User Tag List

First 13212223242533 Last

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I can't believe you read that whole thing, haha.
    i can't either. :P i admit i do find knowing what makes people tick rather fascinating.

one of the things i think would have helped him greatly is if from a young age he'd spent time volunteering with kids less fortunate than he. he grew up in an elitist environment where people are incredibly blessed in so many ways (looks, talent, success, fame, money, etc) but at the same time are quite shallow & self-absorbed. i think that really skewed his perspective on life. in many ways i had a similar, but not entertainment-industry oriented, upbringing. it can be quite toxic.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    i can't either. :P i admit i do find knowing what makes people tick rather fascinating.

one of the things i think would have helped him greatly is if from a young age he'd spent time volunteering with kids less fortunate than he. he grew up in an elitist environment where people are incredibly blessed in so many ways (looks, talent, success, fame, money, etc) but at the same time are quite shallow & self-absorbed. i think that really skewed his perspective on life. in many ways i had a similar, but not entertainment-industry oriented, upbringing. it can be quite toxic.
    There's a LOT of things that could have helped him. Providing for a child is not the same as raising one.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera
    I'm hoping that he's not another medicated gamer turned enraged social misfit because he couldn't fit into the real world.
    That does appear to be the profile of the last half dozen or so mass murderers in the US. According to theblaze.com, " Rodger details throughout his manifesto that he filled a void in his life with violent video games starting at a young age."

Violent videogames + medication = psychotic episode in some people?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    That does appear to be the profile of the last half dozen or so mass murderers in the US. According to theblaze.com, " Rodger details throughout his manifesto that he filled a void in his life with violent video games starting at a young age."

Violent videogames + medication = psychotic episode in some people?
    I think there'd be more factors than that, but I wouldn't rule it out as one.

I think he was playing up to 14 hours a day of World of Warcraft. I think that's more of a symptom than the root. Probably not helping though.

I've worked with socially isolated kids before and one thing they do love, is unrestricted playing of video games.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I think there'd be more factors than that, but I wouldn't rule it out as one.

I think he was playing up to 14 hours a day of World of Warcraft. I think that's more of a symptom than the root. Probably not helping though.

I've worked with socially isolated kids before and one thing they do love, is unrestricted playing of video games.
    I think it appeals to the ability to accomplish/meet goals that are easily quantifiable (compared to real life, where often the goals are not clear nor are you necessarily equipped to handle them) -- all you have to do is keep playing in order to level up and acquire power -- as well as the ability to be someone other than oneself and be accepted in a way one might not be in real life. Potency + acceptance.

I think the WoW thing was a coping mechanism. I see it all the time and experienced it in my own life as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

in his manifesto he didn't mention seeing therapists at a young age--we know he did from the family friend who has spoken to the press--or mention taking any psych meds. as an adult he did mention his psychiatrist and how he was prescribed an anti-psychotic. he said he didn't think it was the right med for him at all and so refused to take it. i did get the sense this was a psychiatrist he'd seen before but i can't be sure of that at all. iirc, he referred to the doctor as "my psychiatrist" which would indicate an existing relationship.

he mentions being addicted to WoW and gave it up completely a couple times because even he realized it was unhealthy for him. he seemed to live in a fantasy world on a number of levels.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    in his manifesto he didn't mention seeing therapists at a young age--we know he did from the family friend who has spoken to the press--or mention taking any psych meds. as an adult he did mention his psychiatrist and how he was prescribed an anti-psychotic. he said he didn't think it was the right med for him at all and so refused to take it. i did get the sense this was a psychiatrist he'd seen before but i can't be sure of that at all. iirc, he referred to the doctor as "my psychiatrist" which would indicate an existing relationship.

he mentions being addicted to WoW and gave it up completely a couple times because even he realized it was unhealthy for him. he seemed to live in a fantasy world on a number of levels.
    He also mentions a female therapist at one point and in the end refuses to see her because he likened it to prostitution.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

He was mentally ill yet was legally able to buy not one but two automatic pistols and reams of ammunition.

The State that legally allows the mentally ill to arm them selves with automatic weapons has something fundamentally wrong with it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    He was mentally ill yet was legally able to buy not one but two automatic pistols and reams of ammunition.

The State that legally allows the mentally ill to arm them selves with automatic weapons has something fundamentally wrong with it.
    Have to agree, bizarre (it's semi-automatic, btw. Fully automatic weapons of any kind are VERY difficult to obtain legally).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    On a semi related note, "PUA" industry gets a lot of hate (often deserved), but at least they are making some effort to 'fix' guys - and sometimes it works. Better than shaming them for having needs that they can't find a way to fulfill.
    No. It never works.Here's why.

...how much of a solution is training a guy who is already filled with a toxic mixture of entitlement and self-loathing (yes, these strange bedfellows do often go together) in some techniques that might help him to tamp down his insecurities enough to manipulate some willing or not-so-willing women into bed?

You might have simply turned a mass killer into a serial rapist, or possibly a serial killer. Ted Bundy was quite the charmer. Somehow this didn’t make him a decent human being.

Even if “game” were the beneficient form of “self-improvement” that some of its proponents like to claim it is, teaching Rodger how to be a better dater would not make him a better person. Would having a girlfriend solve all his problems? Hardly. Relationships require patience and compromise and mutual respect, and Rodger seems to have had none of these qualities. Instead of directing his narcissistic rage at “girls” at large, he would likely have ended up abusing a string of girlfriends.

The problem wasn’t Rodger’s lack of “Game.” It was his lack of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Like I said, it'll happen again. For the exact same reasons. And we'll all call him out. And then we'll all forget. Very few are really interested in any sort of solution. They're either self interested, or interested in the sensationalism of it all. What's funny in all this is...the guy isn't even wrong. Something is really messed up with this "society" and it's not because of a bunch of shooters. Shooters aren't the disease, they're a symptom to a much bigger problem. The overlooked issue in all this is how this guy kept on throwing the word "God" around like it was nothing.
    If this outcome is as likely to be repeated as you suggest, surely we should be pre-emptively locking up all those men who remain virgins into their twenties to protect ourselves from their "inevitable" vindictive rage, no? Or maybe we should just shoot them all - put them out of their misery, save the taxpayer some money?

What differentiates your 'mark my words, women will pay' terrorist rhetoric from the narcissist in the videos, exactly?

And yes, he's a terrorist. (Will people please stop suggesting that a lay diagnosis of "Asperger's" has anything to do with this atrocity. It's sickening. Since when was obsession with status a characteristic of ASD anyway?)

There's no question that he's a 24-carat narcissist, which is the relevant factor in this case, and a PD like narcissism is notoriously unresponsive to treatment. He should have been locked up under anti-terrorism legislation or sectioned, at the very least. My guess is he wasn't brown enough. And, sadly, not all that exceptional.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 05-30-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.