User Tag List

First 192728293031 Last

Society

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Oooooh, what evolved legislature DOES have a pre-crime unit for domestic loner mass shooters? I can't wait for your non-answer.

i wouldn't call it "evolved", but actually the israeli legislature does. after a prime minister was assassinated in 1995, many people have accused the nature of the protests against him that outright called for his murder to be provoking factors in the assassination, and they passed a law against promotion of murder (though as far as i know only covers promoting the murder of a specific target, not general groups).

MBTI
    WILD

This is just about not letting some psychos encouraging to take revenge on others by killing them, not Minority Report.

They call themselves "nice guys" and as usual are unable to see the irony. This article was a good initiative to clarify some points.
    To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
    Henri Bergson

C'est faux de dire: Je pense : on devrait dire : On me pense.
    It is wrong to say: I think. One should say: I am thought.
    Arthur Rimbaud

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    That depends on how evolved your legislature is.
    Then again, the US has never had any conscience about detaining suspected Islamic "terrorists" - on much flimsier grounds.
    Because when it's a a white male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of an individual who has gone awry. The madman. When it's a brown male who goes on a rampage, targeting and terrorizing a particular group, it is the act of a terrorist.

It's completely inaccurate, but so darn convenient (and a reflection of the American culture), to focus on such an individual as an exception, rather than to focus on the culture of misogyny that breeds these kinds of scum.

Will violent acts of misogyny ever be seen as terrorism?

That scum is not the only one of his kind.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I wish we would stop making a big deal of these shooters. Screw them. This attention is exactly what they wanted. Whatever "issue" they wanted to bring up in their "manifesto" is being discussed. This is what they wanted.

Let's remember and honor the victims instead.
    Completely agree. I don't think it does anything positive to sensationalize such things. It's why I don't watch the news anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    I'm just catching up on this thread and I'm a little surprised at the the direction of some of the discussion. I wonder less about what and wonder more about why. The word has been terribly abused here in the past but this seems like a good example of what misogyny actually is.

My question would be what on earth would make a person become like that? What would cause them to become so angry with humanity as a whole? He hates the women because of how he has been treated. He hates the men because he is jealous of them. What would cause someone to feel and express such anger and hostility towards others?

Women and people in general would dislike him because he seems like an asshole. Worse than that, he's not even a charming asshole.

Was he born like that? Was it because of how he was raised? Is it mental illness? Experience and bad luck? Was he abused?

Those are the things I wonder.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I don't know how relevant all of you find this, but I find it relevant. One of my favorite YouTubers.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Worse than that, he's not even a charming asshole.
    that's actually a really good point, a small detail of surprising importance: he is lacking some of the most fundamental aspects of psychopathy, isn't he? it's counter intuitve, you'd think that someone like that would be. but not only is he completely lacking in charm, he is utterly incompetent at manipulating social signals and pressing emotional buttons, "no game" as they say... non whatsoever.

narcissistic to the extreme, violently insane... but not an actual psychopath.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

You know I think delusional was too light a word to describe his perspective.

Reading through his diary, (not something I would recommend if you are looking for insight), it paints a picture of complete entitlement. Most of the issues he describes stem from his own perspective of women, rather than being openly mistreated.

He never once mentions a woman outside of his extremely limited and specific spectrum of criteria. It's always some 'hot blonde' status symbol fiction.
    If anything the issue I would say it identifies is one of a culturally indoctrinated mindset to pursue popularity at all costs, at the starvation of empathy and morality. It treats sexualty like a game in which the objective is to score as many points as possible in the shortest possible time with the most socially approved partners. Its all the more frustrating because people pretend that it has an evidential basis using those around them who are engaging in it, without realising that it is ultimately just the stretching of biology into a 'what is most popular' fantasy.

Although he himself is clearly an A - class narcissist, his views are unfortunately not nearly as rare as some might like to see. The PUA and Facebook comments evidenced a few pages back demonstrate this.

PS I'm also retracting my statement before I've had social pressure but no thoughts of this nature towards women or other human beings.
    Last edited by Cellmold; 05-30-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    You know I think delusional was to light a word to describe his perspective.

Reading through his diary, (not something I would recommend if you are looking for insight), it paints a picture of complete entitlement. Most of the issues he describes stem from his own perspective of women, rather than being openly mistreated.

He never once mentions a woman outside of his extremely limited and specific spectrum of criteria. It's always some 'hot blonde' status symbol fiction.
    If anything the issue I would say it identifies is one of a culturally indoctrinated mindset to pursue popularity at all costs, at the starvation of empathy and morality. It treats sexualty like a game in which the objective is to score as many points as possible in the shortest possible time with the most socially approved partners. Its all the more frustrating because people pretend that it has an evidential basis using those around them who are engaging in it, without realising that it is ultimately just the stretching of biology into a 'what is most popular' fantasy.

Although he himself is clearly an A - class narcissist, his views are unfortunately not nearly as rare as some might like to see. The PUA and Facebook comments evidenced a few pages back demonstrate this.

PS I'm also retracting my statement before I've had social pressure but no thoughts of this nature towards women or other human beings.
    Delusional sure. Entitled I can see. Is it really cultural indoctrination though? How would anyone actually become indoctrinated to become like that? Was it the people around him and their values? Was he in some kind of cult?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Delusional sure. Entitled I can see. Is it really cultural indoctrination though? How would anyone actually become indoctrinated to become like that? Was it the people around him and their values? Was he in some kind of cult?
    I'd go with people around him. Have you never noticed social pressure to have sex at a certain age? I have seen people ridiculed for being virgins past x age. He was himself if you read his manifesto. He obviously obsessed about it and built it up into something immensely important. But he isn't isolated in doing so.

His actions and views might be individual twists on this, but it is a pattern I've noticed, much like typology.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar