User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Honestly, I don't really care for generalisations in general. Being the living exception myself I fully realize its futility.

Of course, I can watch some show or whatever and see some americans being all weird. But what I feel from those things is my empathy for all those americans who are probably watching the same thing on tv thinking "omg...".If someones being 500 pounds or being a religious nutjob. I'd call them on it, but I won't label and file them under the category 'American'.

I do have a big attitude in general though. I'm quite stubborn and opinionated. It's just that my opinions generally have a fair share of thought put into them.
    As an American, I am one of those people hanging my head in embarrassment thinking "omg..." when I watch that crap too.

My ex is from eastern Europe and I have to agree with his negative opinions of America, in particular our huge failings in the areas of:

-discounting scientific data on climate change
    -healthcare
    -gun control
    -reproductive rights (including repressed sexuality)
    -distorting of historical facts to fit our current inflated sense of "exceptionalism"
    -environmental protection

How can a country sooo obsessed with graphic sexual images (reality TV) be so sexually repressed? idk.....
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    How can a country sooo obsessed with graphic sexual images (reality TV) be so sexually repressed? idk.....
    The things we(as humans) repress, are the things we most ambivalently express.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

^@Typh0n: good answer!!

I just know that when I watch foreign films or shows there is this ease and understanding of humans being sexual beings. I am living in a culture where sexuality is vilified AND revered...it is simply the human condition at its purest, neither of those extreme views is accurate.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Slavery is a completely different issue to immigration, and it's completely dishonest for you to compare the two. You do not have to support slavery to want your country to be ethnically homogenous, though liberals try and make it seem like all the people who think this way want to own slaves as well.

The first US immigration act, the Naturalisation Act, specifically spoke of free, white men. The reason racial restrictions on immigration were not put into the American Constitution, in fact legal documents i can think of in any country for that matter, was because they were agreed upon. These things were considered to be obvious and nobody at the time could've suspected that leftist agitators would successfully undermine their wishes centuries later.

I can guarantee that all of the Founding Fathers would find America's inhabitants unrecognizable today.
    So slavery and wanting only white american citizens are completely unrelated? Interesting.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" edited by Benjamin Franklin. So you're saying that "except the blacks and germans!" was something he left off becauses it was assumed?

Interesting.

14th Amendment: The legislation grants citizenship to all persons born or naturalized in the United States. It also forbids states from denying any person his life, liberty or property, without a due process of law. It was meant to protect the civil rights of all Americans regardless of their race or gender.

Btw, I still respect the opinions of Europeans about America, and I agree with many of them. This thread has not been a waste for me.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    So slavery and wanting only white american citizens are completely unrelated? Interesting.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" edited by Benjamin Franklin. So you're saying that "except the blacks and germans!" was something he left off becauses it was assumed?

Interesting.

14th Amendment: The legislation grants citizenship to all persons born or naturalized in the United States. It also forbids states from denying any person his life, liberty or property, without a due process of law. It was meant to protect the civil rights of all Americans regardless of their race or gender.

Btw, I still respect the opinions of Europeans about America, and I agree with many of them. This thread has not been a waste for me.
    Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. You are not taking historical context into account with your interpretation of the text (what the people who wrote it would've intended it to mean).

Blacks were not considered to be "men", legally, any more than women or children were. Understand that "Men" to the Enlightenment philosophes in the 18th century and their American ideological descendants meant people like them, it was about class and nothing else...they did not view women, Jews (at least in Europe) and certainly not negroes as their equals.

The idea that everyone is innately equal stems from Trotskyism in the early 20th century, racial and gender equality are communist ideas which have bit by bit been adopted into Western culture since the 1920s.

And I'm not suggesting that that's a good thing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Americans are like other people, just more so.
    There is a great deal to be said for Americans namely that for 100 years they have been the bulwark against totalitarianism. And this is why we support them.

Sigmund Freud was civilized and naturally supported civilization but he wrote the book, Civilization and Its Discontents.

And in exactly the same way we write about America and its discontents.

WhoCares

This is the idealism and condescension which all non-Americans get offended by.
    +1. Tkae is a shining example of the attitudes which inspire a dislike for Americans. Its a school yard attitude of 'we are the best'. I've dealt with a lot of American tourists in my country and to be honest I'd like most of them to take their vacations in the good ol' USA.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Its a school yard attitude of 'we are the best'.
    But, we are the best.

Haha, I'm mostly kidding. Being raised in one of the most powerful countries in the world I think gives us that brashness.

I lived in Germany for a year, and I remember once I was there long enough and saw American tourists talking very loudly at a bar about very stupid things, I was like, "I wish these douchebags would shut up."

All in all, I agree with a lot of the negatives. It's a cryin' shame. (I'm not going to defend anything I disagree with in this thread though).
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    ..Europe bitches about all the problems in the world without having the balls or initiative to actually do anything..
    "Stop trying to see what's going on inside someone else's window, and set your own household in order."

I hope that everyone who thinks like this goes to iraq and gets shot in the head.

Also are you aware of that american intervention(due to this sort of attitude that you are displaying) fucked up afghanistan really badly. I mean women have fled to somewhere because they would had been raped and now they only have little boys who have no family and are forced to work for police and army personnel as "tea boys" who work as servants and 5-10 year old fuck dolls to sweaty old men with no moral codes? And no, its not USA army folks doing the majority of little boy ass raping, but these are the people who americans chose to be the allies and next police men and military officers in charge and who the americans allow to act the way they do. And its the americans who caused the situation with this wanna be hero shit. Also i dont think you are familiar with the fact that USA uses radioactive ammunition which causes severe birth defects to many in middle east and have used the same stuff in vietnam and knew what it causes.

Now spend few minutes imagining that little 5 year old boy who got fucked in his ass by several 40+ year old men for several hours and is now bleeding because his ass isnt adjusted to this sort of stuff yet and he hears foot steps and laughter of several new men and his "owner" coming towards his room and knowing that this will happen again and also knowing that if he tries to escape like his best friend did, he will get shot or will starve to death like his brothers did, and then tell me whether you think it was good thing that americans went to save afghanistan.

ps. eurpean countries do a lot of stuff that help developing countries. and i dont think that its all eu = good and america = bad, because some stuff that UN forces for example do, i dont approve, but the immorality, ignorant attitude(which is funny because they try to be soooo not ignorant about this and see not intervening as ignorance) and overall retardness of americans about this matter is beyond all.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Another thing that irritates me about them is how they are so obnoxiously loud, and are oblivious as to how affronting other people find this.
    I couldn't agree more.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.