User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life Has Visited Our Planet?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 16.67%
  • Probably

13 18.06%
  • It's 50/50

7 9.72%
  • Probably not

22 30.56%
  • No

18 25.00%
First 8910111220 Last

Socionics
    ILI

Methinks the probability of life on planets is tied to the feasible distance between two optimal planets. Ergo, the lower the probability of life's occurrence on a planet, the greater the distance more likely between the constant planet (Earth) and the variable planet (the probability incarnate). With the uncovering of more planets and star systems in the observable universe that most likely do not contain life, let alone intelligent life (which would further decrease the probability due to the existence of only one (arbitrarily) species defined as intelligent currently known against the billions of species that do not meet the arbitrary standard, thus the probability shrinks even further), vastly increasing the likely distance between the constant and variable planets. Then, we have to account for the probability that the civilization initiating contact would be of such a greater intelligence as to reach a standard similar to that of a Type I, II, or III Civilization on the Kardashev Scale* (decreasing the probability of the existence of a species reaching a level similar to that of the bullshit III Civilization, but also increasing the probability that contact could be easily initiated from farther distances, throwing the entire system on a dynamic teeter-totter), so that the intelligent species would be able to reach us from such a far distance away. Ergo, the probabilities lie in favor with no, on this question. However, because of the very nature of probabilities, there is still, undoubtedly astronomically microscopic, a chance that two planets will contain life within mere light years of each other, and even smaller for intelligent life, thus increasing the probability for the initiation of contact due to the shorter distance and fluctuating other factors.

I feel insane for typing that all out.

I'll look at the provided videos when I have time to see what to make of them.

*Which is mostly arbitrary bullshit, but worth investigating.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I'm way more informed.

Which then can be very frustrating.

Because people will try to argue about issues, and I simply know that they have no idea what they're talking about.

I have mountains of evidence that basically contradict, fly in the face of, and destroy what they're saying.

It has, at times, led me to be very frustrated and angry.

It can be rather lonely and isolating.

Since the spring of 2004, I was predicting that the biggest recession since the Great Depression was coming in ~5 yrs.

My family got so sick of me talking about it, I was banned from doing so at holiday gatherings (when we'd usually see each other).

Of course, when I started working in the stock market, I completely saved my father's portfolio (he pulled all his money out the month before the crash, as he and my mother were leaving for a trip to Russia, the Baltic, and Eastern Europe for several weeks, and I told him I had a really bad feeling about the market [they went on that trip in August '08, and the market tanked in September {hilariously, I'd completely forgotten about this, but was reminded of it during a recent business meeting with one of his former colleagues}]).

I had already put all my money into long-dated goverment bonds back in Dec '07 (the peak of the market).

That ended up being the best performing asset class in '08 (and one of only two [cash being the other] that experienced positive returns).

So, there are definitely benefits to it.

But the costs are basically isolation and loneliness, as few other people are in the head space you are.
    There is an author in the 80s that predicted the future using this kind of method - reading lots of stuff. John Naisbitt.

http://www.amazon.com/Megatrends-Ten.../dp/0446356816

Here are the ten top trends he identified in 1982. Most of them seemed to have come to fruition.

(1) Becoming an information society after having been an industrial one
    (2) From technology being forced into use, to technology being pulled into use where it is appealing to people
    (3) From a predominantly national economy to one in the global marketplace
    (4) From short term to long term perspectives
    (5) From centralization to decentralization
    (6) From getting help through institutions like government to self-help
    (7) From representative to participative democracy
    (8) From hierarchies to networking
    (9) From a northeastern bias to a southwestern one
    (10) From seeing things as "either/or" to having more choices.

Do you have any predictions?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    There is an author in the 80s that predicted the future using this kind of method - reading lots of stuff. John Naisbitt.

Megatrends: Ten New Directions Transforming Our Lives: John Naisbitt: 9780446356817: Amazon.com: Books

Here are the ten top trends he identified in 1982. Most of them seemed to have come to fruition.

(1) Becoming an information society after having been an industrial one
    (2) From technology being forced into use, to technology being pulled into use where it is appealing to people
    (3) From a predominantly national economy to one in the global marketplace
    (4) From short term to long term perspectives
    (5) From centralization to decentralization
    (6) From getting help through institutions like government to self-help
    (7) From representative to participative democracy
    (8) From hierarchies to networking
    (9) From a northeastern bias to a southwestern one
    (10) From seeing things as "either/or" to having more choices.
    Interesting.

Not familiar with him.

I would argue some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Do you have any predictions?
    Umm...

Fermi paradox

ETA: Do You Believe In Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life?
    Last edited by phobik; 05-18-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: rep
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Already mentioned by @Seymour in the other thread.

I really don't find it compelling at all.

The last of their assumptions is extremely suspect.

And, well, who's to say it hasn't already been colonized or visited?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Already mentioned by @Seymour in the other thread.

I really don't find it compelling at all.

The last of their assumptions is extremely suspect.

And, well, who's to say it hasn't already been colonized or visited?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    How do you know this for sure? Have you done any research on the subject? The only thing you know is that nothing has been reported by the United states government.
    We have our own biologists and our own astronomers so we are not dependent on the Government of the USA.

I speak to professional biologists and professional astronomers, and they tell me that neither they, nor their professional collegues, have discovered any evidence of extraterrestial life.

However we are on a site that believes in the superstition of astrology, so it is only a small step to believe in the superstition of aliens.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We have our own biologists and our own astronomers so we are not dependent on the Government of the USA.

I speak to professional biologists and professional astronomers, and they tell me that neither they, nor their professional collegues, have discovered any evidence of extraterrestial life.

However we are on a site that believes in the superstition of astrology, so it is only a small step to believe in the superstition of aliens.
    So by that logic I'm guessing only the professional astronomers and biologists you speak to would know everything there is to know about the presence of extraterrestrial life on this planet. Doesn't sound very convincing to me.

So by that logic I'm guessing only the professional astronomers and biologists you speak to would know everything there is to know about the presence of extraterrestrial life on this planet. Doesn't sound very convincing to me.
    Superstition appeals to the worst in us, while evidence and reason appeals to the best.

I don't understand the argument people claim who think UFO's are "too far away" or "It is highly unlikely" to visit earth. These arguments only pertain to the technological advances and ideas we as humans acquired over the span of our own life time not the universes life time. There are beings out there who could easily be thousands or millions of years ahead of us technologically. For us 100 light years away is too far and thus "unlikely" for anything to come and visit us. Our time here as a human race and our technological advances are so miniscule compared to the rest of the universe you can't even hold a handle against it thus you are a fool to convince yourself certainly that aliens have not visited earth.
    Wow, good thing I didn't assert that in any way, shape or form then, isn't it?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari