Thread: on guns

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Look Malificent, let me whisper in your ear, you have given me a Warning which I take seriously, and now I am passing on a warning from Oz. Deprecatory laughter in Oz is not only humourous but also a serious warning.

And it is a warning you ignore at your peril. You have lost three wars in a row, Vietnam, Iraq and Afganisgtan, and so we are reluctant to join you in a fourth war with China. This will have enormous repercussions. Frankly it is in your interests to listen to an ally.
    Oh, I'm listening, my dear little beastie, but then again I never really supported our actions in Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan... and my daughter's from China.... so maybe I'm not the one you'd like to be talking to.

The citizenry of the United States is hugely diverse in values and politics, something that must be understood. Making broad generalizations about the religious or political values of my culture ensures that you've already at least half wrong.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

For the record I've yet to encounter an Australian who laughed about these killings. Although to be fair Nijntje and I laughed at many of the grandiose posturings contained in the killer's whinefesto. That wasn't laughing at America though, that was laughing at a wanker. Sorry, at a magnificent gentleman.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

lol there's not going to be a direct war between American and China. MAD.

What you would be more likely to see is proxy conflicts with each superpower attacking vassal states of the other, that's if there was a physical war as we have known it. There is a huge potential for cyber warfare these days, the extent of which could not have been envisioned by previous generations. The reality is that America is a dying country, but the political elite there refuse to accept the underlying causes of the country's weakness.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I am certainly not here to win a popularity contest.

From the moment I arrived my very style of writing was attacked, the very feelings of Australians are regularly insulted by Americans as though this is the most natural thing in the world.

I have just received not one but two Warnings. Plainly they want to shut me up or get rid of me.

Fortunately integrity is more important to me than belonging.
    The idea that someone should be expected to "fit in" is kind of offensive to me. Diversity of perspective is highly valued on this forum.

With respect to your comments on warnings, since you have brought it up, for the record, nobody is trying to shut you up or get rid of you. If you adhere to the site rules in the FAQ you should be fine.

Warnings are issued when we are trying to send a message, that someone has broken the site rules. They are nudges to help people realize they need to change certain behaviors.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

dude @Mole your country lost in a war against emu's you aren't superior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Fortunately integrity is more important to me than belonging.
    *tear*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

From a member's perspective, I like @Mole and I don't want him to try to fit in. I like his perspective and I like that he challenges us to think differently about things. I don't laugh at Mole. Sometimes I laugh with Mole.

From an admin's perspective, I can vouch that we are certainly not intending to shut Mole up or get rid of Mole- we would not want either of those things to happen. I believe the recent warnings (which we are only discussing since Mole brought them up, we don't usually make them public to protect member privacy) were given in hopes that we could better organize Mole's ideas in threads where they are on-topic and will lead to civil topical discussion. As a Myers-Briggs P sometimes I do find the "on-topic" thing a bit of a drag, since I like when topics evolve and flow, but as a forum manager I (sometimes begrudgingly) find that it's necessary to keep things from getting too chaotic or letting all roads lead to a single topic.

Many thanks to Mole for taking the warnings seriously. Starting a thread to discuss the topic was the exact right thing to do, IMO. And consider my use of the third person to be an homage to Mole's own frequent use of the third person to discuss himself.

I don't care what the so-called "we" thinks or the ABC, Victor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, I'm listening, my dear little beastie, but then again I never really supported our actions in Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan... and my daughter's from China.... so maybe I'm not the one you'd like to be talking to.

The citizenry of the United States is hugely diverse in values and politics, something that must be understood. Making broad generalizations about the religious or political values of my culture ensures that you've already at least half wrong.
    Within the USA the diversity opinion is plain, but from outside the USA, we see the USA as a whole.

So do we have a more objective view from within the USA or from without the USA?

From without the USA we can compare, we can compare histories, we can compare values, and by comparison come to a more objective view of the USA.

Within the USA there is an enormous fog of differing opinion that makes it impossible to see the USA clearly.

But from without, the fog falls away revealing the outlines of America.

America emerges from the fog only in the eye of the outsider.

This is difficult or impossible for Americans to accept, it is experienced as a blow to the very concept of America.

So Americans are doomed to blunder around the world like a blind giant.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Within the USA the diversity opinion is plain, but from outside the USA, we see the USA as a whole.

So do we have a more objective view from within the USA or from without the USA?

From without the USA we can compare, we can compare histories, we can compare values, and by comparison come to a more objective view of the USA.

Within the USA there is an enormous fog of differing opinion that makes it impossible to see the USA clearly.

But from without, the fog falls away revealing the outlines of America.

America emerges from the fog only in the eye of the outsider.

This is difficult or impossible for Americans to accept, it is experienced as a blow to the very concept of America.

So Americans are doomed to blunder around the world like a blind giant.
    I think both viewpoints automatically have a certain degree of blindness, and it bothers me that you typically only compare the United States to Australia, as it is your own vantage point. So using the all-encompassing "we" is a bit disingenuous... your view does not represent every location outside the USA but simply where you personally happen to be sitting. It's a nice sleight of hand so broadly delivered that it might be overlooked, but it's glaring once one considers it.

It's also a form of hubris to continue to insist that your vantage point halfway around the world is more valid than my vantage point, sitting right here and having spent 45 years growing up in this environment. You are essentially dismissing my voice in a roundabout way, which seems contradictory for a poster who claims to respect individuality as the highest good.

Why do you try to dismiss my voice, Mole? That disappoints me. That is not the Mole I know.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft