worst part of the reaction is that the feminists will have a field day saying all white men are violent and people might actually ignore the stats about violent crime...

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    It just sucks that we have no support systems for these kinds of people and don't identify them early, but I think the problem with men is that we tend to internalise it because you get laughed at for showing any emotional weakness.
    As far as the laughter is concerned , just take a look at the responses in this thread...the ones which seems less concerned with what he did than how much of a "creep" he is. The fact he is a "creep" or not shouldnt be the thing to take most to heart here.
    Likes Cygnus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Whatever's wrong with him, he's certainly got a [compensatory] grandiose sense of himself - and tries way too hard to project that, outwardly. I'm sure he was in a lot of pain from loneliness, but in the end, I can't be bothered to empathize. The moment he chose to take the life of another person- and acted on it- he ceased to be a human to me, and I couldn't care any less about his problems.
    What bothered me the most about his motives was his emphasis on not getting laid. It feels even more despicable than if he for example had been tormented and humiliated by his peers, or something. That might have been one of the things he had to endure, I don't know, but all he's talking about is girls giving themselves to other men, and that's why they had to die. Disgusting little insect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Indeed. I'm pretty sure he used a few movie lines in there, as well.

His mountain of skulls line sounded a lot like a quote from Vigo the Carpathian in Ghostbusters 2.

"In a mountain of skulls, in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood."

And the "slaughter you like animals" line resonates with Anakin Skywalker's rant in Star Wars.
    Plot twist: This is an extremely poorly timed trailer for his dad's next movie project.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

My best friend started shooting when he was 6 years old. His dad (a WWII vet) taught him. He was not exactly the most popular kid at school, and he had access to a variety of guns. At no point did he think that going around shooting people would be the correct way to deal with his problems.

Virtually everyone experiences some sort of adversity. Character is the deciding factor.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    What bothered me the most about his motives was his emphasis on not getting laid. It feels even more despicable than if he for example had been tormented and humiliated by his peers, or something. That might have been one of the things he had to endure, I don't know, but all he's talking about is girls giving themselves to other men, and that's why they had to die. Disgusting little insect.
    Really? That bothered you more than the fact that he actually shot people? I agree motive matters, but whether he claimed his motivation was bullying/life trauma he still should've been identified as someone with issues. A lot of these school attacks would be prevented if that happened, and we had a stronger sense of community and better support structures for stressed young people (which would make it easier to meet girls as well actually, university is a maze...). You are on your own alot of the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Really? That bothered you more than the fact that he actually shot people? I agree motive matters, but whether he claimed his motivation was bullying/life trauma he still should've been identified as someone with issues. A lot of these school attacks would be prevented if that happened, and we had a stronger sense of community and better support structures for stressed young people (which would make it easier to meet girls as well actually, university is a maze...). You are on your own alot of the time now.
    No. I said that it was what bothered me most about his motives for doing it.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    No wonder no one would sleep with him. What a self-entitled piece of shit excuse for a human. We've all dealt with rejection in some form or another. That's not being victimized in any way, and certainly doesn't merit any form of retribution. That's life- and he obviously couldn't take it, so he took the lives of others.

Disgusting parasite.
    My sentiments exactly.
    @xisnotx, I don't think this guy went off the deep end because women wouldn't sleep with him. I think women wouldn't sleep with him because he was clearly already off the deep end. And nobody owes anybody ass.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    he didn't have a mental illness! he couldn't get laid! there is a huge difference. psychopathic, narcissistic?...
    i don't think it is really about the sex though. it's about his sense of self, feeling like a man. note that he says he's the "alpha male". it could easily have been not making it on the football team after trying out every year or whatever represented being a big shot compared to his peers. he wasn't in love with any particular woman that we know of. he just wanted to compete with his peers and that is why he wanted the blond sorority girl. for a lot of guys blond sorority girls are considered the biggest catch. he objectified women. he wasn't seeing these blond sorority girls as actual people, just objects to bolster his ego, and when he couldn't get one his sense of self & manhood was completely decimated. it's completely narcissistic. i'm not saying he wasn't lonely but i don't believe for a minute that was the real issue. whether or not narcissism is really a mental illness is a separate issue though.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    he didn't have a mental illness! he couldn't get laid! there is a huge difference. psychopathic, narcissistic?...[edited] yes, not getting laid will turn a man crazy. ask any man.

you think this is a game? same thing will happen ten years from now, fifty years from now...until we're dead. a sexless man is a dangerous thing. don't play. because we don't. we go to war and kill other men...just for some sex.

that's just the way life is. i wish women would understand...how far a man is willing to go...just for some sex. but they don't. [edited]

sucks that all those people died...that goes without saying..
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say it sounds like you're effectively justifying his behavior, which is COMPLETELY, in every way not excuseable. What he did is wrong, and you can't get much more wrong than that. His "reasons" for why he did it, don't change a darn thing. The only thing that could is if he had a severe mental illness, of which I won't speculate.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 05-30-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Quote edit
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    i don't think it is really about the sex though. it's about his sense of self, feeling like a man. note that he says he's the "alpha male". it could easily have been not making it on the football team after trying out every year or whatever represented being a big shot compared to his peers. he wasn't in love with any particular woman that we know of. he just wanted to compete with his peers and that is why he wanted the blond sorority girl. for a lot of guys blond sorority girls are considered the biggest catch. he objectified women. he wasn't seeing these blond sorority girls as actual people, just objects to bolster his ego, and when he couldn't get one his sense of self & manhood was completely decimated. it's completely narcissistic. i'm not saying he wasn't lonely but i don't believe for a minute that was the real issue. whether or not narcissism is really a mental illness is a separate issue though.
    I do agree with Xisnotx that sex, or lackthereof, may have been the biggest motivator. We're biologically hardwired to want it A LOT. Sexual deprivation can lead to a lot of repressed aggression in men; however, most men don't use that as justification to inflict violence on women. They're more likely to become a douchebag in other ways, or eventually develop the confidence and social skills to attract women.