User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    If Hillary runs I will shoot myself
    Maybe you can shoot yourself in the hair. That's the best place to shoot yourself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    If Hillary runs I will shoot myself
    I just think it's sad that you're going to shoot yourself. But it's also sad to imagine Hillary being president. I hope some good will come out of it, like it'll be a political statement that will lead to her not being president, especially if all you have to do is shoot yourself in the hair. Then you could live to see her not becoming president. I'd say it'd be a reason to celebrate, but who knows what other crap politician we'll wind up with instead.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    This administration enjoys an advantage afforded no other: a partisan media that has its back, minute-by-minute
    You mean compared to Bush and Fox News?
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

WALMART

article reads as

democracy is democratizing

go figure

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    You mean compared to Bush and Fox News?
    Yes. Fox comprises what portion of the media compared to the rest of it. If you include other new media source, internet print etc... the percentages remain steady. Conservative media comprised maybe 30% of the market.

The effect is different when you have 70% of the market place dominated (to greater and lesser degrees) by a single viewpoint. This goes a long way towards explaining why some in the conservative media are so strident.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes. Fox comprises what portion of the media compared to the rest of it. If you include other new media source, internet print etc... the percentages remain steady. Conservative media comprised maybe 30% of the market.

The effect is different when you have 70% of the market place dominated (to greater and lesser degrees) by a single viewpoint. This goes a long way towards explaining why some in the conservative media are so strident.
    Those are some fancy numbers you have there. Lots of hat and no cattle.

Aka: if you're gonna base your entire argument on those kinds of numbers, I want reliable sources backing those numbers up, because I don't entirely believe them.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Aka: if you're gonna base your entire argument on those kinds of numbers, I want reliable sources backing those numbers up, because I don't entirely believe them.
    I would also like to see those numbers backed up by sources...I have my doubts as well.

There are sources that have a liberal bias and there are sources that have a conservative bias; that is why one has to be diligent in seeking out all different types of sources, including international sources.

@café made some excellent points about corporate sponsorship and ownership of major media sources in the U.S. and should make us fight all the harder for net neutrality.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yawn, I don't need a study to tell you the sky is blue.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

But why the hell not.

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

Most journalists are angry white men, poll finds

An Excerpt...

A poll released last week reported that 7 percent of American journalists say they are Republicans. The survey also found that the news force is aging, having a median age of 47; 62 percent are male. A mere 8.5 percent of full-timers are minorities. Fewer than 1 in 4 is "very satisfied" with his job. In short, the profession that dubbed the Republican Party a refuge for "angry white men" is teeming with angry white men.

The irony here is wasted on the ink-stained-wretch community.

The University of Indiana has conducted this survey of more than 1,000 journalists every decade since 1971, so it measures changes in the industry. The 2002 survey reported that 18 percent of journalists identified as Republicans. At 7.1 percent last year, America's newsrooms housed a lower percentage of Republicans than San Francisco (8.4 percent).

No wonder conservatives don't trust the media.

Professors Lars Willnat and David Weaver also recorded the lowest showing of journalists who called themselves Democrats since 1971, when it was 35.5 percent. Now 28 percent say they are Democrats, half say they are independent, and 15 percent say they are "other."

Bernie Goldberg, a former CBS reporter with Fox News, thinks that many of the self-identified "independent" journalists are liars who "know better than to tell the truth and tell the pollsters who they really are." I suspect that Goldberg is onto something. While surveys have found more ideological diversity in newsrooms outside the beltway, a 1996 Freedom Forum poll of Washington correspondents found that 89 percent said they voted for Bill Clinton in 1992.

I've known colleagues to be rather defensive on the issue of liberal bias. It couldn't be that, like Ivy League faculties, liberal editors tend to hire people who dress, think and vote as they do. No, there must be a more noble reason that liberal journalism self-replicates.

I've heard it before: Journalists are smarter than other people, so of course they're liberal. (That's right, we're so clever, we work in a shrinking industry.) Or: Liberals are drawn to journalism because they question authority.

Problem: When group-think prevails, the hive swarms best when presented with the scent of weakness in an outside authority. When a story makes Republicans look stupid, it inevitably becomes a big story. Think Todd Akin's dim-witted "legitimate rape" remark in 2012. It was big news in California.

In modern journalism, diversity is supposed to be as holy as accuracy. Editors flock to workshops that help them hire ethnic minorities, members of the LGBT community and other groups deemed to be disadvantaged. Makes sense. Newsroom staff should look not like the faculty lounge, but like America.

But when it comes to politics, it's a different world. Sure, on occasion I've seen organizations troll for a conservative for balance - for a particular page, or function, but there is no industry effort to rebalance the newsroom to make it think more like America.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9