User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    So why are woman who don't want to have sex with particular men at fault for their rampages?
    why is it always "who's at fault?" or "who is right?" with some people? isn't it obvious?

he was wrong, it's his fault...does that make any of those people less dead?

it goes...problem->solution. it doesn't go problem->blame.
    that's how things never get done.

I wish we would stop making a big deal of these shooters. Screw them. This attention is exactly what they wanted. Whatever "issue" they wanted to bring up in their "manifesto" is being discussed. This is what they wanted.

Let's remember and honor the victims instead.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    why is it always "who's at fault?" or "who is right?" with some people? isn't it obvious?

Soooo if I hand out more sex I will make the world a better place?
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I wish we would stop making a big deal of these shooters. Screw them. This attention is exactly what they wanted. Whatever "issue" they wanted to bring up in their "manifesto" is being discussed. This is what they wanted.

Let's remember and honor the victims instead.
    Yup we are wrapped around their trigger finger, Men like him are killing the spirit of America which is already in the sewers praying that we'll go European

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Guess what happened to the guy from the video...
    hey nico. yes, i was aware of what happened when i posted. the police didn't search his room though. if a person is foolish enough to post online that they want to kill people and their social worker/therapist feels it is serious enough to break client-therapist confidentiality to notify the police then why not search the guys room or find out from records on gun/ammo purchases, if that is something that can even be done, what sort of & how many weapons he had. did the police not search his room because they needed a search warrant? i don't know. maybe that is something to rethink either way. social workers/therapists tend to take client-therapist confidentiality really seriously, so if one contacts the police and tells them "hey this guy isn't joking around with this video" then i would hope the police would consider her word over how polite the guy was. geez. we'll never be able to completely prevent these sorts of mass murders, but i don't think we have to sit by and twiddle our thumbs while people amass large caches of guns & ammo if at the same time they are broadcasting to the world that they intend to use them to commit great harm. personally, i don't have a problem with a little less freedom if it means fewer of these mass murders. they are just becoming so common it is ridiculous. even though the police didn't find the cache of ammo and his plans they could have given him a 72 hour hold based on the social worker's concerns & the video. at that point his parents probably would have come up and discovered the cache when they went to his place to get him clothes or whatever.

eta: my sister went to uc surf board as it is fondly known. this was a long time ago but when i'd go visit her i'd stay in her sorority with her for the weekend. great memories...so it's especially sad to see this happened.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRainbows View Post
    Soooo if I hand out more sex I will make the world a better place?
    no one has the right to sex..so your question is void.

it's why life is hard.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

So you're not saying that if women don't put out we shouldn't be surprised when men do stuff like this? Because it sounds like you're saying it's the natural outgrowth of men not getting sex from women. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

What kind of solutions did you have in mind?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I mentioned the article was misled, and that's part of the reason. That said, I think the cause/consequence connection is solid - though I do not agree with the 'solution'.

Fine, but how should society treat men who are 'off'? Another good question would be what makes them 'off' in first place.

A chicken or the egg problem, imo.

Something to ponder.

--

Btw, not that anyone cares, but my sex life is going well and I definitely don't support the murder of innocent people. Some people aren't good with interpretation, so the obvious should be mentioned at times.
    @Rasofy --

H'mmm, given the circumstances, maybe it should be called a "rooster and the egg(s)" problem?

I thought I read the guy was fairly well-off financially, his dad was an assistant director in Hollywood, he drove a BMW?
    ...does not compute. I thought BMWs were chick magnets; otoh, you have the joke that "What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?" "With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside."

Mulling over the thread, and associated news stories & analysis, before coming to any firm conclusions.
    How's that for an INTJ?

Prayers up for all concerned.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Personal question from a n00b, @xisnotx --
    What is your Enneagram type and MBTI?
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

@xisnotx: I can appreciate what you wrote in your posts about the abject loneliness and isolation that a person can experience when dealing with an absence of love/affection/sex. I found your words to be very honest and heartfelt...I didn't feel that you were excusing the shooter's behavior or blaming women FWIW.

I can see where a diagnosis of Asperger's (or high functioning autism) may help shed some light on this incident, tragic that it is. An individual with high-functioning autism will often look to his/her environment to try to unravel the intricate codes of human interaction. He identified certain traits that he saw in other young men that made them successful: expensive sunglasses, car, clothes, politeness, etc. But in the end, he could only imitate the behaviors of people he saw around him, but couldn't use his social skills to connect with people, and in particular, girls that he felt attracted to. I think his bizarre laugh and flat affect point to a person so far removed from his emotions as he describes his loss/pain and the destruction he is going to create.

Autism is a developmental disability but it is also a classification and diagnosis in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV currently) and is continually being revised. Asperger's is going to be removed from the next revised manual to reflect a change in how autism is diagnosed. Professionals aren't sure how this re-classification is going to effect the ability for children to receive the appropriate behavioral supports and skill training to help them live as independently as possible. Social skills training is a large part of any goals for children with autism.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell