User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Ginkgo

For fuck's sake, @DiscoBiscuit, in a lot of ways, fiscal conservatism's last leg to stand on in the eyes of a critic seems to be the promotion of privately owned charity services. And here you are, a representative of conservatism on this forum, kicking it down, while simultaneously exposing what liberals claim to be the ugly underbelly of capitalism.

You know I like you, but could you at least keep that shit under wraps for the sake of those who share common ground with you? Or am I barking up the wrong tree by assuming you have a collectivist bone in your body?

ReflecTcelfeR

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    That's racist and you're a misogynist too.
    I'll assume you're trolling, lol.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    No, one doesn't. We're all on this planet together. And however much other people may frustrate you, they have a pulse, they suffer, they are in pain and they are frustrated - much like yourself. That means you too deserve empathy from the people who call you those things and who are failing due to having to deal with their own pain. And the only way to stop it is by actually getting passed all that 'me,me, me!!!' talk and past the frustration so that we stop wasting our energy on that and focus on actually removing some of that pain.

I get it though. It cannot be easy to non-stop be told you're the reason that *they* are suffering. Coz i doubt many of them can separate their frustrations enough not to lash out at someone like you. And it does get infuriating and annoying and eventually you do push back. It is only natural. But it doesn't solve anything. In fact, it just leads to more energy down the drain. That's where empathy comes in - where you realise that it aint about you, it's about them dealing with the lot that was dealt to them.

And Disco - their lot was objectively speaking a lot harder to deal with than yours. This aint your fault, but surely you can find it within to flex just a little until the tipping scales have been evened so they can regain some strength for the next battle. No one is saying you need to validate their need to blame - but just showing some measure of acknowledgement that their life compared to yours might not be fair will go a long way.

That's all this is about.

Similarly, you *should* be able to vent about this crap coz even a musquito bite a day gets bloody annoying to the point where you need to be able to bitch about it, and that in and of itself should definitely be acknowledged as well. They're not the only ones in pain, or frustrated with reality. And as good as you may have it compared to them, it doesn't mean that your struggles or accomplishments are worth any less time - and I know some people have told you differently. They are wrong.

In the end though, you're bitching about the same thing - dealing with life. Use that common ground to come together and deal with the actual thing that is causing it instead of futily wasting your energy on inflicting more pain on each other that will just ricochet right back to you. There's enough of that to go around.

Now, does this mean you have to focus all your energy to solving other peoples problems, or listening to them even? No - that aint your gift in this world. And there is no reason to actually become that person. You have enough potential in other areas that you can help them indirectly by just being yourself. But a simple acknowledgement when these things happen will help soothe their frustration *AND* yours and create a bridge of understanding when it happens. That's all. Consider it a tool in your toolkit that you occasionally dust off, if you will.
    I empathize with you @Amargith. But then that's because you showed the slightest scintilla of interest in actually getting to know me, and empathize with me.

You've gotta give to get. To those who aren't generous, I return the favor.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I empathize with you @Amargith. But then that's because you showed the slightest scintilla of interest in actually getting to know me, and empathize with me.

You've gotta give to get. To those who aren't generous, I return the favor.
    Someone has to make that first step though, dear. I'm not saying you have to go NF on me and embrace each person you meet. But surely, you can see how perpetuating each others pain when a small modicum of empathy might do the opposite isn't exactly productive to building that better world I know you dream of.

I'm not asking you to put up with their bullshit - I'm asking you to see the reason why they're hurting and in turn lashing out at you. And to see if you cannot soothe both your pain by simply acknowledging theirs ( and not the blame!). Help them deal with it, as such. And hopefully, someday, they'll be able to see beyond their own pain long enough to do the same for you. They crave the same thing you do, after all - the slightest bit of empathy.

You cannot always demand instant ROI. Sometimes, you need to invest long-term. Especially when it comes to the systemic diseases that riddle our society. It's called being the bigger man.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Check your privilege, is the slogan of an ideology.

And the only way to defeat an ideology is with another ideology.

It is pointless to argue within an ideology, an ideology can only be defeated from without by another ideology.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Check your privilege, is the slogan of an ideology.

And the only way to defeat an ideology is with another ideology.

It is pointless to argue within an ideology, an ideology can only be defeated from without by another ideology.
    Pretty much this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Privilege might be better thought as burdens you don't have to deal with because of your social identity, to the point that your social identity is invisible, that's what I've noticed between white and black people. Blacks are generally much more racially conscious and we're reminded(in various ways) every day we're black, from what I see of whites, they actually tend to display less racial consciousness, I think it might have to do with whiteness being normalized in the US.

But the situation has improved for african americans since the sixites because the cultural upheaval that happened made it possible for blacks to publicly express their grievances more openly and whites have become more open about listening to them than they ever were before. I can see how this has been abused by many blacks who can interpret racism in literally anything they want and some even use this as a form of moral indignation/guilt tripping to absolve personal accountability in instances that have little to do with actual racism.

I was constantly told to check my privilege by my parents(it wasn't articulated that way but it made the point), when I was growing up all I heard was how good we kids had it these days, how when they were growing up(on my father's side) in the Jim Crow South they picked cotton in the hot South Carolina sun, had no central air conditioning, indoor plumbing, and had to manually kill their food, and were regularly called niggers by whites and had to take all that oppressive bullshit without complaint(or else).

When it comes to gender the advantages/disadvantages(between heteronormative males and females) are more symmetric so white feminists telling white males to check their privilege is pretty hypocritical(especially since they benefit from affirmative action maybe the most), when white female privilege(this is almost exclusive to white females) is brought up they become extremely defensive and privilege denying themselves, I'm pretty sure I'll get responses in this thread about how "it's really just white privilege there's not such thing as female privilege duh".

Here's an video @ 4:10, "if you're a white guy it's much easier to get away with a crime, if you're a white woman, like it's almost a free for all".

Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Here you go:

Crime in the United States 2011

Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter arrests: white (4,000); black (4,149)
    Forcible Rape arrests: white (9,504); black (4,811)
    Robbery arrests: white (35,443); black (45,827)
    Aggravated Assault arrests: white (194,981); black (102,597)

Blacks are 13.1% of the US population (2012); Whites are 63% of the population (excludes hispanics).

Quick Facts
    Arrests don't equal actual crimes committed. My uncle reached past a cop to punch a guy in the face and the cop did nothing. Said it looked like my uncle slipped.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Privilege might be better thought as burdens you don't have to deal with because of your social identity, to the point that your social identity is invisible, that's what I've noticed between white and black people. Blacks are generally much more racially conscious and we're reminded(in various ways) every day we're black, from what I see of whites, they actually tend to display less racial consciousness, I think it might have to do with whiteness being normalized in the US.

But the situation has improved for african americans since the sixites because the cultural upheaval that happened made it possible for blacks to publicly express their grievances more openly and whites have become more open about listening to them than they ever were before. I can see how this has been abused by many blacks who can interpret racism in literally anything they want and some even use this as a form of moral indignation/guilt tripping to absolve personal accountability in instances that have little to do with actual racism.

I was constantly told to check my privilege by my parents(it wasn't articulated that way but it made the point), when I was growing up all I heard was how good we kids had it these days, how when they were growing up(on my father's side) in the Jim Crow South they picked cotton in the hot South Carolina sun, had no central air conditioning, indoor plumbing, and had to manually kill their food, and were regularly called niggers by whites and had to take all that oppressive bullshit without complaint(or else).

When it comes to gender the advantages/disadvantages(between heteronormative males and females) are more symmetric so white feminists telling white males to check their privilege is pretty hypocritical(especially since they benefit from affirmative action maybe the most), when white female privilege(this is almost exclusive to white females) is brought up they become extremely defensive and privilege denying themselves, I'm pretty sure I'll get responses in this thread about how "it's really just white privilege there's not such thing as female privilege duh".

Here's an video @ 4:10, "if you're a white guy it's much easier to get away with a crime, if you're a white woman, like it's almost a free for all".

Good post, mostly. Sure, there are things I don't have to think about by virtue of being born a woman. For example, I get the impression that guys need to think about not getting in physical fights (I mean, I HOPE they're thinking about NOT getting into them- but I guess the fact that some of them are thinking about getting into them is why the rest have to think about not) a lot when they're out and about. I don't really worry about that. I just have to think about not getting raped.