User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 16.67%
  • Probably

13 18.06%
  • It's 50/50

7 9.72%
  • Probably not

22 30.56%
  • No

18 25.00%
First 111920212223 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Just as I am about to make 14,000 posts, yes fourteen thousand posts, you want to wind me back to zero. And just as my ego is inflating like a balloon, you want to pop it!

Are you a Leveller or a Luddite? You may accuse me of special pleading, but how about special privileges for those who reach 14,000 posts?

Should we be granted special privileges then it would be perfectly proper for you to appeal to our noblesse oblige.
    Congratulations

Sleeply............. Cat Brainz's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    973 so/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

This is certainly an interesting theory to debate. I do think it is probable that ET life has visited out planet in the past at some time in the past but maybe not when humans were around. With the length of time that has passed (Unless we are the first sapient species). It is plausible that life on Earth was the result of some ET experiment as it is kinda strange that life did sort of pop out of nowhere so that is an idea to consider.
    http://kevan.org/jh/cat+brainze

http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Cat+Brainze

Tell me is this a grin of joy or is it a grimace of pain?

Taking a cat nap
    9w1 7w6 3w4
    Likes Krim13, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Brain in a Jar View Post
    This is certainly an interesting theory to debate. I do think it is probable that ET life has visited out planet in the past at some time in the past but maybe not when humans were around. With the length of time that has passed (Unless we are the first sapient species). It is plausible that life on Earth was the result of some ET experiment as it is kinda strange that life did sort of pop out of nowhere so that is an idea to consider.
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"?

Sleeply............. Cat Brainz's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    973 so/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Korvinagor View Post
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"?
    Thats one idea thats possible. Another idea I have is that there could be a Star Wars style universe out there for all we know as the universe is so vast that it is possible the nearest clivzation to us is like 50000 light years away and perhaps they experimented on those primitive apes for intelligence just for shits and giggles as thats one of the main motives why people do stuff but I wonder what alien mindsets those aliens would have.
    http://kevan.org/jh/cat+brainze

http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Cat+Brainze

Tell me is this a grin of joy or is it a grimace of pain?

Taking a cat nap
    9w1 7w6 3w4
    Likes Krim13 liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

There's too many strange carvings and connections to make that make it highly probable they not only exist but have visited. It's perfectly logical even, given the vastness of space shouldn't be empty of life. Humans aren't special. With how little we know, we can't presume to so readily discount it.

Hell, maybe humanity did worship them as gods once. Would explain alot. That they wouldn't just lose their minds or hallucinate and just find ways to express what they couldn't understand. Not saying there's a vast conspiracy or anything though.(;

As a researcher, you'll find some things you just can't ignore or brush aside... Or maybe you will. Such is the way of things.
    Likes Cat Brainz, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    IntJ
    Enneagram
    85X sx

Certain scientific theories suggest that intelligent life should be common, and yet we don't see any evidence of it. The videos below explain the Fermi Paradox in 10 min:

Likes Cat Brainz liked this post

Jesus our God ascended into heaven and we look forward to his Second Coming. King Arthur is our once and future King. Mohammed rode into heaven on a white horse, and will return. We have so many myths of our Gods leaving us and ascending into heaven, so naturally we fantasise about ET descending to visit us.

But the universe is so big and the speed of light is so slow, and the lifespan of large celled animals like us is so short, the chances of intelligent life visiting us approach zero.

But still we long for the Gods to come back and visit us.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    826 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Do You Believe Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?
    No, and I'm not convinced that intelligent terrestrial life has ever visit this planet, either.

We evolved to be gullible. It's why we're prone to believing in things (UFOs, urban legends, etc.) that don't have a shred of evidence to support them.

Just think about it. If you lived in a village, and someone told you not to drink water from a certain pond because it would kill you, you would do well to believe them. They could be lying, but so what. If you don't drink the water, the worst that anyone can say about you is that you were gullible. However, if you do the drink the water, and the person was telling the truth, you DIE.

In other words 'belief' has an evolutionary advantage. The stuff we believe in is mostly bullshit. But we've done well as a species being stupid and believing it.
    Likes Floki, Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Vinum View Post
    No, and I'm not convinced that intelligent terrestrial life has ever visit this planet, either.

We evolved to be gullible. It's why we're prone to believing in things (UFOs, urban legends, etc.) that don't have a shred of evidence to support them.

Just think about it. If you lived in a village, and someone told you not to drink water from a certain pond because it would kill you, you would do well to believe them. They could be lying, but so what. If you don't drink the water, the worst that anyone can say about you is that you were gullible. However, if you do the drink the water, and the person was telling the truth, you DIE.

In other words 'belief' has an evolutionary advantage. The stuff we believe in is mostly bullshit. But we've done well as a species being stupid and believing it.
    Hardly comparable to a legend and hardly a stretch in logic. All these worlds, signs of life... people struggle to believe it? Come now. It's very likely. In our world, in our very home? Unsettling? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But we can't deny... there's plenty of odd things and there's a possibility it might, 'just might' be that they weren't just all stupid. Describing things beyond their comprehension in primitive ways. That maybe those weather balloons weren't weather balloons. And maybe some of those that claimed sightings actually saw what they claimed, especially if they're a credible source and literally have everything to lose talking about it. I can see the potential.

Problem is, no one cares to look beyond what they want. So we end up in this tug of war over and over again thinking they know. Nothing is as certain as it seems, and the wisest thing to do is not cage ourselves if we care to search for it.
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)

Eclectic Oddball, that I am

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    826 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Quote Originally Posted by Krim13 View Post
    Hardly comparable to a legend and hardly a stretch in logic. All these worlds, signs of life... people struggle to believe it? Come now. It's very likely.
    Actually, it's an incredible leap in logic. There are plenty of reasonable explanations for the appearance of UFOs without jumping to the conclusion it must be "ALIENS."

I don't mean to offend, but incredible claims require incredible evidence. Where is the incredible evidence that alien life not only exists but has 'likely' visited earth...?

And how is it not comparable to the stuff of urban legends? Some urban legends are actually more believable.

In our world, in our very home? Unsettling? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But we can't deny... there's plenty of odd things and there's a possibility it might, 'just might' be that they weren't just all stupid. Describing things beyond their comprehension in primitive ways. That maybe those weather balloons weren't weather balloons. And maybe some of those that claimed sightings actually saw what they claimed, especially if they're a credible source and literally have everything to lose talking about it. I can see the potential.
    Or they were human and made a mistake?

Problem is, no one cares to look beyond what they want. So we end up in this tug of war over and over again thinking they know. Nothing is as certain as it seems, and the wisest thing to do is not cage ourselves if we care to search for it.
    Searching is fine. I'm cool with SETI. Entertaining the notion that extraterrestrial life may exist is not illogical. We're here, right? So why not life on other planets?

It's a big leap, though, to think they've already been here.