User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

Thread: on guns

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    dude @Mole your country lost in a war against emu's you aren't superior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
    The problem with the Emus was they were too bloody cunning. Who would have thought this huge flightless bird could outthink Australian military armed with machine guns? But the sad fact is that they did, effortlessly, leaving us flatfooted, grasping our little tommy guns, wondering where were all the Emus, while they were fluffing up their feathers and having a giggle at our expense.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mole
    So do we have a more objective view from within the USA or from without the USA?
    That would depend entirely on the nature of one's exposure to American culture. If the bulk of your exposure to America is from TV series like Baywatch or Jersey Shore, then your perspective will be a very limited one. If it's from newspapers, that will be a skewed view as well.

I would agree that there is a fog but that fog comes from the vastness and diversity of our nation. There isn't a single America.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think both viewpoints automatically have a certain degree of blindness, and it bothers me that you typically only compare the United States to Australia, as it is your own vantage point. So using the all-encompassing "we" is a bit disingenuous... your view does not represent every location outside the USA but simply where you personally happen to be sitting. It's a nice sleight of hand so broadly delivered that it might be overlooked, but it's glaring once one considers it.

It's also a form of hubris to continue to insist that your vantage point halfway around the world is more valid than my vantage point, sitting right here and having spent 45 years growing up in this environment. You are essentially dismissing my voice in a roundabout way, which seems contradictory for a poster who claims to respect individuality as the highest good.

Why do you try to dismiss my voice, Mole? That disappoints me.
    Of course I don't respect individuality. If I respected individuality, I would use the first person singular pronoun, I, whereas as you correctly note, I use the first person plural pronoun, we.

The first person singular pronoun, I, is the keyword of the literate individual, whereas the literate individual, along with God, the manuscript, the book, silent movies, the family piano, family meals at night, and privacy, is dead.

In the place of the literate individual we have the electronic tribe. Right under your lovely nose, Malificent, Typology Central is the perfect example of the electronic tribe.

And the appropriate pronoun for our electronic tribe is the first person plural pronoun, we.

On the other hand, continuing to use the first person singular pronoun, I, in the face of reality is a sign of social pathology.

And the continuing inappropriate use of the first person singular pronoun, I, is the telltale sign of narcissism, which disrespects us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    That would depend entirely on the nature of one's exposure to American culture. If the bulk of your exposure to America is from TV series like Baywatch or Jersey Shore, then your perspective will be a very limited one. If it's from newspapers, that will be a skewed view as well.

I would agree that there is a fog but that fog comes from the vastness and diversity of our nation. There isn't a single America.
    I'll tell you what mate, no matter whether you are rich or poor, black or white, ethnic or native, male or female, democrat or republican, from the north or south, east or west, or from the great American heartland, religious or atheist, law abiding or criminal, educated or uneducated, young or old or merely middle-aged, superstitious or rational, I recognise each and every one of you as American.

So naturally close up there is no single America, but from a distance, America is singular and Americans all are singular.

Close up America consists of pixels, but at the right distance, these pixels form a picture of America for all to see.

Default The Fault Lies in the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I don't care what the so-called "we" thinks or the ABC, Victor.
    Of course not, Jaguar, you are a highly literate individual, trapped in a dead and dying culture, that has thought of itself for 200 years as, I.

If I may say so, you are an elegant and tragic example of a dead and dying culture. Your tragedy is like an Ancient Greek tragedy, like that of Oedipus, or Narcissus, neither of whom knew what they were doing, and whose tragedy was inevitable. The fault lay not in Oedipus, or Narcissus, or even Jaguar, but in our stars.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mole
    Close up America consists of pixels, but at the right distance, these pixels form a picture of America for all to see.
    I respectfully disagree but I appreciate the clever analogy. I would argue that there is no distance at which America makes total sense. We're pixels up close, but we're just blobs of color from afar. You lose detail and nuance at every distance.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Of course I don't respect individuality. If I respected individuality, I would use the first person singular pronoun, I, whereas as you correctly note, I use the first person plural pronoun, we.

The first person singular pronoun, I, is the keyword of the literate individual, whereas the literate individual, along with God, the manuscript, the book, silent movies, the family piano, family meals at night, and privacy, is dead.

In the place of the literate individual we have the electronic tribe. Right under your lovely nose, Malificent, Typology Central is the perfect example of the electronic tribe.

And the appropriate pronoun for our electronic tribe is the first person plural pronoun, we.

On the other hand, continuing to use the first person singular pronoun, I, in the face of reality is a sign of social pathology.

And the continuing inappropriate use of the first person singular pronoun, I, is the telltale sign of narcissism, which disrespects us all.
    Interestingly your post did not actually address my post: You merely made a semantic fantasy of the word "we" while tacitly claiming that you had the power to speak for the collective. And that is what you've been continuing to do, acting as spokesperson for a collective attitude that you only imagine exists... a psychological behavior which of course might be labeled in many disturbing ways as well if I wanted to toss this back to you.

But I don't.

Enjoy your thread, Mole.
    Maybe one day there will be an Avalon for us... but not today.
    Not today.
    Adios!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    For the record I've yet to encounter an Australian who laughed about these killings.
    Of course Australians don't laugh at the continuing gun massacres in the USA, but we do laugh at the rationalisations about guns.

It is the rationalisations that are unbelievable. Everyone, except Americans, knows it is guns that are the problem.

And when I hear announcers on our National Broadcaster, the ABC, tittering at American rationalisations, I can see Americans are entering dangerous political territory internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Interestingly your post did not actually address my post: You merely made a semantic fantasy of the word "we" while tacitly claiming that you had the power to speak for the collective. And that is what you've been continuing to do, acting as spokesperson for a collective attitude that you only imagine exists... a psychological behavior which of course might be labeled in many disturbing ways as well if I wanted to toss this back to you.

But I don't.

Enjoy your thread, Mole.
    Maybe one day there will be an Avalon for us... but not today.
    Not today.
    Adios!
    Oh Malificent, abandon your, I, and join us, warm and cosy, the world make rosy, by togetherness. All you need to do is to change your mind. No need to change your religion, no need to change your country, all you need to do is to change your mind. When reality changes, I change my mind, what do you do?

Perhaps the patron saint of the internet, Marshall McLuhan, may give you a change of heart and mind. You may read Saint Marshall on - http://beforebefore.net/80f/s11/media/mcluhan.pdf

And remember, the medium is the message.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So naturally close up there is no single America, but from a distance, America is singular and Americans all are singular.

Not surprisingly, Australia looks the same from the distance of America. Your observation is true to the point of tautology.

Also, for the record, not everyone on the forum here is an American, even those folks who happen to reside in the U.S. right now. And some of us who are have had the benefit of gaining very different perspectives on the U.S. by living for a time overseas.

It all comes down to your frame(s) of reference.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...