User Tag List

123 Last

Default Global Warming, Man made or Naturally caused (And other earth questions)

I didn't know where to put this thread but it seems like it will fit here.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Didums; 07-26-2008 at 07:21 PM.

What is your objection exactly?

1. That the climate is changing at all.
    2. The climate is changing but it's natural.
    3. Human activity is changing the climate but it's not a bad thing.
    4. None of the above?

Global warming is essentially the idea that Human interaction with the environment through use of oil, etc, is raising the temperature of the planet via extra Co2 trapping heat in the atmosphere. I don't see enough real evidence for that.

Soo, I'd agree with "2. The climate is changing but it's natural."

Anyways I gotta get some sleep, I'll see what happens in the thread tomorrow I guess.

MBTI
    INTJ

You're saying that the mass of release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is natural? It's not.

Political sensationalizing or not, it's a real phenomenon.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    I didn't know where to put this thread but it seems like it will fit here.

But yea, the title ^ is a true story. This isn't a troll post, I'd just like to hear some arguments For and Against Global Warming because right now I really think that it is BS.

Discuss.
    I wanted to create thread that explains the entire global warming thing in the next few days but you were faster than me.
    When I roam through this forum, global warming is pretty much omnipresent so I think that this forum needs one post/thread that would clear things up from all the BS that were said on TV.
    I wrote one big text (20 pages) about that few months ago and I need time to shorten, update and repair that text.
    Give me few days.

One question for others.

If you think that global warming is not a big deal, why do you think this way?

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FallsPioneer View Post
    You're saying that the mass of release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is natural? It's not.

Yeah, but it's a tiny bit in comparison to everything else putting it out. Without it, we all starve, freeze, and life dies out.

We're putting carbon back into the system that has been locked away outside of the system for a while. Whether or not this is bad is debatable. It would have eventually returned to the system, just through some other method (ex: volcanoes or asteroids).

It could end up making the entire earth more habitable or knocking us into an ice age. Does it matter? The fact is that we just don't know and are clearly too stupid to figure out what it's doing or the ultimate effects (look at the global cooling scare of the 70s...which is it, now?).
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by FallsPioneer View Post

You mean the 3% of all Co2 emissions that we make? The rest of the 97% comes from decaying plants, volcanic eruptions, and wildfires. We're not really doing that much to the atmosphere, we've been suckered into believing that we are guilty for climate change which is just a natural part of what happens on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I wanted to create thread that explains the entire global warming thing in the next few days but you were faster than me.
    When I roam through this forum, global warming is pretty much omnipresent so I think that this forum needs one post/thread that would clear things up from all the BS that were said on TV.
    I wrote one big text (20 pages) about that few months ago and I need time to shorten, update and repair that text.
    Give me few days.

One question for others.

I'm looking forward to your post/thread, 20 pages is a bit much but I'd read it.

As for:
    ***In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.

"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said."

Abdussamatov believes that changes in the sun's heat output can account for almost all the climate changes we see on both planets.

Mars and Earth, for instance, have experienced periodic ice ages throughout their histories.

"Man-made greenhouse warming has made a small contribution to the warming seen on Earth in recent years, but it cannot compete with the increase in solar irradiance," Abdussamatov said.

By studying fluctuations in the warmth of the sun, Abdussamatov believes he can see a pattern that fits with the ups and downs in climate we see on Earth and Mars. ***

Source There is a second page but I think the picture has been made.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

So if it is in fact caused by solar irradiance rather than our Co2 emissions that doesn't really matter much, for global warming is in effect and we are still screwed, right?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    So if it is in fact caused by solar irradiance rather than our Co2 emissions that doesn't really matter much, for global warming is in effect and we are still screwed, right?
    From what I understand, solar irradiance fluctuates, hence periodic Ice Ages, etc. What we really need to be worried about right now is whether the Poles are going to change and how to prepare for it, I'm not sure if it will be devastating to us or just a minor inconvenience. I read somewhere that the poles are supposed to change within the next 100 to 1000 years so preparing now wouldn't be a bad idea.