User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 16.67%
  • Probably

13 18.06%
  • It's 50/50

7 9.72%
  • Probably not

22 30.56%
  • No

18 25.00%
First 2101112131422 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    Perhaps this might help you understand.

source : UFO's and Extraterrestrial Aliens - Why Earth Has Never Been Visited
    Flawed reasoning at it's best.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah for sure i saw them alien skulls on ancient aliens thats shits for real yo!

no really...yeah maybe.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It would be silly to form any sort of belief about a matter that is impossible to judge as right or wrong at the moment. It would explain a lot, but also is so far fetched that its impossible to even start to think about the possible %'s of yes and no.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

like for real as a spiritual person that believes there are levels of spiritual existence outside of the physical realm where we transport and communicate with thought and even interfere and communicate with others living on earth and just the pure vastness of that unseen reality it is not much of a stretch whatsoever to make room for the possibility of other species with much different capabilities than our own.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    It would be silly to form any sort of belief about a matter that is impossible to judge as right or wrong at the moment. It would explain a lot, but also is so far fetched that its impossible to even start to think about the possible %'s of yes and no.
    That's kind of my reaction to the, "Well, if they're SO advanced, we wouldn't even know they had visited earth!" argument.

Yes, that's very true, and needs to be mentioned. But it's also not much different than Descartes' "evil demon," or perhaps the solipsist arguments, or "dinosaur bones exist because Satan created them to fool humanity into accepting evolution." They can't really be argued. Any argument will have to come from other means and evidences; we could speculate and even depend on these arguments, but they're really "faith" statements of sorts moreso than more evidential arguments.

I'm not sure how we'd even assign "percentage chances" to whether "aliens are so advanced they must have already visited earth."

I guess what we could say is that obviously aliens intelligent enough to understand who we are and how to communicate with us haven't actually found much compelling reason to make actual overt contact. At best we've gotten fleeting glimpses and a few individual contacts, if such stories can be relied upon. if they wanted to make themselves known, we'd know of them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Current evidence suggests that it can't be happening and perhaps the time frame of it ever happening has passed as our universe accelerates in expansion. But then again in the past it was said it cannot be done, when someone else stepped up with new information that suggests there is an alternative way to reach far star systems that was never considered because at the time the evidence didn't point in that direction.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Thanks for the thread tag Z, it was an interesting question to ponder.

I'm honestly still not sure though. If we're able to find planets similar to Earth, it would make sense if things evolved in similar ways too. But the way we evolved was just one specific path and there are tons of other ways things can develop too. But who knows, anything is possible.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It seems clear that there are UFOs, but that's literally all anyone (I think) can say about them -- they are unidentified flying objects. We don't know what they are or who they belong to or what their purpose is.

ETA: I hope there are creatures besides us. I'd give anything to meet them. It's one of my favorite fantasies.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's kind of my reaction to the, "Well, if they're SO advanced, we wouldn't even know they had visited earth!" argument.

Yes, that's very true, and needs to be mentioned. But it's also not much different than Descartes' "evil demon," or perhaps the solipsist arguments, or "dinosaur bones exist because Satan created them to fool humanity into accepting evolution." They can't really be argued. Any argument will have to come from other means and evidences; we could speculate and even depend on these arguments, but they're really "faith" statements of sorts moreso than more evidential arguments.

I'm not sure how we'd even assign "percentage chances" to whether "aliens are so advanced they must have already visited earth."

I guess what we could say is that obviously aliens intelligent enough to understand who we are and how to communicate with us haven't actually found much compelling reason to make actual overt contact. At best we've gotten fleeting glimpses and a few individual contacts, if such stories can be relied upon. if they wanted to make themselves known, we'd know of them.
    The psychology of belief in "close encounters of the first kind" isn't a far cry from religious faith, either. Loneliness gives birth to a need for believing in something far greater than yourself. In turn, unorthodox beliefs lead you into isolation. The faith then reinforces itself even in the face of potential doubt. Whatever you wind up believing, it's important to take those biases into account if you happen to have them - for objectivity's sake.

The problem I have with the theory that we've been visited is that it always assumes that the government is involved in a cover-up. In fact, if you take many of the principles from "the problem of evil" (assuming aliens are benevolent and powerful enough to assist us), then you're left with the conclusion that they have, and that we must be under some conspiratorial spell. As if national leaders are competent enough to have shrouded such a thing in a mystery. It also stands to reason that our leaders would be cooperating with extraterrestrials; but if that's the case, then why would we be having these "sightings"?

I've had sightings myself, and honestly the idea that we could reach out and contact the unearthly fills me with more passion than I have for most things. Conversely, the idea of alien abductors dragging me into their sterile laboratory makes my blood run cold in a way that most other things don't. Still, I don't really know how to make sense of my experiences and I shy away from definitive conclusions about them.

Honestly, if you want multiple eye-witness testimonies, then look no further than "The Phoenix Lights" incident.

Last year, Steven Greer, a retired medical doctor and "ufologist" made an effort to piece together a groundbreaking documentary (Sirius), featuring testimonies of everyone from respectable military officials to complete cranks. The documentary focused heavily on some "extraterrestrial" fossil that just turned out to be a human child after DNA samples were taken. Prior to scientific scrutiny, Greer was absolutely convinced it was of alien origin, and amassed donations from UFO enthusiasts in order to produce the film under the pretense that the fossil was as special as he thought it was. In the end, it seems to me that he took unfair advantage of his supporters just so he could disappoint them. This is why I don't get on the hype train - it leads you to believe that simple observations affirm your assumptions even when they don't. You do so at the expense of others, and even that bolsters your assumptions.

MBTI
    WILD

Thanks for the tag but it's been a long time since I dug into this topic.

There are tons of declassified documents stating the existence of Ufos, and events that can't be explained by any meteorological phenomenon, or the presence of airplanes or military experiments:
    - the belgian ufo wave (1990)
    - Washington 1952 (interestingly this incident was foretold by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_J._Ruppelt )
    - Falcon lake (1967)
    - Ufos apparition in Mexico during the solar eclipse (1991)
    And so on...

Governments have taken it very seriously (since, approximatively, the beginning of the WWII) and still maintain a high degree of confidentiality (so I guess we don't even have the most interesting informations...).
    Some have argued there's a correlation between the development of nuclear and ufo activity (cf: the top secret report "Analysis of Flying Objects Incidents in the US")

But at the moment, we can only get lost in conjectures about an ET intelligence visiting us (or making some anthropological study ). I think it is possible, so I'm just keeping my mind open...