Thread: Halal Meat

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3/8 so
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Halal Meat

So with the raging debate about the legality and morality of halal meat becoming a relevant discussion (especially in the UK, in the run-up to the May European Elections), I figured I would sample opinions on the matter.

For the benefit of the less-informed;

Quote Originally Posted by The Interweb
    The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of God") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck, causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.
    So, thoughts? Does this breach the rights of animals? Should we give a damn as long as we get our bacon?

MBTI
    yupp

I like dead animal in my mouth. Even if I ate it while still alive it would still die. So we can't get around not killing it. So I don't have a problem with it
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

The idea of hallal meat, quite frankly, is stupid. I have no respect for it (like many illogical life-limiting religious traditio s). If you want to practice it, fine. Just do it on your own terms. The problem with this is it requires society to bend and conform to it in order for it to work. In many parts of the world it is something that can not, and should not happen.

If there is debate going on in regards to this I would like to hear it. Do you have any recent news links?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

It doesnt matter to me what the meat it, but it matters to muslims. Its fine if muslims wanna eat Halal, but they cant impose on others, lest we become an-Imam controlled society in Europe.

Interesting how this debate is going on in the UK...what is being discussed exactly?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffney View Post
    So with the raging debate about the legality and morality of halal meat becoming a relevant discussion (especially in the UK, in the run-up to the May European Elections), I figured I would sample opinions on the matter.

For the benefit of the less-informed;

So, thoughts? Does this breach the rights of animals? Should we give a damn as long as we get our bacon?
    Even Halal meet must comply to its country's animal cruelty and human slaughter laws as well as what you've spelled out. I'm curious, what would you suggest that is more humane than this?

MBTI
    INTP

Restrictions on religious freedom require a truly compelling state interest to be morally justified......perceived cruelty to animals does not qualify, except when there is solid proof of a very strong influence on anti-social human behavior (such as, theoretically, the communal stoning of kittens or something).

Support for individual rights is the single greatest reason to oppose traditional Islam (which is usually what these things are about).....violating the fundamental rights of Muslims defeats the very purpose of such opposition. The same goes for banning the hijab.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    [...] perceived cruelty to animals does not qualify [...]
    And actual cruelty?

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh come on, it's not like zapping the shit out of the cow or putting hot coal on the neck of the cow isn't cruelty?

I prefer that the cow be slaughtered. Gets all the blood out so that whatever blood borne virus or bacteria wont contaminate our food.

Also, people have different practices and religions. If it doesn't affect you then why get up your moral high horse and rage about it?
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

I don't care.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What's actually interesting here is that religious prescriptions on slaughtering aren't some kind of mumbo-jumbo pulled out of somebody's ass. They do take into account humaneness of the slaughter, in part because people in general do recognize suffering in animals naturally, but also because slaughtering an animal, especially without modern tools, it's important to do it as cleanly as possible and not startle the animal. This reduces the chance of a large animal harming you, of the stress response of the animal causing other animals to be difficult to handle.

The other prescriptions have to do with health and safety of the meat itself. Halal and kosher requirements are actually pretty reasonable as general ways to slaughter animals.