User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Geonat View Post
    The only thing I seem to have achieved by trying to unite and see things from all angles is that some people don't really trust me any longer. I can do nothing about that except telling them that I want peace and happiness for everybody.
    What happens when one man's peace is another man's oppression? When what makes one happy is the misfortune of another?

Perplexing.

There is no international citizenship, so to have the rights and responsibilities of a citizen, we need to be a citizen of a nation.

Over the last one hundred years we have tried totalitarianism of the right and totalitarianism of the left and both have failed. Our only success has been liberal democracy.

Unfortunaltely theocratic totalitarianism is on rise with Islam, Sharia and Jihad.

Fifty-seven Islamic States have rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in favour of Sharia, Jihad and religious cleansing.

So once again we will have to learn how to defend liberal democracy against Islamic totalitarianism.

A good place to start is, The Origins of Totalitarianism, by Hannah Arendt.

And as well there is movie out now called, Hannah Arendt.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

War and Nationalism is a result of Dick Fear, the fear that ones dick is inadequate that is why Men are the ones starting wars people are killing one another for self-esteem issues

I'm confused at what you are getting at.

There is a reason why Europe created the EU, at least metaphorically, and that is to keep another world war from being started in Europe. Although there are tensions all over Europe (and the rest of the world for that matter,) there isn't another place in the planet, except for Europe, that knows of the horrors that another war would bring. Germany has been picking up lots of flack with other countries because Merkel, and I do believe others in Germany do not want to kick Greece and Spain out of the EU for being deadweights (I am sure most Germans know the repercussions that will result.) Although my sense of what is going on in Europe is minuet at best....

If a World War was to start, it'll be because of the countries currently most bound to debt in Europe, and that is because other countries aren't willing to help, which isn't the case....yet. There does tend to be more nationalistic people and parties on the rise, but that is because of circumstances currently described, when a nation constricts, it tends to has more nationalistic views (like the United States and immigration.)

Freedom of Speech has gone down the drains everywhere, not just in China, it is just easier to say something in the U.S. (at the same time being slapped by your own peers as a form of conformity.) In China's case, it is just a limit on Freedom of Speech by the government, while in the U.S., it is some limits on Freedom of Speech by the government and a lot by peers.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Geonat View Post
    The only thing I seem to have achieved by trying to unite and see things from all angles is that some people don't really trust me any longer. I can do nothing about that except telling them that I want peace and happiness for everybody.
    You cannot please everybody because people's interests are often in conflict with each other. My solution is to prioritize and try hard to please a select group of people who are important to me.

I find people who try to please everyone superficial, fake. How can you possibly care about somebody without knowing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I find people who try to please everyone superficial, fake. How can you possibly care about somebody without knowing them?
    You use your head instead of your heart.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

did not mix their blood,
    That's obviously not true. Mixed marriages were very common in the Austro-Hungarian empire, where german acted as lingua franca. Mixed marriges are still very common among europeans, even if of course non-mixed marriages are more common due to geographical reasons.
    If you think there are big cultural differences between three people, one from Carinthia, one from Slovenia and one from Friuli (I'm taking three neighboring regions with different mother tongues as an example) well, you should think twice.
    Of course we europeans are masters at noticing minute differences among populations (ex. eating half an hour later or eariler in the evening) and making a very big deal out of it.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Tibetan nationalism is widely supported by left wingers but none of them would support, say, German nationalism.
    That's because nobody is oppressing Germany and denying that Germany is a national state. So there's very little reason to support a strong version of german nationalism (not to mention the fact that germans are free to form their own nationalist parties, as they're now doing with AfD).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    That's because nobody is oppressing Germany and denying that Germany is a national state. So there's very little reason to support a strong version of german nationalism (not to mention the fact that germans are free to form their own nationalist parties, as they're now doing with AfD).
    If you really believe this there's no point me arguing with you any longer...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    That's obviously not true. Mixed marriages were very common in the Austro-Hungarian empire, where german acted as lingua franca. Mixed marriges are still very common among europeans, even if of course non-mixed marriages are more common due to geographical reasons.
    If you think there are big cultural differences between three people, one from Carinthia, one from Slovenia and one from Friuli (I'm taking three neighboring regions with different mother tongues as an example) well, you should think twice.
    Of course we europeans are masters at noticing minute differences among populations (ex. eating half an hour later or eariler in the evening) and making a very big deal out of it.
    Really? The nobility may have done, but they formed a small proportion of the population. Everyone else pretty much kept to themselves, even if there hadn't been any interethnic conflict it simply wouldn't have been practical because before the Industrial Revolution most people lived in villages. But even after that, something kept people from mixing.

Mixed marriages have the potential to be more common now because English is becoming an international language in Europe due to business and the internet as well, and it is so easy for people to get from A to B - way too easy really. However these marriages still aren't very common and mostly seem to be between people of related ethnic groups, probably due to people being attracted to facial features similar to their own (i have posted studies about that before I think).

I think it is a classic NT thing to pick up little differences and draw conclusions from them. I can say that a world where everybody looked and acted the same way would be incredibly boring, but that is the wet dream of the political left.