First 15232425262735 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nara View Post
    Thing is, in his case: if he did have the ability to form emotional bonds (instead of waiting passively for people's devotion as a reward for his "lordliness"), he'd probrably have had friends.
    /fixed
    I posted this yesterday in the thread -- quotes from one of the guys he hung out with. here it is again:

...Much of Rodger’s loneliness was of his own making, said Chan, who’d been his friend for more than two years.

Me and my friends tried to help him,” Chan told ABC News. “He doesn’t like to talk or hang out.”

The sullen loner was depressing to be around when he did join the guys, and his complaints were often the same.

“He asked why the world is unfair to him. ‘I’m a good looking guy. Why do girls like ugly, fat guys?’” Chan told ABC News. “I told him appearance wasn't everything.”
    Chan is Asian, btw... and Rodgers despite hanging out with him apparently would go on about "Asian guys" and what's wrong with them, why women shouldn't be into them, etc. He didn't like seeing white women with blacks or Asians and posted racist comments on online forums. Yet he was still talking to Chan and others to the degree they wanted to help him.

My impression is that Rodgers was highly resistant to changing his ways of viewing the world. Chan says they tried to encourage him, help him ease up, take things more in stride, but he didn't want to change. We can imagine he had an inability to form emotional bonds, but at some point people make choices of how they want to face pain, loss, adversity, anxiety, and other negative experiences and emotions.

The huge majority of people do not go down the road that Rodgers chose; if he had been willing for even a moment to entertain a more positive possibility in his life, he could have had a different outcome. But even when people in his life TRIED to give him a glimpse of those possibilities, it seems like he utterly refused to look or consider them. He didn't WANT a better outcome. The only two outcomes he would accept was to either have what he wanted or hurt those who refused him. But it's not like he didn't have people who were trying.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Society

in regards to his social isolation, i stand corrected.

MBTI
    WILD

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    What are you argueing, that some people are "doomed" to not be able to establish relationships?

Certainly, some are better at it than others, but everyone can learn to estbalish social relations to some degree.
    The guy was running into closed circuit. I mean, that's not a big deal to sometimes think "what's wrong with me ? I'm worthy, at least worthier than X or Y, people should see it unless they're fooling themselves". Everyone did/do this.
    But that's not ok to remain stuck in this kind of thoughts because that's not how the world works. It's just a temporary compensation for a failure we couldn't face at this time.
    Look at his approach of these matters, how could you expect he could have had healthy relationships with others with such a self-delusion ?

I'd wish he could have learnt, indeed. Worst thing is that there are plenty of young people out there thinking as he did. :/
    To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
    Henri Bergson

C'est faux de dire: Je pense : on devrait dire : On me pense.
    It is wrong to say: I think. One should say: I am thought.
    Arthur Rimbaud

MBTI
    WILD

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My impression is that Rodgers was highly resistant to changing his ways of viewing the world.
    That's what I'm thinking too.
    To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
    Henri Bergson

C'est faux de dire: Je pense : on devrait dire : On me pense.
    It is wrong to say: I think. One should say: I am thought.
    Arthur Rimbaud

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    That does appear to be the profile of the last half dozen or so mass murderers in the US. According to theblaze.com, " Rodger details throughout his manifesto that he filled a void in his life with violent video games starting at a young age."

Violent videogames + medication = psychotic episode in some people?
    I've since located a decent video examining Rodgers life & how preventable the tragedy actually was.
    A lot of it makes good sense but keep a pinch of salt handy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oybAUKZhaMA

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Maybe someone should just call the mods...
    Yeah, you should totally do that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I think Rasofy was saying it helps some guys. And I agree. If you're saying it never works for guys in general, I disagree.
    We have different definitions of "works".

Pertaining to Rodger and PUA, I do agree with this. Is it possible that if he had learned something and gotten laid, he might not have become so embittered? Maybe.
    That's not how narcissism plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I found it pretty disgusting that within a day or two of the shooting, some PUA guys were saying that it wouldn't have happened if he'd used their services.
    Ugh. Also the frantic efforts at "damage limitation". They really are scum.

The irony is that if this despicable human being had been successful in dating the "hot, blonde, 7+", whiter-than-white women he apparently so desired, you just know a bunch of "nice" guys would be bitching about how they can't fathom why women always date assholes. I mean, rarely has any human being in history come closer to being the archetypal asshole than this guy - arrogant, aloof, disrespectful, entitled, self-absorbed, aggressive, convinced of his "alpha" status, he even had the obligatory BMW - and yet, somehow, miraculously, women found him resistible. And now those same women are being blamed for NOT appeasing the asshole.
    Because everything is always women's fault, as we know.... I'm surprised no one has blamed his toxic persona on an overindulgent mother yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Elliot Rodger was anti-PUA.
    Because it failed to deliver for him. He was an active member of the PUA "community"...if that's not a contradiction in terms.
    Lots of feminists are claiming he felt entitled to women's bodies.
    Not just their bodies. Their "adoration".
    He was anti-sex and resented the fact that he had a sex drive because it could not be satisfied. In his imagined utopia, there would be no sex. All reproduction would be done through artificial insemination (according to his manifesto).
    Naturally. That's what you get when you mix sour grapes with male sexual disgust. It's textbook (inferior Se).
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Stansmith

Ridiculous.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post

That's not how narcissism plays out.
    How's it play out? is it like this?

"But my guess is even if he managed that, it wouldn't be long before the lady would have found him odd and creepy and bailed. Bringing him back to square one, or worse."

Because everything is always women's fault, as we know
    Who in here said that?

I'm surprised no one has blamed his toxic persona on an overindulgent mother yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    his mom allowed him to play his stupid violent video game up to 14 hours a day at one point. he really disliked his stepmom, who did seem a little harsh at times, because she *horrors* gave him chores to do and actually limited his time on his video games.

the parents threw lots of money at the kid and just sent him to therapists who obviously weren't helping him at all. a couple years ago his father gave him a book to read he thought might help him. what book you ask? the secret.

that kind of says it all and when he's completely coming unraveled mommy buys him his beamer. oh, and there were lots of (entertainment) industry parties the family went to.

the one thing that seemed to help him was when he did building/construction work with one of his dad's friends on the man's house. at one point i guess they were trying to actually give him some discipline and shipped him off to live in morocco with his stepmom. weird. he cried to his mom on the phone and she flew out and brought him back home.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I forget you guys don't do irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    How's it play out? is it like this?
    Not really, no.
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Not really, no.
    Illuminating.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.