User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 16.67%
  • Probably

13 18.06%
  • It's 50/50

7 9.72%
  • Probably not

22 30.56%
  • No

18 25.00%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INtP

Is it possible? Sure. But it's as likely to have happened long before humans showed up on the planet than not... and given the relative rarity of evidence for things that happened a long time ago, there's no reason to think we'd necessarily find the evidence or be able to definitively associate it with aliens.

The real question is... why would an alien civilization bother with visiting us? It's a mindbogglingly expensive proposition, and any civilization capable of getting here could get any sort of resource available on Earth in much vaster and easier to access quantities pretty much anywhere. Here's a cool image showing that Europa (one of Jupiter's moons) has more water than Earth does, for instance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post

The real question is... why would an alien civilization bother with visiting us? It's a mindbogglingly expensive proposition, and any civilization capable of getting here could get any sort of resource available on Earth in much vaster and easier to access quantities pretty much anywhere. Here's a cool image showing that Europa (one of Jupiter's moons) has more water than Earth does, for instance.
    It's the same reason why humans spend billions of dollars each year investing in NASA and space exploration, research and science.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I don't know. I like the idea. It entertains me. I like to listen to people talk about their evidence in favor of visitation. I just take it as a toy for my mind, though. I have no idea what the facts might be. It would probably take less to convince me that we have NOT been visited than it would to convince me that we have.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I love the group of misfits who answered 'yes'...

You could put those 7 on an island, and have quite a season of Survivor.

I think there might be one element missing, tho....

Do You Believe Belligerent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?
    In this forum, yes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

As far as we can tell, any other civilization that exists would have to be so far away that by the time news of our planet reaches them, we would appear as an easily overlooked speck of dust. That's assuming life on our planet isn't far more detectable than we currently imagine it is. It's quite possible that consciousness has a large impact on the universe, an impact that we either can't detect or that we blame on mindless natural phenomena. And it's also quite possible that extraterrestrial life is nearby and all around us but we can't see it or don't realize what it is.

A likelier event than extraterrestrial life directly visiting the earth is them communicating with us through media that don't require them to be physically present. These media might be things we would never think to credit to an extraterrestrial civilization.

How likely do I think it is? I see nothing that strongly suggests alien visitors have been in contact with us, so I have no compelling reason to think they have been. I do, however, think there is plenty of room for them to have been in contact with us. In particular, I don't find the light speed barrier to be very problematic. There are ways to twist and bend the structure of space and bring together very distant places.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I love the group of misfits who answered 'yes'...

You could put those 7 on an island, and have quite a season of Survivor.

I think there might be one element missing, tho....
    I was very impressed with the reasons for answering no, such as never having seen one, the aliens can't get here because their is technology insufficient, and the government is honest, wouldn't keep this a secret, and has a good reason to share it with the general public.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    I was very impressed with the reasoning for answering no definitively such as never having seen one, the aliens can't get here because their is technology insufficient, and the government is honest, wouldn't keep this a secret, and has a good reason to share it with the general public.
    I know...

It's like...

I've never even thought of any of those...

Who could possibly answer such strong arguments?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so