First 234

Thread: Halal Meat

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    This.

Also, as I understand it, halal rules are very similar to kosher rules, except LESS strict*. And most of society is okay with kosher meat.

*Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    Most of U.S. society (not that they think about it much, probably). In European society, it's a much smaller segment of the population that goes Kosher, so it's probably even less thought-about on their side of the ocean.

Besides, the methods of slaughter themselves are very similar, so the "reputation" or "image" of the group shouldn't make the difference in the decision.

(*You are right, as Qlip said, Kosher regulations require a one-slice-kill knife, to make it as fast as possible for the animal. Whether that's still superior to current technology is worth debating/looking into....)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

As far as I know the way a kosher slaughter is performed, for instance on a cow, is the same as halal, minus the invocation of their god.

Which I can't help but think of how they say that when they murder "infidels". It just doesn't sit right with me.
    On another note, no person wants the religion of another country pushed onto them via their weird meat practices. And funny thing is that muslims having been buying up a ton of slaughter houses in the U.S. which is just weird.
    But yes people seem to be okay with kosher meat rather than halal meat.
    One last thing, I recall there is a rule under the constitution that our society/country cannot be imposed on to follow religious rules of another countries practices, like sharia law for example. You may have heard that in the last several years in the news or on the internet.
    Would this halal meat fall under that category?
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Aside from the words, I don't think it's that different than how I'd kill something for food. I've cut the heads off of fish so I could eat them. I may someday raise chickens for meat and I'd probably hang them upside down and cut their throats/cut off their heads when butchering them. I think I would probably also pray because it does feel weird to kill things and I think some kind of blessing or word of thanks might help.

The religious aspect doesn't concern me in the least. My faith would not restrict me from eating halal or kosher meat. Christians were forbidden to eat blood in the first counsel and are allowed to eat meat sacrificed to idols as long as they don't consider the idol a real God. To me, Allah is either the same as my God or not real. TBH, it's probably more in line with my religion's teachings to eat halal/kosher than the meat I normally eat.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Halal and haram are religious distinctions in Sharia.

Islam seeks to impose Sharia on everyone, and in particular Islam seeks to impose the religious practice of halal meat on us all.

In the West we have the separation of church and State, and we don't impose a religious practice on anyone. But Islam has no separation of mosque and State and seeks to impose the religious practices of Islam on us all.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I've cut the heads off of fish so I could eat them.
    Fish heads, fish heads, roly-poly fish heads, eat them up, Yum

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce Bringsteen View Post
    One last thing, I recall there is a rule under the constitution that our society/country cannot be imposed on to follow religious rules of another countries practices, like sharia law for example. You may have heard that in the last several years in the news or on the internet.
    Would this halal meat fall under that category?
    This sounds a lot like the argument against gay marriage that "they'll force all churches to perform gay marriages".
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    This sounds a lot like the argument against gay marriage that "they'll force all churches to perform gay marriages".
    Can't say I've ever read or listened to such an argument though a lot of churches don't care whether you're gay or straight and even more so some churches will marry gay people if I am not mistaken.

Do you have a point? The two topics are quite different altogether.
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffney View Post
    Some supermarkets have resorted to selling single types of meat (Halal or Non-Halal) purely because of logistics and supply. The issue then is that Muslims will obviously not be shopping at stores that cannot meet their religious requirements and anti-Islamics, Christians and Animal Rights activists will not shop at halal stores on the basis of their beliefs, it creates market confusion.
    What would make a Christian choose not to shop at a halal store? It seems to me that such a decision by a Christian would be fueled only by concerns for animal rights or some form of anti-ism rather than Christian beliefs since nothing in Christian scripture says that "thou shalt not ingest what hath been blessed in the name of a false god."