User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    It's more of a bureaucratic issue than a Constitutional issue. If a church or other entity wants to bond you in matrimony with more than three people, you're free to do that. Same with gay marriages. The issue is the paperwork and partner benefits, which the Constitution does NOT provide for.

It also doesn't provide benefits for heterosexual couples either, which is the issue. The government brought the marriage debate onto itself by politicizing straight marriage through tax breaks. If it would stay out of marriage altogether, it'd be a fairly cut and dry issue.
    The reason why people want a civil marriage is for rights however. If marriage was fully privatized, people would lose out on many rights granted by civil marriage, which is why they are so insistent on it. For example, if you live with someone and you help them raise their kids, which happpen to not be your kids, and the other perosn dies, the state will take your kids away as you do not have custody if you are not married legally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    The reason why people want a civil marriage is for rights however. If marriage was fully privatized, people would lose out on many rights granted by civil marriage, which is why they are so insistent on it. For example, if you live with someone and you help them raise their kids, which happpen to not be your kids, and the other perosn dies, the state will take your kids away as you do not have custody if you are not married legally.
    You can be married and they'll still take the kids if you haven't gone through adoption procedures. Parental rights is a different issue than marriage entirely.

In reality, marriage doesn't grant any civil rights. It grants tax benefits, which makes no sense (individual tax benefits for all citizens would help them both individually, plus all single people, so why do we specify married people when the rate of marriages is already causing a massive divorce rate), and it lets them to merge their finances. It also protects them from testifying against each other in court, lets them make legal decisions for one another, and gives them access through certain privacy restrictions (medical, for example). But those aren't constitutional issues. Those are bureaucratic issues that have arisen in their particular fields. The Constitution doesn't say anything about married people being able to see their spouses in the hospital. Nor does it say anything about financial codependency.

The larger issue is that we should have the rights to wave our constitutional rights for whoever we want, regardless of how the bureaucracy recognizes our relationship with the person. If I want a boyfriend to be able to visit me in the hospital just like my family can, I should be able to put them on some kind of medical rights list. I shouldn't have to marry them just for that.

Which is why I'm saying it's all an issue of paperwork. Married people already have to get marriage licenses, why not let them have whatever ceremony they want and then just combine the domestic partnership and marriage licenses into one civil union license? The religious beliefs of whoever performs the marriage ceremony should have no bearing on paperwork, and if the government hadn't gotten involved in a religious union to begin with, it wouldn't be subject to American political ideologies.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist