MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3/8 so
    Socionics
    ILE

That's a lot of replies. Here goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    The idea of hallal meat, quite frankly, is stupid. I have no respect for it (like many illogical life-limiting religious traditio s). If you want to practice it, fine. Just do it on your own terms. The problem with this is it requires society to bend and conform to it in order for it to work. In many parts of the world it is something that can not, and should not happen.

If there is debate going on in regards to this I would like to hear it. Do you have any recent news links?
    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post

Interesting how this debate is going on in the UK...what is being discussed exactly?
    The debate in question is whether the slaughtering of animals in this way is ethical or acceptable by the standards of the non-Muslim citizens of this country. A lot of the time I get the sense that nationalist and anti-Islam tendencies fuel the pro-Animal rights side of the debate. The more far-right parties are trying to spin the sale of halal meat as the white Briton "losing control" of his country to the preying foreigner.
    BBC News - Halal meat labelling plan rejected by MPs
    BBC News - Halal meat consumers urged to consider animal welfare
    Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco all sell halal meat from 'live kill' animals that have not been stunned | Mail Online - This rag is probably not worth wiping your arse with.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Even Halal meet must comply to its country's animal cruelty and human slaughter laws as well as what you've spelled out. I'm curious, what would you suggest that is more humane than this?
    Personally my views are that meat is meat. There are three main options with plenty of moving space. Halal slaughter can be banned, to the detriment of Muslims. Halal slaughter can be allowed in its purest form, to the displeasure of animal rights activists. Or there can be an attempt to find some kind of middle ground that makes the meat acceptable for consumption by Muslims while not imposing itself on our animal rights ethics as set-in-stone, which in my opinion will not fully please either party. At any rate I think the halal process (If it does pose some kind of moral question to me, I'm not sure if it does) is a footnote in the issues that surround the rights of animals. Whether we should be killing them in the first place, instead of bickering over the process, is perhaps the true moral question, as others here have voiced.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Does it have to be hung upside down to be slaughtered this way? Because that's the only thing that seems exceptionally distressing. They don't have to yell those words at the animal? They can say them softly and calmly?
    I'm no expert on the issue but I believe the hanging and the shouting are part of the ritual. At any rate, is it much more distressing than the chaos and morbidity of a traditional Western slaughterhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm not in the UK, I don't know for certain, but I'm fairly confident that grocery stores will continue to have a good supply of non halal meat for those that aren't muslim. There are people who think that meat eaters are savages and they still get to eat meat. So, I don't think it's a stretch to tell people to get out of their ethnic comfort zone when it comes to things being done differently in other cultures.
    Some supermarkets have resorted to selling single types of meat (Halal or Non-Halal) purely because of logistics and supply. The issue then is that Muslims will obviously not be shopping at stores that cannot meet their religious requirements and anti-Islamics, Christians and Animal Rights activists will not shop at halal stores on the basis of their beliefs, it creates market confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    That's for draining the body of all the blood, I think. So I would think the butcher could wait until after the animal's dead to hang it upside down (just speculating there). However, the problem with that is that there are probably already established "traditional" methods that have decided what is most effective, so it might be hard to introduce change into those rules.

Anyway, theoretically, it's supposed to be designed to minimize suffering of the animal (I think), so the main question is "does it or doesn't it?" But again, the Muslim community would probably consider that an internal debate on how to proceed with their custom.
    I believe waiting until the animal is dead to conduct the hanging/bleeding is not possible, as the prayer has to be said as the animal's life is taken, to dedicate the killing to Allah, and hence make the meat halal. I.e. The blood needs to be draining in-process.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    halal meat usually tastes better so...
    Pretty much.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

@Chuffney I see. I am glad it is rejected. It should not be required for food suppliers to label meat as halal. If they wamt to do so under their own jurisdiction. I am of the opinion that as long as slaughter methods are within regulation and the law, then that is fine. I take more issue with the religious aspect of it, but that doesn't seem to be part of the debate.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Even Halal meet must comply to its country's animal cruelty and human slaughter laws as well as what you've spelled out.
    This.

Also, as I understand it, halal rules are very similar to kosher rules, except LESS strict*. And most of society is okay with kosher meat.

*Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    This.

Also, as I understand it, halal rules are very similar to kosher rules, except LESS strict*. And most of society is okay with kosher meat.

*Correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    Yeah, as far as I know Kosher requires specific type of knife/blade, long and razor sharp, Halal doesn't.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffney View Post
    Some supermarkets have resorted to selling single types of meat (Halal or Non-Halal) purely because of logistics and supply. The issue then is that Muslims will obviously not be shopping at stores that cannot meet their religious requirements and anti-Islamics, Christians and Animal Rights activists will not shop at halal stores on the basis of their beliefs, it creates market confusion.
    Where? That's kind of like me saying "I like vegetables, not meat, so I don't shop at butcher shops." It makes total sense.. and it's simple supply and demand. There aren't going to be a shit-ton of halal meat shops with muslims being the minority in that country. Many stores WILL combine the efforts to appease both crowds--some will refuse to sell it, some will sell only that. People will make the most convenient choice for them and the market will not suffer in the process. I don't see it being confusing.. I see it being convenient. Walmart doesn't cater to foodies--never has, and never will probably. Their shit isn't marketed towards them, is all, it's nothing against foodies, or walmart.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yeah, as far as I know Kosher requires specific type of knife/blade, long and razor sharp, Halal doesn't.
    Okay good to know. Thanks
    @Chuffney I see. I am glad it is rejected. It should not be required for food suppliers to label meat as halal. If they wamt to do so under their own jurisdiction. I am of the opinion that as long as slaughter methods are within regulation and the law, then that is fine. I take more issue with the religious aspect of it, but that doesn't seem to be part of the debate.
    Do you feel the same way about kosher slaughter methods?

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Do you feel the same way about kosher slaughter methods?
    Yes. Really, I just want it to be in accordence with the law, food safety, etc. and so long as the religious aspect does not get in the way of those who don't practice it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yes. Really, I just want it to be in accordence with the law, food safety, etc. and so long as the religious aspect does not get in the way of those who don't practice it.
    Ok that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

It's a cruel, inhumane way of killing animals. However, i would ban all forms of religious slaughter, not just halal meat.