User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you support the housing bailout legislation?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 25.00%
  • No

    15 62.50%
  • Other (explain)

    3 12.50%
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Housing bailout

  1. #21
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Probably wildly off topic and not to the point, but I wonder if we were talking about say doctors giving expert medical opinion if they would be allowed off the hook so easily for not making sure those who know less about medical matters were made aware their rights and responsiblities. Would we call their patients stupid?

  2. #22
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Figures out how to take advantage of someone? Are you sure you're talking about the same thing?
    Erm. . . yes, I believe so. I read the title of this thread, and read Wolf's post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Taking advantage of someone through lies and deceit is fraud, and that's already illegal.
    Yes, I know. However, there is an issue of proof and resources. Likewise, laws have to be in place to specifically deal with the issues we are discussing - which I believe they will be soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If you're an honest lender and a borrower doesn't perform their due diligence before signing a loan worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, that's no one's fault but the borrowers. If you want to force lenders into more obligations regarding that issue, then loans are going to be more expensive. The people who lose out the most are the people who could barely afford loans in the first place. Regulations have financial consequences.
    You have a lot of "if's" in your statement.

    But I do know, and I believe you realize this as well, there are numerous folks out there who thought or tried to do their "due diligence," but we're given loans that the relator's and loan officers knew would be difficult to pay when the adjustable rates adjusted two to three years out. Therefore, what do you do with those folks?

    My reason for getting into this thread is because you and Wolf would like to proclaim them "stupid." However, being conned, defrauded, tricked, out-knowledge, whatever you would like to call it, is a producer of victims, rather than simply a justifiable method of ridding our society of "stupid" people.

    Enjoy your debate.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  3. #23
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    They're not ridding society of them. Very many took a stupid risk (or worse, a stupid loan) and now they're being held to the terms they agreed to.

    The fact that an ARM changes interest rates should be obvious to anyone. The fact that an interest-only loan or negative-amortization loan is a bad idea should be obvious to anyone that can handle making a payment on anything. It was clearly a house of cards to anyone looking at it reasonably...only nobody was and nobody cared. It was another bubble like the dot-com bubble, only that time they didn't talk about bailing out stupid investors or propping up the businesses that were laying off their entire workforces.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    ]You have a lot of "if's" in your statement.
    Two is a lot? If you say so.

    But I do know, and I believe you realize this as well, there are numerous folks out there who thought or tried to do their "due diligence," but we're given loans that the relator's and loan officers knew would be difficult to pay when the adjustable rates adjusted two to three years out. Therefore, what do you do with those folks?
    This is where we'll get into a philosophical debate. First of all, most of the people defaulting on their mortgages do not fit the category you describe. Most defaulters are speculators and people who had poor credit before the real estate bubble burst. Very few (relatively speaking) fit into the category to describe.

    I don't believe we need laws regarding every contingency of every situation a person can find themselves in. Meaning, life isn't fair. If you got burned, but weren't defrauded, use this as a learning opportunity. Don't look to the government to fix your mistake. Worst case, you become a renter (again) instead of an owner. There is an oversupply of housing. There is no rational reason for anyone to be homeless because of this.

    My reason for getting into this thread is because you and Wolf would like to proclaim them "stupid." However, being conned, defrauded, tricked, out-knowledge, whatever you would like to call it, is a producer of victims, rather than simply a justifiable method of ridding our society of "stupid" people.
    Do you know why I call them stupid? Because they were exactly that, stupid. I lived in south Florida and worked in the real estate industry (as a commercial appraiser) during the real estate boom. I saw lots of this first hand. I met dozens of people who would tell me about the 100% LTV, reverse amortization loans they just signed on a house that was still under construction that they were going to flip in six months. MANY of them got caught with their pants down, because they were stupid. The smart ones got out before the bubble burst.

    I also lived in a former apartment complex that had recently undergone conversion to condos. I met a lot of the owners (my roommate was the VP of the condo association) and we often talked about their mortgages. Not one of them was in danger of losing their homes to foreclosure. Well, I need to clarify. There were a couple speculators who got burned in the complex, big time. The unit right below me was vacant for almost a year before the investor/speculator finally found a renter...for half of his monthly expenses.

    My point? The media is distorting this issue. They love to focus on the extremely rare, hard luck cases, making people believe that those are the norm when they are anything but.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #25
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    The Senate just passed the bill (the House passed the bill on Thursday). Bush is going to sign it since any veto would be overridden, anyway.

    This will cost taxpayers over $300 billion. That's more than $2,000 per taxpayer.

    This has me so fucking angry. This is so unfair. I get penalized for making sound financial decisions. I want to punch every Congressman who voted for this thing in the face.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #26
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    i'm supportive primarily because i'm a big old pinko.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  7. #27
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    i'm supportive primarily because i'm a big old pinko.
    Pinkos like corporate welfare?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #28
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    So there are no victims in this situation?
    Victims of what, exactly? Housing markets aren't guaranteed to make everyone money. That's not how the system is supposed to work.

    And by the way, the "market" is not some disconnected entity. It is, however, people buying, selling, and trying to survive.
    It's not the government's job to make certain that no one fails when they go into business, or that everyone can afford an expensive house.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #29
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Pinkos like corporate welfare?
    lol, you're going to win this one. i honestly just wanted to vote against all the libertarians. i'm actually not 100% for this thing and need to gather more information before making a serious judgment.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #30
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The Senate just passed the bill (the House passed the bill on Thursday). Bush is going to sign it since any veto would be overridden, anyway.

    This will cost taxpayers over $300 billion. That's more than $2,000 per taxpayer.

    This has me so fucking angry. This is so unfair. I get penalized for making sound financial decisions. I want to punch every Congressman who voted for this thing in the face.
    Looks like we're headed for a Japanese-style real estate market for the next two or three decades, where the prices remain flat or fall for extended periods, but very, very slowly. I was hoping for a quick correction, but I guess they screwed that up and charged me for it to boot.

    I'm pissed, too.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Similar Threads

  1. What type is House?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1046
    Last Post: 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  2. Hogwarts Houses...
    By arcticangel02 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 11:22 PM
  3. House Bailout Vote Fails!
    By Oberon in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 05:16 AM
  4. Housing market cartoons
    By darlets in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 11:05 PM
  5. Do you feel embarrassed by your friends house
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO