User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe intelligent life exists elsewhere in our universe than on Earth?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 45.28%
  • More likely than not

18 33.96%
  • It's 50/50

4 7.55%
  • Less likely than not

4 7.55%
  • No

3 5.66%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, to the former, I would say yes.

To the latter, I would say no.

The latter is too supernatural for this poll.

I understand that one could posit that the latter could eventually become the former, but...

I'm assuming, if you're willing to go that far, then you're willing to posit that there are probably lower forms of intelligent life than them as well, no?

I mean, you could assume not, I suppose, but, if things were to have gone that far, the probability would be leaning in that direction...
    I just wanted to know the terms so I can vote correctly. I'd vote "less likely" if we're talking intelligent, physical life on another planet, similar to humans. I'd vote "yes" if it includes spiritual beings who could be said to be in the universe (or a part of it), but not technically on earth. I thought you were referring mainly to the former, but I wanted to be clear.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Terrence McKenna argued that psychedelic mushrooms were a type of alien intelligence, as spores can survive the vacuum of space for millions of years, perhaps on an asteroid.
    I'm a pretty open-minded guy, so, until I do a bit more research, I will at least hold this out as a possibility...

But, frankly, it sounds like that dude did too many magic mushrooms.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Depends on how intelligent, but I think it's very likely that at least some form of life exists outside Earth. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence for extremely advanced extraterrestrial civilizations, on the Kardashev scale human civilization is currently a type 0. If extraterrestrial civilizations existed at type 2 or higher there should be at least some evidence of this from astronomy, if these civilizations formed millions of years before ours they would've had plenty of time to colonize the galaxy, there should be some signatures of their energy usage.
    Are you bringing up the "advanced" bit to suggest past contact with them was unlikely (ie. many conspiracy theories have suggested aliens have visited earth or contacted humans)?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I just wanted to know the terms so I can vote correctly. I'd vote "less likely" if we're talking intelligent, physical life on another planet, similar to humans. I'd vote "yes" if it includes spiritual beings who could be said to be in the universe (or a part of it), but not technically on earth. I thought you were referring mainly to the former, but I wanted to be clear.
    *shakes fist*

Always with the complications, you INFP...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

*shakes fist*

Always with the complications, you INFP...
    We just gotta cover every angle

WALMART

i believe in many worlds

some even just like mine

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Are you bringing up the "advanced" bit to suggest past contact with them was unlikely (ie. many conspiracy theories have suggested aliens have visited earth or contacted humans)?
    Yeah I'm assuming past contact didn't happen, I'm also assuming from our current understanding of physics, there are a lot of unknown variables(like undiscovered energy fields, particles, ect) that could be their sources of energy.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

figsfiggyfigs

I BELIEVE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I'm a pretty open-minded guy, so, until I do a bit more research, I will at least hold this out as a possibility...

But, frankly, it sounds like that dude did too many magic mushrooms.
    Very possible. And it's unlikely to ever be "proven" but I've done a lot, and one time, as per McKenna's instruction I took a double dose of Philosopher's Stone psychedelic truffles, straight from Amsterdam (I was in Germany), by myself, at midnight. After one of the most insane trips I've ever had, I don't discard his theory now.

Buuuut, this is kind of tangent.

I don't see how people can say "probably not" considering how goddamn, farking ginormous, mind bendingly huge, unfathomably, incomprehensibly, like real big, the Universe is.

Our galaxy, The Milky Way, number of Stars: 120,000,000,000
    Approximate number of Galaxies in the known Universe: 100,000,000,000

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I don't see how people can say "probably not" considering how goddamn, farking ginormous, mind bendingly huge, unfathomably, incomprehensibly, like real big, the Universe is.

Our galaxy, The Milky Way, number of Stars: 120,000,000,000
    Approximate number of Galaxies in the known Universe: 100,000,000,000

I agree