User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe intelligent life exists elsewhere in our universe than on Earth?

53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 45.28%
  • More likely than not

18 33.96%
  • It's 50/50

4 7.55%
  • Less likely than not

4 7.55%
  • No

3 5.66%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe In Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life?

4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Do you believe intelligent life exists in our universe elsewhere than on Earth?
    I think it's arguable that intelligent life even exists on Earth.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

9w1 sx/so

I believe there are a million things we cant comprehend about how the universe works. I imagine that there could be civilizations centuries ahead of us elsewhere. We haven't been around that long and there's so much that we don't know.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

What do YOU believe @Zarathustra???
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Several reasons:

• The question asks if I "believe". I hold no beliefs on that score. My following points are speculative arguments, not beliefs.
    • I consider 50/50 to be "hedging", cuz really, intelligent life is ought to be very common given the number of possible starting points as described by the Drake equation. Yet we see no evidence, which implies that it is not merely uncommon, but extremely rare. Therefore "None" is much closer to the truth than 50/50 or 100% or even Less likely than not.
    • It could be common enough to appear in places and times other than here on Earth, but not simultaneously with our time, thus "None" would still be accurate.
    • Even disregarding all of the above, "intelligent life" is ill-defined (as OrangeAppled implies). Do we count dolphins and chimpanzees as qualifying? Do we count beings who are as far evolved above us as we are evolved above ants, when they leave no evidence of anything that we would classify as intelligent?

Finally, I regard SETI as pseudo-science that unfortunately got treated as scientific. The Drake equation is nonsense, pseudo-math, a philosophical argument disguised as a scientific argument.
    I would've bet money an INTP would've been the first to say this...

Only it would've gone more like, "How do you define intelligent? How do you define 'life'? Could not my real doll girlfriend also be called 'living' in some sense?".

My question was brought up because of what I believe to be the nature of intelligent life - which is that humans are far and above other earthly life because of having a spiritual nature, which other I think other earth creatures are not endowed with. The spiritual nature & kind of intelligence humans possess are hand-in-hand to me. This would be why all the physical ingredients which enable human-like life to exist may be found on other planets, but the actual life is not or has not been found, because it's not a matter of what can physically be supported. But I don't claim to know the spiritual purpose for the rest of the universe & how it has thus far manifested.

I venture to post this because in the context of this thread, I will sound only half as nuts as the other posters are bound to come across as. I can always count on INTPs to be crazier than I am :P.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post

I don't see how people can say "probably not" considering how goddamn, farking ginormous, mind bendingly huge, unfathomably, incomprehensibly, like real big, the Universe is.

Our galaxy, The Milky Way, number of Stars: 120,000,000,000
    Approximate number of Galaxies in the known Universe: 100,000,000,000
    If we're the only ones here, it seems like an awful waste of space.

... but like what uumlau says... beliefs? What do beliefs have to do with it? We can make arguments to show whether something is more or less likely (or, if direct evidence exists, to show something to be true), but I don't see the point in believing or not believing.

Also as others have said, what exactly is "intelligence" and how would we recognize it if it were far advanced of our own or a completely different type?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I voted yes mainly because I am a Star Trek/sci fi fan.

However I read in a Michael Cricton novel - I believe it is the Sphere - that life on earth was an accident with the probability of it occurring under the right circumstance is less than 1 in a million. Can't remember the exact probability but the ratio was extreme.

So basically a character in the novel was arguing that it is highly unlikely that aliens could exist.

The Typing Tabby Array grey_beard's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

Haha, my beliefs exactly.

Terrence McKenna argued that psychedelic mushrooms were a type of alien intelligence, as spores can survive the vacuum of space for millions of years, perhaps on an asteroid.
    @johnnyyukon, @Zarathustra, --
    What? Nobody mentioned HHGTHG and certain "hyperintelligent shades of the colour blue"?

Off-topic, slightly sophomoric, for humor's sake:

Q. What has three balls and comes from outer space?
    A. E.T., the Extra Testicle.

"Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Haha, my beliefs exactly.

Terrence McKenna argued that psychedelic mushrooms were a type of alien intelligence, as spores can survive the vacuum of space for millions of years, perhaps on an asteroid.
    I find it hard to utter the name "Terrence McKenna" with a straight face.

His voice sounds like Zorak from Space Ghost, for fuck's sake.

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

I'd say less likely than not. That there is life out there is probably a fact, but intelligent life requires a very specific set of parameters. It took earth several billions of years even though our planet has been brimming with life all that time after all.