User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 16.67%
  • Probably

13 18.06%
  • It's 50/50

7 9.72%
  • Probably not

22 30.56%
  • No

18 25.00%
First 1234513 Last

Society

my initial reaction is to say no, at least if your talking about UFO kidnapping cow's and ancient astronaut's teaching egyptions to build pyramids and the likes.

that's being said, even if there's nothing out there in our immediate and easily visible environment at the moment, extending that to assume there never was makes things less likely - the fermi paradox creates an even wider probability-to-reality gap if you extent the "where are the fucking aliens?" to "where have aliens being since the dawn of earth?". so if i had to put my money on it: one of those day's we'll create accurate enough model of our solar system's origin, and have a good enough map to compare it too, and there will be this one little asteroid that was supposed to be a bit heavier then it is - the unexplained missing chunk. but that might be all that we'll find here: a race advanced enough to tour the stars would have probably solved the "i left my wallet at the hotel" problem.

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

My two 1/100ths of a cent:
    Considering how vast the universe is, I think it's highly likely that other intelligent life has existed but highly unlikely that it has ever visited Earth. It would obviously require an extremely advanced civilization to be able to travel so far through space, and even then the chances that these highly evolved beings would find Earth are very slim in my view.

I can think of all kinds of scenarios where it could happen (like maybe there were these advanced beings who had tools that allowed them to gain detailed knowledge of even distant galaxies and planets, and they eventually discovered that Earth is one of those rare planets with life so they set out to travel there), but it's just my excitable inner bad sci-fi writer, not my truth-seeking mind.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Probably not, because our planet is so awesome, surely they would have taken it over.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

probably not. but who knows man.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Ginkgo

For those of you who don't know exactly where the meme came from:

Infinite Bubble

This is a section of the universe on the scale of galaxy filaments. If you look closely, you might see Earth... or not.

If they have visited or are visiting, they would easily be able to hide themselves. We could be being monitored right now, and we wouldn't know it.

More importantly, who says the Earth is even remarkable enough to warrant a visit, from a species used to interstellar travel and have seen many such
    places?

The most likely occurrence would be if the civilisation is close to us and is aware of our planet, and interested in it, similar to how we have knowledge
    of a multitude of exoplanets. So we are one of their set destinations when they do begin to travel.

Otherwise, the chances of them choosing to travel here is minuscule. It's improbable, but that doesn't mean we have gone unnoticed from our neighbors.
    Likes Zarathustra liked this post

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Probably

Permabanned

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that suggests extra terrestrials have visited our planet. Former Canadian minister of defense thinks so.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Probably not, because our planet is so awesome, surely they would have taken it over.
    For them to have the technology to visit our planet light years away, there is a good chance that they are uninterested in taking over.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    More importantly, who says the Earth is even remarkable enough to warrant a visit, from a species used to interstellar travel and have seen many such
    places?
    We don't know anything about them. They could be different from us in so many ways that theories about why they would do things, from a human perspective, wouldn't account for what we don't know about them