User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 16.67%
  • Probably

13 18.06%
  • It's 50/50

7 9.72%
  • Probably not

22 30.56%
  • No

18 25.00%
First 41213141516 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    <redacted>
    Yes.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    If I happen to vote "Yes", will the tinfoil hat be supplied, or am I expected to bring my own?
    Punch and pie will be supplied, but this is and always will be a BYOTFH engagement.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Yes, because that's the only possible explanation there could be.
    I think it's ironic you're trying to back me into the corner as the person focused on a singular interpretation here... as what you said to me here is typically how I view you.

I think I've posted items that are both for and against alien visitation in this thread, and the reality is that I don't really know. I'm open, always have been; but i don't find what is being typically posted in this thread to be convincing. Sorry. But i am all for continued exploration of space and searching for life, no matter how long it takes.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    The probability is practically zero...
    Is that a fact?

...and there not a single piece of convincing evidence.
    Have you listened to the black box recordings I posted?

Have you actually done a thorough review of the evidence?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think it's ironic you're trying to back me into the corner as the person focused on a singular interpretation here... as what you said to me here is typically how I view you.
    Interesting.

Cuz while reading your trite views on this topic, I was reminded of your trite views on politics.

Interesting how that stink seems to follow you around.

I think I've posted items that are both for and against alien visitation in this thread, and the reality is that I don't really know. I'm open, always have been; but i don't find what is being typically posted in this thread to be convincing. Sorry. But i am all for continued exploration of space and searching for life, no matter how long it takes.
    Interesting, cuz I've seen nothing but trite, uninteresting, poorly considered arguments from you.

A smart 10-yr old would be able to blow them all out of the water.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I voted 50/50 just like in the last thread. No real way of knowing, but with some really strange things pointing to a yes, but no solid proof.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

FigerPuppet

Is that a fact?
    It's a fact that the probability is so close to zero that it can be assumed to be zero for all practical purposes.

Have you listened to the black box recordings I posted?

Have you actually done a thorough review of the evidence?
    I did watch some of the History Channel production, but not all of it. Though I have spent quite a few hours in the past watching this kind of stuff on YouTube as entertainment because it's creepy in the same way that a horror movie is creepy. It is nonetheless conjecture and conspiracy based on observations which have other, much more probable explanations (natural phenomena, hysteria, etc) than intelligent extraterrestrials; explanations I am compelled to favor as an advocate of Occam's razor.
    The observations vary greatly in both trustworthiness and description, so it would take me way too long to go through all of them by-point. And, to be honest, I don't think I have a complete overview over what proponents of E.T. Ufology consider their silver bullets of evidence. But I think it would be good for the discussion if you could list what your consider to be the most definite pieces of evidence in support of the theory, if you haven't already done so (sorry, didn't read entire thread).

Question: I am curious as to why the History Channel being the only place in popular media where you will find material seemingly in support of E.T. Ufology does not make you question the quality of the supposed evidence, and thus the theory itself? The dramatic effects alone make me wary of anything from that channel.
    I have a feeling most believers are also aware of this, but excuse it by calling on the government cover-up ("Our evidence is weak because the government is covering it up") aspect of the theory, which with regards to evidence rests on the words of a few select ex-officials.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

It's a fact that the probability is so close to zero that it can be assumed to be zero for all practical purposes.
    That's not a fact.

I did watch some of the History Channel production, but not all of it.
    How much did you watch?

You should watch all of it.

Though I have spent quite a few hours in the past watching this kind of stuff on YouTube as entertainment because it's creepy in the same way that a horror movie is creepy. It is nonetheless conjecture and conspiracy based on observations which have other, much more probable explanations (natural phenomena, hysteria, etc) than intelligent extraterrestrials; explanations I am compelled to favor as an advocate of Occam's razor.
    I don't believe swamp gas and weather balloons explain all of these phenomena.

As Michio Kaku, Steven Greer, myself, or anyone who has looked into this stuff will tell you: ~90%-95% of it is explainable.

But ~5%-10% of cases don't have any credible explanation, and the intelligent extraterrestrials explanation does make sense.

The observations vary greatly in both trustworthiness and description, so it would take me way too long to go through all of them by-point. And, to be honest, I don't think I have a complete overview over what proponents of E.T. Ufology consider their silver bullets of evidence. But I think it would be good for the discussion if you could list what your consider to be the most definite pieces of evidence in support of the theory, if you haven't already done so (sorry, didn't read entire thread).
    Nico asked me to do so above.

As I told him, what I have posted in-thread are the best pieces of evidence I have found.

I have already done a vast amount of work, filtering out the nonsense, to bring you those.

I am still doing work on this, but it really would behoove you to watch what I have posted.

Not only is the information good, in an of itself, but it will aid in future discussion of this.

Question: I am curious as to why the History Channel being the only place in popular media where you will find material seemingly in support of E.T. Ufology does not make you question the quality of the supposed evidence, and thus the theory itself?
    It's not.

ABC, Fox, and pretty much every major TV source has run some kind of material on this at one time or another.

But the stories are few and far between, and they generally seem to not like to focus on it too much.

Amongst other viable reasons, I don't think any of the editors necessarily want to be that station.

The dramatic effects alone make me wary of anything from that channel.
    Yes, I understand.

Some productions are worse than others, tho, and I don't think it's too much to ask you to use your critical mind and push that to the side when examining the information.

So far as we know all living things on Earth have the same DNA. That is, for four and a half thousand million years we have all shared the same DNA, of four letters.

It is physically possible for living things to have a different DNA, of more or less letters. Such living things with a different DNA are truely alien.

It may be that there are creatures on Earth who are truely alien, and we can accurately determine this by sequencing their DNA.

So it may be biologists who first discover aliens on Earth.

On the other hand biologists doing gene sequencing have not discovered alien life yet on Earth.

But news is just in that a biologist has succeeded in inserted a fifth letter into the normal four letter genetic code into a living being. This fifth letter being is truly an alien.

So we have created an alien ourselves.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Well. It just has the potential to veer into total and unbounded conspiracy theory territory. More potential than the intelligent life in the universe in general question, because imo, there's much less basis for answers, whether theoretical or factual. It might be fun to read about intelligent interstellar clouds spawning life on earth/destroying humans indiscriminately (have you read Fred Hoyle's The Black Cloud?) but hearing people actually talk about it is often a strange mixture of sleep and rage inducing.
    It is not only the clouds.