User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I was waiting for this to turn into a gun debate.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    I was waiting for this to turn into a gun debate.
    I tried to restrain myself. It's really a conversation for another thread.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

'The virgin killer'

I think it would be productive to assign a silly name to all the serial killers. No narcissistic person would ever want that destiny.

I doubt he was a psychopath. A psycho would probably resort to rape, whereas a narcissist would be too proud for that (a guy with npd would expect women to throw themselves at him; the opposite would be humiliating)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I tried to restrain myself. It's really a conversation for another thread.
    Meh, I'm not so sure. You can only discuss the shooter and all the details so much. Gun control is naturally going to be a part of this convo, it's definitely a PART of the discussion, IMO, I just hope it doesn't go full blown. Then again, I don't really care that much.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Yeah, I did realize that the manifesto was the same day. What struck me (at least in the article I read) was that the therapist called the MOM not the police.
    that is weird. isn't she legally obligated to call the police?

Yeah, it's really nuts how all these situations, seems like something could have been done. Even though hindsight is 20/20 a lot of the situations, it isn't just, "this kid said he thought about harming others once" it's very blatant. Parents calling in very disturbed by the videos, behaviour (before the revenge video/manifesto, the day of), therapists, teachers making calls to police, department heads at school, parents.

James Holmes, can't remember all the details, but seemed like warning signs were all over the place. And the mom just left the gun safe open to him, or gave him the combo.

That's another thing that's wrong:

Parents
    Parents
    Parents

In THIS situation, sounds like they were doing a lot. Seemed like the system was at fault.

I don't think mentally disturbed people should always be locked up either, but sadly, as it is, that's the only way a red flag goes up if that person later tries to buy a gun. I'm sure these laws are incredibly hard to pass, but in theory, seems so simple. Doctors/Therapists/Judges deem some kid a danger to himself and others, that should, at the very least, temporarily prevent the purchase of firearms, IMO.

There's always going to be situations that just can't be prevented; guys getting guns illegally, or using knives, or homemade explosives, with very little warning signs. But seems like there's some situations that can be prevented.
    yup.

kid should have just written a novel rather than a manifesto. it's not like others can't relate generally to what he was feeling. they just don't go kill and maim people. see: holden caulfield.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Meh, I'm not so sure. You can only discuss the shooter and all the details so much. Gun control is naturally going to be a part of this convo, it's definitely a PART of the discussion, IMO, I just hope it doesn't go full blown. Then again, I don't really care that much.
    Perhaps, but frankly there's a difference in the way I would want to talk about this as far as the details and the way people may be personally affected vs. the way rational public policy should deal with these things. While others see this an opportunity to make use of the emotional response I see that as distinct from the policy discussion. Talking about the details, personal impact, #yesallwomen , gun control, and mole's anti-american rabbit trails is going to create a very difficult environment if they're all done in the same place. All of those are important discussion, though (well, obviously, except for the last one).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Perhaps, but frankly there's a difference in the way I would want to talk about this as far as the details and the way people may be personally affected vs. the way rational public policy should deal with these things. While others see this an opportunity to make use of the emotional response I see that as distinct from the policy discussion. Talking about the details, personal impact, #yesallwomen , gun control, and mole's anti-american rabbit trails is going to create a very difficult environment if they're all done in the same place.
    Agree, there's definitely some, ahem, people that do it for an emotional, provoking reaction.

If talked about in context and relevancy, I'm A-ok.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    @Noll -- that must explain why he started by stabbing his three roommates to death; why he wrote of skinning victims alive and pouring boiling water over them; why he chickened out when he knocked at the door of the sorority and rang the doorbell, but went away when nobody answered.
    This is not something I'm interested in debating about, what I said was just something out of pure impulsivity.

yes, let's give people 24 hours to commit their crimes before reporting them.

from abc news

Under California law, psychotherapists have a “duty to protect” and are required to report “a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim” to local law enforcement within 24 hours. The law, which used to require therapists to “immediately report” the identity of a threatening patient, was amended in October 2013 to better define the timeline to one full day.

"'Immediately' is undefined, and changing the standard to '24 hours' will add certainty and consistency to the reporting,” the bill to amend the law read.

Calls to the office of state Sen. Ted Gaines, who introduced the bill, and Tom Ammanio, chair of the Assembly Committee on Public Safety, were not immediately returned today. [...]

The name of Rodger’s therapist has not been released. It’s also unclear at what time he or she received the email linking to Rodger’s manifesto.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    This is not something I'm interested in debating about, what I said was just something out of pure impulsivity.
    @Noll --

No debate given then, taking you at your word.

Off to bed with me--after midnight locally & I have to go to work.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.