User Tag List

First 567

Results 61 to 65 of 65

  1. #61
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard
    This is were we will never agree. It is a right. It's an infringement upon rights to disallow it.
    "The American Bill of Rights is essentially a list of things that the government is prevented from doing to you. Rights in the sense of exemptions from the power of government are very different from rights to things that can be provided only by incurring costs. Your right to free speech does not require someone else to pay for broadcasting what you say or to publish it in a newspaper or magazine. But if you have a right to water, then others are forced to pay the inescapable costs of getting it to you." Thomas Sowell, Applied Economics

    Healthcare insurance is also not a right despite what Obama tells you. Neither is college education; neither is marriage.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  2. #62
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    "The American Bill of Rights is essentially a list of things that the government is prevented from doing to you. Rights in the sense of exemptions from the power of government are very different from rights to things that can be provided only by incurring costs. Your right to free speech does not require someone else to pay for broadcasting what you say or to publish it in a newspaper or magazine. But if you have a right to water, then others are forced to pay the inescapable costs of getting it to you." Thomas Sowell, Applied Economics

    Healthcare insurance is also not a right despite what Obama tells you. Neither is college education; neither is marriage.
    Not here to discuss the first to. That is your opinion, and someone elses opinion. I will repeat myself: It is a right, and it's an infringement upon rights to disallow it. If you don't see that, then there is no reason to discuss this with you because (yet again) you won't bend.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  3. #63
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    "The American Bill of Rights is essentially a list of things that the government is prevented from doing to you. Rights in the sense of exemptions from the power of government are very different from rights to things that can be provided only by incurring costs. Your right to free speech does not require someone else to pay for broadcasting what you say or to publish it in a newspaper or magazine. But if you have a right to water, then others are forced to pay the inescapable costs of getting it to you." Thomas Sowell, Applied Economics

    Healthcare insurance is also not a right despite what Obama tells you. Neither is college education; neither is marriage.
    That would depend upon your interpretation of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", would it not?

  4. #64
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n
    That would depend upon your interpretation of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", would it not?
    Not really; I'm with Mr. Sowell on this one. Rights are actions that we can take without involving others. Exemptions from government intrusion don't require anyone to take action. My right to own a gun doesn't require any action from you or others. If an act requires a sacrifice from others, then it's not a right because it can not exist on its own.

    Free healthcare insurance can not exist on its own without others paying for it, so it's not a right. This is a privilege that's enforced by threat of force. If people don't pay taxes so that others can have healthcare insurance, they go to jail. The rights in the Bill of Rights don't require that others make sacrifices. See the difference?

    "We are endowed by our government with certain unalienable rights, that among these are gay marriage, free healthcare, and a $10.10/hour minimum wage." The American Left
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  5. #65
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Not really; I'm with Mr. Sowell on this one. Rights are actions that we can take without involving others. Exemptions from government intrusion don't require anyone to take action. My right to own a gun doesn't require any action from you or others. If an act requires a sacrifice from others, then it's not a right because it can not exist on its own.

    Free healthcare insurance can not exist on its own without others paying for it, so it's not a right. This is a privilege that's enforced by threat of force. If people don't pay taxes so that others can have healthcare insurance, they go to jail. The rights in the Bill of Rights don't require that others make sacrifices. See the difference?

    "We are endowed by our government with certain unalienable rights, that among these are gay marriage, free healthcare, and a $10.10/hour minimum wage." The American Left
    I see the difference you are making, but then shouldnt we just outlaw all civil marriages? Btw, this is a serious question. I actually agree with what you are saying, that rights are something which are things which are not granted through force imposed via taxpayers money, but I think then that this actually goes beyond gay marriage(though Id like to stay on topic).

    So then, to stay on topic; what does allowing gay marriage have to do with forcing taxpayers to pay for others marriages?

Similar Threads

  1. Support for Same-Sex Marriage Climbs to New High
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  2. Question for those who oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds:
    By Brendan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
  3. Same-Sex Marriage
    By metaphours in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
  4. Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?
    By ez78705 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
  5. Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO