User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Same-Sex Marriage Ban Tossed in Pennsylvania (USA)

The verdict is being appealed, of course.
    But that looks like the last state in the Northeast to switch over.

This case is actually a little more interesting due to the history of the judge, John E. Jones III.

He's the same guy who oversaw the Dover trial on Intelligent Design back in the 2005-2006 (?) and judged that ID was just an attempt to teach creationism under another name.

Unless he's changed something in the meanwhile, he's also a Christian Republican by affiliation.

Pennsylvania gay marriage ban overturned by judge - Yahoo News

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Pennsylvania's ban on gay marriage was overturned by a federal judge Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III called the plaintiffs — a widow, 11 couples and one of the couples' two teenage daughters — courageous.

"We now join the 12 federal district courts across the country which, when confronted with these inequities in their own states, have concluded that all couples deserve equal dignity in the realm of civil marriage," Jones wrote.

An appeal to the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is likely. Gov. Tom Corbett's office had defended the law after Attorney General Kathleen Kane called it unconstitutional and refused to defend it.

State marriage bans have been falling around the country since the U.S. Supreme Court last year struck down part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

In all, 18 states give legal status to gay marriage. If Jones' decision stands, Pennsylvania would become the 19th and legalize gay marriage throughout the Northeast.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Yay!!

I love when people look at gay marriage bans as unconstitutional and discriminatory...which they are, duh!!

As a civil rights advocate I am astonished we are STILL having this debate in the U.S.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

good
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Good. This shouldn't even be an issue in 2014. (meaning, it's ridiculous some people still can't marry whomever they want to marry in the USA all because of a small minority of right wing fundamentalists imposing their own morals on society)

I also think polygamy should be legal.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Unless he's changed something in the meanwhile, he's also a Christian Republican by affiliation.
    Naturally.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Good. This shouldn't even be an issue in 2014. (meaning, it's ridiculous some people still can't marry whomever they want to marry in the USA all because of a small minority of right wing fundamentalists imposing their own morals on society)

I also think polygamy should be legal.
    Well, unfortunately it's not a 'small minority'. If my memory serves me right, 40-something percent of Americans still oppose gay marriage. Granted, a study recently came out indicating that Americans, even no-religious ones, tend to lie about how often they attend church. I think this shows how deeply religion, particularly Christianity, influences our culture for better or worse.

EDIT: according to a 2014 poll, 34 percent of Americans oppose gay marriage.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@captain curmudgeon: Yeah, it varies based on the demographics and mechanism/wording of the survey; I've seen opposition to same-sex marriage still range from 42-52%.

The thing is the bulk of opposition is in the Baby Boomers generation. People within the ages of 19-35 support same-sex marriage into the 62-65% range. And it keeps rising.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @captain curmudgeon: Yeah, it varies based on the demographics and mechanism/wording of the survey; I've seen opposition to same-sex marriage still range from 42-52%.

The thing is the bulk of opposition is in the Baby Boomers generation. People within the ages of 19-35 support same-sex marriage into the 62-65% range. And it keeps rising.
    What scares me, though, is how 'married' (pun sort of intended) to the idea of getting senior citizens' votes a lot of politicians seem to be. What happens to political trends when a higher number of baby boomers hit retirement in several years could be interesting.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    Well, unfortunately it's not a 'small minority'. If my memory serves me right, 40-something percent of Americans still oppose gay marriage. Granted, a study recently came out indicating that Americans, even no-religious ones, tend to lie about how often they attend church. I think this shows how deeply religion, particularly Christianity, influences our culture for better or worse.

EDIT: according to a 2014 poll, 34 percent of Americans oppose gay marriage.
    fuck them. they can build a massive time machine and go live in the 1950s. You should go with them immediately. Please. Leave.

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    fuck them. they can build a massive time machine and go live in the 1950s. You should go with them immediately. Please. Leave.
    Why would I want to go with them? 2014 isn't like 1954- times change for a reason.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug