User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Completely agree.

It's pathetic, and part of the reason I've stepped outside the news cycle a bit.

It just seems to me there's nothing going on.

And it's cuz there's absolutely no hard-hitting, critical journalism, questioning anything.

It seems like most of the mainstream press is just willing to believe whatever Obama tells them to.
    Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Tell the young contestant what he's won. Only increased cynicism.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    My opinion is that every administration in recent times has done this. If it's worse with Obama than any prior president, it will only get worse with the next president, regardless of their party.
    I disagree.

The press fawns over Obama.

If Christie, or Rand Paul, or Jeb were to win, they'd be all over them (least so, probably, for Jeb [he's just so damn good and likeable]).

(And, despite that, I assure you, they'd be writhing and starving to jump on Jeb at any chance they could possibly get)

Just look at what they've done to Christie: that shit has been covered 10x as much as what happened in Benghazi.

And the whole purpose of it is to try and derail his Presidential campaign, cuz he's seen as a legitimate threat.

If it were Hillary who'd experienced the same thing, coverage would've been 10% what it has been.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I disagree.

If Christie, or Rand Paul, or Jeb were to win, they'd be all over them (least so, probably for Jeb [just cuz he's so damn good and likeable]).

Just look at what they've done to Christie: that shit has been covered 10x as much as what happened in Benghazi.

And the whole purpose of it is to try and derail his Presidential campaign, cuz he's seen as a legitimate threat.

If it were Hillary who'd experienced the same thing, coverage would've been 10% what it has been.
    Back to back wins in one day people, this guys on fire.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Tell the young contestant what he's won. Only increased cynicism.
    I try to reframe that, tho.

I mean, yes, it's true that the press fawns over Obama, and would basically let him get away with anything.

Let's try to see some alternate sides to this feeling, tho:

- we're five years into a Democrat administration. You're probably pretty liable to feel pissed off, cynical, and a bit demoralized, aren't you? Remember how the lefties were during Bush's second term? There's a certain resignation that takes place when the opposition realizes, not only have they been out of power (the Executive) for four years, but they will be so again for another four.

- a lot of the blame for this belongs to Bush. I fucking hated that ass clown, and he did such a horrible job, that not only did he turn much of the country against Republicans, he managed to make the American People want to pull back from the world stage (we last weeks Economist cover, Russias actions in Ukraine, Syria's slaughtering of its own people, and rising tensions between China and Japan over the Senkaku, st al), which is what really has me frightened (Obama seems dead set on dismantling American power abroad, seeing American military power as a negative force in the world, and, frankly, this is an ass backwards view, and the truth is, the vacuum of power it will create will only make the world a more dangerous place). So, yeah, blame yourself, blame Republicans, blame the Republican base, blame Bush, for nominating and electing an ass clown who never should've been President in the first place, and who did major damage by doing so. How were the Dems not gunna get eight years, merely from the pendulum swinging back, the yin being brought to the yang, the force being brought back to balance, from the Bush years.

- a lot of the blame, and I already mentioned this before, but it deserves its own point, is due to the Republican base. They are so out of touch, and the demographics are so dead set against them, that, if they don't evolve, there's just gunna be more of this in the future (hello, Hillary, and four more years). They are seen as racist, old, white people, and until the people who can reasonably be perceived as such either die out or evolve, this perception is going to doom them when it comes to Presidential elections. They have had reasonable moderate candidates each of the last two cycles, who they forced to pander to the right, in order to win the Republican nomination, but, by doing so, alienated themselves from potential swing voters, and, because of it, lost the election. Whether or not Republicans want to admit it, they represent the past, while the Democrats represent the future, and no matter how hard they try, there is no preventing the future. The only option is to adapt, or die. And until the Republican base evolves, at least when it comes to the Presidency, the party is doomed.

As such, in light of the above, I have decided to just chill and mellow out for the time being. In fact, I even spend some time trying to give the Democrats their shot. Hey, maybe Obamacare won't be so bad (after all, it did come from a conservative think tank). And, if it's not, then was it really worth fighting against so hard? For what? "To win"? Who cares. It's not supposed to be about winning. It's supposed to be about what's good for the country.

The Democrats have their shot, and the American People already threw them out of total power (the Executive and Legislative) after just two years. The Republicans have been able to block much of what they've wanted to do for the last three years, and it looks like they might actually take more power in Congress this next cycle. This is democracy in action. It's a good thing. People try to talk like democracy is failing us, and I'm like, "What the fuck are you talking about? This is exactly what it's designed to do."

So sit back, enjoy the ride, have a little faith, and handle your own personal business, rather than getting too worked up about what's going on politically. I know it's not easy, and I'm not saying be complacent, or stop caring about what's happening to your country. Just have a little faith that this is all part of the plan, and that, if the pendulum becomes in need swinging back in one direction, it's the way of the universe that it will swing back in that direction.

And, in the meantime, perhaps figure out what direction that pendulum needs to swing, and become that.

And don't fool yourself that it simply needs to swing back to what it was before.

Change is the only true constant, and that's not how evolution works.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Did you read the article, and how it mentions that Obama's 08 campaign mirrored the rise of the liberal bloggership? And how its not just bloggers but big publications as well?

Obama has had a uniquely generous press corps to deal with despite how cold he has been to the press generally. No president has ever received such unabashedly positive coverage from the press.
    Bush, circa late 2001-2003

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Completely agree.

It's pathetic, and part of the reason I've stepped outside the news cycle a bit.

It just seems to me there's nothing going on.

And it's cuz there's absolutely no hard-hitting, critical journalism, questioning anything.

It seems like most of the mainstream press is just willing to believe whatever Obama tells them to.
    I have to disagree. I have no problem finding articles which either

A) Question Obama's policies

B) outright call him out on errors in judgement or potential scandals.

I see just as many blogs devoted to his opposition, not sure what the fuss is over.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I disagree.

If Christie, or Rand Paul, or Jeb were to win, they'd be all over them (least so, probably, for Jeb [he's just so damn good and likeable]).

(And, despite that, I assure you, they'd be writhing and starving to jump on Jeb at any chance they could possibly get)

I don't know, seems like the only thing anyone talked about for several months was Benghazi. This is true about both conservative and allegedly liberal outlets. I'm not saying Benghazi shouldn't have been a major focus.

I think perception is really the issue here. One could also make a good argument that the news media (overall) is largely conservative in their bias. Not saying I believe this.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I don't know, seems like the only thing anyone talked about for several months was Benghazi. This is true about both conservative and allegedly liberal outlets. I'm not saying Benghazi shouldn't have been a major focus.

I think perception is really the issue here. One could also make a good argument that the news media (overall) is largely conservative in their bias. Not saying I believe this.
    Umm... how about ObamaCare, Malaysian Flight 370, and the Bundy Ranch? I put Chris Christie and Benghazi on there, too, for comparison.

(Granted, that's just GoogleTrends for news searches, not a direct indication of media time, but perhaps an indication of what gets enough traction to trigger google searches.)

Unfortunately, the data set isn't big enough to get a very detailed per-state breakdown, although one can see that New Jersey searched for Chris Christie a ton and appears to dominate the Chris Christie spike. It would be interesting to see the Christie line minus New Jersey, just to see how big an impact the the various stories about Christie have made nationally.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

There's always going to be some push and pull between conservative and liberal voices in the media. There will be backlash and frontlash both ways. The "blogosphere" is a relatively new thing. Yes, Obama was smart to foresee its importance in politics back in '08, while McCain never really "got it" (it became something his own campaign joked about; McCain tried to turn it into a positive asset in a slightly self-deprecating way). It could be argued that "young" people who are technologically savvy are more likely to lean left (I have no solid data to back this up), hence a seemingly greater number of pro-Obama voices in the blogging world, but I think Conservative bloggers will become just as frequent, if not more so (again, backlash) in coming years.

More of a sidenote: Let's not forget that Drudge was one of the first non-mainstream source of news on the web, and he leans right.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I have to disagree. I have no problem finding articles which either

A) Question Obama's policies

B) outright call him out on errors in judgement or potential scandals.

I see just as many blogs devoted to his opposition, not sure what the fuss is over.
    I was talking about the mainstream media.

Almost the only opposition in the mainstream media comes from the WSJ or Fox News.

Yes, the occasional article or piece might come up elsewhere, but the overall coverage is unabashedly pro-Obama.

What Seymour said

Yes, one could always make a stupid argument.