User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You'd be okay with private firearms sales being regulated like automobile sales, with every firearm having a title?
    To repeat myself:

I believe in being able to sell a gun to my friend over cash and a handshake. The same way I can sell a car to him. The same way I can sell anything that I own.
    I can go to a friends place with $7000 and buy a car and drive it home. I believe in maintaining your average citizen's ability to do the same with a gun.

No I don't believe guns should be regulated exactly the same as cars are. I just think that the ability to conduct a private transaction without gov't oversight is an important freedom to maintain.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    To repeat myself:

I can go to a friends place with $7000 and buy a car and drive it home.
    You cannot legally do that without it being properly licensed, either with a temporary tag or a license plate.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You cannot legally do that without it being properly licensed, either with a temporary tag or a license plate.
    Did I say you could? Captain straw man strikes again.

To reiterate again.....

I believe in being able to sell a gun to my friend over cash and a handshake.
    No I don't believe guns should be regulated exactly the same as cars are. I just think that the ability to conduct a private transaction without gov't oversight is an important freedom to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    6 times? Wow, good for you.

I believe when therapists find an email with a manifesto claiming their patient is going to go on a murderous rampage, perhaps, and call me crazy here, that therapist should call the police. In fact, I believe they're required to, when death threats against others or themselves are mentioned. This brilliant therapist did not.

"It was Friday night when Elliot Rodger's mother got a call from her son's therapist that he had emailed a ranting manifesto about going on a deadly rampage."

"Rodger's father, a Hollywood director, and his family say they warned cops about disturbing videos weeks before the shooting rampage their son committed near the University of California-Santa Barbara"

Good job police! Though I'm not an LEO so I don't know if they flooded with these calls. Still, there was video blogs, and lots of other VERY disturbing evidence.
    he sent the manifesto and posted his rampage video the day he committed the murders so it all happened at once. the previous incident, which i can't remember the details right now, is when the police went to his apartment but didn't think he posed a threat. i believe that is when the therapist had called the police and they really should have taken his therapist's judgment over the kid acting all polite when they spoke with him. of course second guessing their decision is easy to do in hindsight but if a therapist tells the police he's a danger then geez can't they search his room and confiscate his weapons and/or give him a 72 hour involuntary hold?

As in the Virginia Tech Massacre, Seung-Hui Cho displayed numerous infractions, stalking co-eds, was warned by the police more than once. Teachers found disturbing stories about him killing others. Therapists thought he was dangerous and reported it to the police.

Actually a report concluded that the school's mental health systems "failed for lack of resources, incorrect interpretation of privacy laws, and passivity."

Yes absolutely. If you ever say, "Man I hate that guy, he's such a douche, I hope he gets in car accident," you should definitely report that person to the police (sarcasm). Get real.

I agree with you there. Cho, and this kid, should have been placed in institutions, mandatory. Which WOULD have been on the (NICS).
    wasn't james holmes, the colorado theater shooter, also reported by his female professor, who i think was a psychiatrist or something, to campus security or the police? again, it doesn't seem it was taken seriously enough whatever the details were. i know he mailed his plans to shoot people to this professor.

i'm not really in favor of just locking people up in institutions, but i do think the police need to take this stuff more seriously. i know there was an article in the los angeles times recently about police getting more training in southern california about dealing with the mentally ill due to our large homeless population of whom many have mental illnesses. this is happening partly because of the schizophrenic homeless guy in orange county who was beaten to death by the police when he was unarmed. he did have a violent history but it sounds like the police mishandled the situation and the guy died. there were no criminal convictions for the officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    One has to wonder why males are overwhelmingly overrepresented in these rage attacks.
    Americans killing Americans has been valourised in 1776 and in 1861. And valour is a cultural imperative of men.

American men express their valour with guns and killing other Americans.

Australian men by contrast express their valour by protecting the lives of children by successfully banning guns.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    he sent the manifesto and posted his rampage video the day he committed the murders so it all happened at once. the previous incident, which i can't remember the details right now, is when the police went to his apartment but didn't think he posed a threat.
    Yeah, I did realize that the manifesto was the same day. What struck me (at least in the article I read) was that the therapist called the MOM not the police.

Yeah, it's really nuts how all these situations, seems like something could have been done. Even though hindsight is 20/20 a lot of the situations, it isn't just, "this kid said he thought about harming others once" it's very blatant. Parents calling in very disturbed by the videos, behaviour (before the revenge video/manifesto, the day of), therapists, teachers making calls to police, department heads at school, parents.

James Holmes, can't remember all the details, but seemed like warning signs were all over the place. And the mom just left the gun safe open to him, or gave him the combo.

That's another thing that's wrong:

Parents
    Parents
    Parents

In THIS situation, sounds like they were doing a lot. Seemed like the system was at fault.

I don't think mentally disturbed people should always be locked up either, but sadly, as it is, that's the only way a red flag goes up if that person later tries to buy a gun. I'm sure these laws are incredibly hard to pass, but in theory, seems so simple. Doctors/Therapists/Judges deem some kid a danger to himself and others, that should, at the very least, temporarily prevent the purchase of firearms, IMO.

There's always going to be situations that just can't be prevented; guys getting guns illegally, or using knives, or homemade explosives, with very little warning signs. But seems like there's some situations that can be prevented.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    It surprises me when gun enthusiasts say having stricter gun laws won't prevent anything, how can someone be so stupid? This guy had legal weapons, violence would have been committed nonetheless, but it would have been more difficult and probably lighter. If you don't support gun laws you support murder, technically. This argument is probably nothing new, though.
    @Noll -- that must explain why he started by stabbing his three roommates to death; why he wrote of skinning victims alive and pouring boiling water over them; why he chickened out when he knocked at the door of the sorority and rang the doorbell, but went away when nobody answered.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Did I say you could? Captain straw man strikes again.
    You cannot sell a car the same way you can sell "anything you own". There's no straw man being built here, you've stated you can sell a car the same way you can sell a pair of old shoes (or any other mundane item). You cannot. There are a lot of rules (regulations) when it comes to selling a car.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You cannot sell a car the same way you can sell "anything you own". There's no straw man being built here, you've stated you can sell a car the same way you can sell a pair of old shoes (or any other mundane item). You cannot. There are a lot of rules (regulations) when it comes to selling a car.
    Cash in hand title in hand, are you aware of craigslist?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Cash in hand title in hand, are you aware of craigslist?
    No sale is complete until it has been registered with the state. You can shake hands all day long, but if you don't pay your sales tax, pass vehicle inspections, etc, there is no sale. The title does not change hands, legally. It's not the same as selling "anything you own".