User Tag List

First 12

Comparing average man vs average woman salary is not quite analogous.

In USA men and women do not necessarily have the same experience (women often take time off to care for kids) and often do not get the same types of degrees or specialize in the same types of fields. Women often work lower-paying careers. And there are other variables that make it somewhat misleading to just plop the two averages next to each other.

So if you compare a male software engineer with a female software engineer (or male nurse with female nurse), with the same job title and number of years experience, I think the discrepancy goes down somewhat, although it is still present. I have also read that a part of this difference is that women are less likely to ask for a higher salary than men. So I think that would narrow the gap as well. But would the two hypothetical salaries be equal at that point? That would be an interesting question.

Anyway this is an issue overall, and I'm sure at the White House as well. It does seem encouraging that gap is narrower at the White House than nation-wide, whatever that implies.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Comparing average man vs average woman salary is not quite analogous.

In USA men and women do not necessarily have the same experience (women often take time off to care for kids) and often do not get the same types of degrees or specialize in the same types of fields. Women often work lower-paying careers. And there are other variables that make it somewhat misleading to just plop the two averages next to each other.

So if you compare a male software engineer with a female software engineer (or male nurse with female nurse), with the same job title and number of years experience, I think the discrepancy goes down somewhat, although it is still present. I have also read that a part of this difference is that women are less likely to ask for a higher salary than men. So I think that would narrow the gap as well. But would the two hypothetical salaries be equal at that point? That would be an interesting question.

Anyway this is an issue overall, and I'm sure at the White House as well. It does seem encouraging that gap is narrower at the White House than nation-wide, whatever that implies.
    All things being equal (pun not intended), the wage gap stands at around 5%. But why limit this to men compared to women? Why not "nerds" versus "jocks"? Or people equal to and over 6 ft tall versus people less than 6 ft tall? Or people with BMI's greater than or equal to 30 with those less than 30? I'm darn certain there is some discrimination going on there. Why not work to eliminate ALL wage discrimination?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Went to the source data from the white house and did my own calcs. Gender unknown was because the names were either unisex or that I lacked the cultural knowledge to differentiate. Members can judge for themselves.

Below six figure salaries
    Gender Unknown: 9.71%
    Males: 45.31%
    Females: 44.98%

Six figure and above salaries
    Gender Unknown: 7.95%
    Females: 39.74%
    Males: 52.32%

Totals
    Gender Unknown: 9.13%
    Females: 43.48%
    Males: 47.39%

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

^Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do the calculations @andante

Lots of good points brought up in previous posts regarding data and possible variables so I have nothing to add
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell