User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

All interesting points so far.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Unfortunately I have to agree with many of the negatives (as well as the positives! but this will be a glass half empty post), although the ignorance part, I believe is more regional.

I currently live in the Bible Belt, god help me, and after living in Europe for a year, Asia for half of one, and travelling all over, finding a good conversation in this town is like finding a water fountain in the desert. All of my smart/interesting friends got out and stayed out a long time ago.

I seem to "click" with people from California, and have been there a few times. I lived in Colorado for 2 years, and obesity there is minimal (though may be worse in rural areas). In fact I believe it was rated #1 healthiest states. EVERYONE I met was into some kind of outdoor sport, it was pretty cool.

Although I think many factors contribute to the non-culture, or rather, shallow culture (whhoooooeeee beer pong!!) is the geographical isolation. Sure there's Mexico, which can be dangerous or Canada, which, no offense to Canadians, doesn't sound quite as exotic as "Rome" or "Paris."

And our sense of community is fucked up. Definitely in the bible belt, if you want to be a part of a large community, you better join a church. I know lots of people who aren't even religious, and they go to church, just to make friends or network.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Jullie Amerikanen zijn allemaal vette, luie en domme varkens. Ik laat een scheet in uw algemene richting. * :P
    Don't blame me; blame Google Translate for selling you short!

... I appreciate the feedback in thread, it's good to hear general perceptions from outside the country.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Europeans in general don't have a great attitude about America.

My Irish ex-pat boyfriend has a friend from Germany whose specific issue is our "world policing". Which I always end up saying (with the addendum that Ireland doesn't count since it's practically not even European) is because Europe bitches about all the problems in the world without having the balls or initiative to actually do anything, and last time we let Europe or Asia or Africa try to police themselves they went on genocidal rampages.

Europe is just inbred at this point. Having funny little song competitions to vote for bearded man-womans.

I have a lot of opinions about Europe, so I probably should stop about now before I get carried away... but yeah. Europe has lots of opinions about America. Europe also hasn't been relevant for the last 70 years. Connect the dots on that one.

EDIT: I should also note that I'm extremely patriotic, particularly about the fact that America is built on the emigrant trash Europe carelessly discarded. I completely believe that what makes America great is our commitment to freedom, and how that freedom enables the oppressed individuals of other "authentic" cultures to flourish and prosper as Americans.

I don't subscribe to the belief that immigration is a bad thing. I think the most un-American part of our society today is our attitude towards immigration. If someone is willing to cross the desert and the Rio Grande in the name of freedom and equality and a chance for a better life, that's as American to me as baseball and NASCAR.

Yeah, there's stuff wrong with America, just like there's stuff wrong with lots of countries. But I still believe that we're fundamentally correct in our attitudes on most things and it's why we're still -- and, so long as we're faithful to the ideas of freedom and individual liberty and hard work and innovation, will continue to be -- the primary player in the world.

And anyways, the Dutchies are just mad we took their poor people and ended up getting rich by them. They can act snobby all they want, scurrying in and out of their pothouses and brothels. They should go dunk their heads in the cesspools they have for rivers. Or just wait until global warming drowns them, cause clearly the best place to build an entire country is below sea level.

But what do I know? I've only had an American education herp derp.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

I am Belgian, but lived in America for 13 years, so I feel I should contribute to this thread. I actually liked living in America better than in Belgium, its a bigger country and theres more opputunities to meet people and move around.

Things I liked about Americans(though I suspect alot has changed in 12 years)

-Their attitude; open, usually friendly, optimmisitc, trusting of new people
    -large vision of life
    -They have a very critical attitude towards theor own government, which leads to a "dont fuck with us" type attitude that I admire, although I think this is what many Europeans actually hate.
    -They can laugh at thelmselves usually, especially with stangers

What I disliked about Americans

-Puritanism
    -Overly authoritarian(cops and teachers)
    -They can be really rude/aggressive/unpleasant if they wanna be, and dont care how this coomes off to others
    -They tend to repeat popular truisms without questioning them(this isnt oblviously true of everyone though)

Contrary to many Europeans I meet here and online, I have a moslty postive vision of Americans, but maybe thats because I grew up there. Americans aerent without defects though, the next to last one particularly bothered me while I was there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I am Belgian, but lived in America for 13 years, so I feel I should contribute to this thread. I actually liked living in America better than in Belgium, its a bigger country and theres more opputunities to meet people and move around.

Things I liked about Americans(though I suspect alot has changed in 12 years)

-Their attitude; open, usually friendly, optimmisitc, trusting of new people
    -large vision of life
    -They have a very critical attitude towards theor own government, which leads to a "dont fuck with us" type attitude that I admire, although I think this is what many Europeans actually hate.
    -They can laugh at thelmselves usually, especially with stangers

What I disliked about Americans

-Puritanism
    -Overly authoritarian(cops and teachers)
    -They can be really rude/aggressive/unpleasant if they wanna be, and dont care how this coomes off to others
    -They tend to repeat popular truisms without questioning them(this isnt oblviously true of everyone though)

Contrary to many Europeans I meet here and online, I have a moslty postive vision of Americans, but maybe thats because I grew up there. Americans aerent without defects though, the next to last one particularly bothered me while I was there.
    Based on puritanism and being rude and aggressive and unpleasant, I'm guessing you lived in the North?

EDIT: Belgians are cool. You guys are my go-to example of countries that have done fine without federal governments. I always feel bad for you guys, being the cool ones stuck between the fat, arguing siblings.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    Based on puritanism and being rude and aggressive and unpleasant, I'm guessing you lived in the North?
    I lived in the North only for one year.

EDIT: Belgians are cool. You guys are my go-to example of countries that have done fine without federal governments. I always feel bad for you guys, being the cool ones stuck between the fat, arguing siblings.
    Thanks, haha.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I really don't think that's true. We mostly just don't understand a couple of things that are far from our way of thinking. Like, really, do you think the healthcare and university system are actually worth the enormous cost?

EDIT: I should also note that I'm extremely patriotic, particularly about the fact that America is built on the emigrant trash Europe carelessly discarded.
    Lol, that's not relly true either but I think now you're just being dramatic...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    We mostly just don't understand a couple of things that are far from our way of thinking. Like, really, do you think the healthcare and university system are actually worth the enormous cost?
    Hell no. And you're right it's INSANELY expensive. I'm not sure why either, never bothered to look it up. Probably a result of extreme capitalism. Many schools are money makers, and VERY often don't even leave a graduate with any real world skills.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

My Irish ex-pat boyfriend has a friend from Germany whose specific issue is our "world policing". Which I always end up saying (with the addendum that Ireland doesn't count since it's practically not even European) is because Europe bitches about all the problems in the world without having the balls or initiative to actually do anything, and last time we let Europe or Asia or Africa try to police themselves they went on genocidal rampages.

Europe is just inbred at this point. Having funny little song competitions to vote for bearded man-womans.

I have a lot of opinions about Europe, so I probably should stop about now before I get carried away... but yeah. Europe has lots of opinions about America. Europe also hasn't been relevant for the last 70 years. Connect the dots on that one.

EDIT: I should also note that I'm extremely patriotic, particularly about the fact that America is built on the emigrant trash Europe carelessly discarded. I completely believe that what makes America great is our commitment to freedom, and how that freedom enables the oppressed individuals of other "authentic" cultures to flourish and prosper as Americans.

I don't subscribe to the belief that immigration is a bad thing. I think the most un-American part of our society today is our attitude towards immigration. If someone is willing to cross the desert and the Rio Grande in the name of freedom and equality and a chance for a better life, that's as American to me as baseball and NASCAR.

Yeah, there's stuff wrong with America, just like there's stuff wrong with lots of countries. But I still believe that we're fundamentally correct in our attitudes on most things and it's why we're still -- and, so long as we're faithful to the ideas of freedom and individual liberty and hard work and innovation, will continue to be -- the primary player in the world.

And anyways, the Dutchies are just mad we took their poor people and ended up getting rich by them. They can act snobby all they want, scurrying in and out of their pothouses and brothels. They should go dunk their heads in the cesspools they have for rivers. Or just wait until global warming drowns them, cause clearly the best place to build an entire country is below sea level.

But what do I know? I've only had an American education herp derp.
    This is the idealism and condescension which all non-Americans get offended by.

I can't be bothered breaking down your post too much, but you need to do some research. Freedom, equality, et cetera, are not American values. They were first really put forward by John Locke, an Englishman, and expanded in the Enlightenment. Democratic ideals first appeared in Classical Athens. So don't bash Europe, that's where your views come from.

Your founding fathers also had opinions on immigration vastly different to what you've expressed, and I suggest that if you are loyal to your nation (and just not some neocon, which is what I suspect) you go and read them. I am not American, but even I know that Ben Franklin wanted immigration to be restricted to English and Irish people, and that Thomas Jefferson was against interracial marriage and thought blacks should not live in the same country as whites. I am not making this up, read it for yourself. I am not aware that they had opinions on climate change however