MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Pregnant Wife in Sudan Sentenced to Death for... Apostasy

American Rushes to Sudan to Save Pregnant Wife From Hanging - Yahoo News

A Sudanese immigrant living in New Hampshire has returned to Sudan to try to save his wife, who is eight months pregnant and facing the death penalty there for marrying a Christian. Daniel Wani is a Sudanese man with U.S. citizenship who has been living in Manchester, N.H.

His wife, Meriam Yehya Ibrahim Ishag, became the focus of worldwide news reports last week after the Sudanese government sentenced her to death. She is eight months pregnant.

The Islamic court considered Ishag a Muslim and did not recognize her marriage to Wani, a Christian. That constituted a crime of adultery and she was sentenced to receive 100 lashes.

The court also found her guilty of apostasy by converting to Christianity and sentencing her to be hanged.

The flogging and the death penalty were to be delayed until after she gave birth.

Ishag is considered Muslim by Sudan's courts because her father was Muslim, though she raised by her Christian mother.
    Sooooo... pregnancy by her husband is adultery because he's a Christian.
    ...but what demands the death penalty is converting to Christianity despite being raised in a Christian setting.

Completely different mindset, it's a wonder that communication between cultures is even possible... if it is.

...The U.S. condemned Sudan's court ruling last week, with both the State Department and the White House calling on Sudan to uphold its human rights commitments.

U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte, who represents New Hampshire, has asked Secretary of State John Kerry to grant Ishag political asylum.

The Sudan Tribune reported over the weekend that the country's parliament speaker, al-Fatih Izz Al-Din, downplayed the death sentence and said it was only preliminary and could be appealed in the future.
    Interesting. "Hey, no biggie -- pregnant mom with a month to live, this was just our first stab at justice. Don't fret too much."

Thoughts?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Interesting. "Hey, no biggie -- pregnant mom with a month to live, this was just our first stab at justice. Don't fret too much."
    the whole situation is horrible but they won't be executing her for a year. they are allowing her to have the child first.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    the whole situation is horrible but they won't be executing her for a year. they are allowing her to have the child first.
    She's eight months pregnant. She'll give birth in a month.

Will she be allowed to breastfeed the child (etc) for a year?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ndovjtjcaqidthi

they won't be executing her for a year. they are allowing her to have the child first.
    Oh, ok.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

What's going to happen to the child? I can't imagine the government will be able to provide a very nurturing environment if this is how they treat their citizens.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    She's eight months pregnant. She'll give birth in a month.

Will she be allowed to breastfeed the child (etc) for a year?
    i don't know if they'll allow her to breastfeed the child. i know in some cultures breastfeeding is much more common than in the US so that might not be an issue they quibble over if that is how children are normally fed. i did read her execution isn't for a year. correction: CT says it is 2 years after the birth of her child. i read she is currently incarcerated and isn't receiving any medical attention which sounds terrible considering she's pregnant. i have no clue what will happen with the child. would they let the father raise it? i'd hope so. somehow he has US citizenship so hopefully they can find asylum here.

here's a petition for her release anyone can sign to send to the sudanese embassy in your country. don't let the fact that a christian organization is posting this petition stop you from signing it. the letter isn't from them; they are just posting it on their site.

wow. in one of their articles they say her 20-month year old son is in jail with her. she's a real slouch too--she's a doctor. grr.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

i don't know if they'll allow her to breastfeed the child. i know in some cultures breastfeeding is much more common than in the US so that might not be an issue they quibble over if that is how children are normally fed. i did read her execution isn't for a year. correction: CT says it is 2 years after the birth of her child. i read she is currently incarcerated and isn't receiving any medical attention which sounds terrible considering she's pregnant. i have no clue what will happen with the child. would they let the father raise it? i'd hope so. somehow he has US citizenship so hopefully they can find asylum here.
    Thanks for the information and to the person who also PM'ed me the article link.

Two years gives them more time to work through a better solution. Although, really, it's ludicrous.

The father is a US citizen. So I'm not sure how it works with the kids. He is a Christian, she is a Christian who they are claiming has to be a Muslim, but since her mom was a Christian and her dad a Muslim and so they still consider HER Muslim, I'm not sure what grounds they'd have to restrain him from taking his children to the States regardless of what happens.

EDIT: I agree, this is a human rights issue and not necessarily a "Christian" one. Just getting her somewhere safe and with her family intact is what matters.

MBTI
    INTP

This is a symptom of the single worst common belief with the farthest-reaching consequences in the Muslim world, and few in the West wish to acknowledge that a problem even exist......this is tragic and absolutely infuriating, and worst of all it actually obscures the extent of the problem. For every person formally tried for apostasy or blasphemy, there are at least dozens of vigilante attacks, thousands of public figures intimidated from advocating reforms, and millions intimidated in tiny ways every day, so that the worldview cannot be challenged through public debate and democratic practices. And without public support for the first principles buttressing all lesser 'negative' rights and 'democratic' values, progress in those areas remains fragile and most Muslim countries are trapped in a cyclical stagnation of their own making.

As for the specific case, I'm not sure exactly what our leverage is in this situation, and unfortunately the American public (and our politicians and news media) seems incapable of focusing on more than one humanitarian outrage at once, and the kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls are understandably receiving all of that limited attention right now.

she's had the baby and is in jail with the newborn and her toddler. she's supposed to be executed in 2 years when the baby is weaned. the husband is in the US and wheelchair bound. because he's christian the sudanese gov't doesn't recognize the kids as being his.
    Condemned Sudan woman won't give up Christianity, husband says - CNN.com