First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by annexfriesia View Post
    err...OK. Doesn't mean there are more black American dropouts relative to successful/purposeful people...

But don't get phased over an opinion, despite saying plenty of times how "learned and down to earth" you are...

Sorry, but if you attack me, I do in kind.
    My head is stuck in the clouds most of the time, actually but thanks for the compliment.

Normally I don't like getting into arguments with people, so I'm not going to bother with you after this. But just keep in mind that there are always exceptions to generalizations.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I'm glad to be an exception to the rule. Underachieving Jews bringing down the curve!!! Yeehaw.
    How is that possible? The only Jew I know isn't particularly remarkable, but he is a surveyor with his own business that he gained through sheer determination. I think determination is what makes the difference.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Amy Chua and Jed Rubenfeld wrote a book titled "The Triple Package: How Three Unlikely Traits Explain the Rise and Fall of Cultural Groups in America".

This book examines why certain groups of people are more successful than the general US population. The authors argue that the interplay of a superiority complex, feelings of insecurity, and impulse control is what drives certain groups to work hard and succeed. These people aren't anymore intelligent than the rest of us; they're just driven because they have a chip on their shoulder and their upbringing provides them the "grit" to not give up when the situation is difficult. For these people, the American Dream is alive and well. They are very upwardly mobile. These are some of the groups that the authors looked at:

Mormons: Mormons make up only 1.7% of the US population but many have achieved financial and political success. Some successful mormons include Mitt Romney, Senators Reid and Hatch, David Neeleman (founder of Jet-Blue),Glenn Beck, Stephenie Meyer, Gary Baughman (CEO of Fisher-Price), and Ken Jennings (Jeopardy champ). Since 1990, there have been 14 senior executives in Fortune 500 companies. The LDS church owns lots of land (larger than the state of Delaware); it also has an estimated $25 to $30 billion in assets as of 1997.

Cuban exiles: These people left Cuba by the thousands with no more than five dollars in their pockets after 1961 and settled in Miami. As of 2004, over 30% of Cuban Americans held managerial and professional positions. Today, the total revenue of Cuban American businesses exceed that of Cuba. By 1990, nearly 37% of these exiles' children earned more than $50,000/year compared to 18% by Anglo-Americans.

Nigerians: In 2010, Nigerians (0.7% of the total US black population) accounted for 20 to 25% of the black students at Harvard Business School; they're overrepresented among black students at elite US colleges by a factor of 10. Nigerians also make up about 10% of the nation's black physicians. Almost 25% of Nigerian households make over $100,000/year with a median household income of $58,000/year compared to the national median of $51,000/year.

Asians: Asians and asian-americans make up 30 to 50% of the student bodies at the top music programs such as the Juilliard School of Music. Indians have won the national spelling bee 5 years straight. In 2012, 48 out of 141 US Presidential Scholars were asians. Asian SAT scores are 143 pts above average. Asians are about 5% of the US population but make up 19% of the undergrad student body at Harvard, 16% at Yale, 19% at Princeton and Stanford.
    Indian Americans have the highest median income of any Census-tracked ethnic group in the US ($90,500/year); the national median income is $51,200.

Da Jews: Jews make up 1.7% of the US population. They have the highest median income of any ethnic/religous group ($98,000). In the Forbes 400 richest Americans, there are 139 jews.
    I can understand the reasoning behind Mormons and Jews, religious groups. But I don't understand the Asians and Nigerians. Superiority complex with feelings of insecurity and impulse control? I can see the impulse control with the Asians, but I don't see the other two. Same with the Nigerians. Does anyone else who actually knows a bit about Asian cultures and Nigerian culture think this fits, or doesn't fit?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    How is that possible? The only Jew I know isn't particularly remarkable, but he is a surveyor with his own business that he gained through sheer determination. I think determination is what makes the difference.
    Most of the Jews I know my age grew up in much more affluent/privileged backgrounds than I did. My father lost his well-paying job when I was 6 years old and I was lower-middle class with a single (non-Jewish) mother after that point. I have some wealthy family members but that never really helped me apart from some birthday checks and nice vacations.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5
    But I don't understand the Asians and Nigerians. Superiority complex with feelings of insecurity and impulse control? I can see the impulse control with the Asians, but I don't see the other two. Same with the Nigerians. Does anyone else who actually knows a bit about Asian cultures and Nigerian culture think this fits, or doesn't fit?
    Most of the Indian-Americans come from one of the upper castes, the Brahmans, Kshatriyas, and the Vaishyas. The Nigerians come from the Igbo or Yoruba peoples, which are elite and successful peoples in Nigeria. The insecurity comes into play when they enter the US and experience a steep drop in status; instead of being celebrated, they get ignored or worse. When Cuban exiles entered Miami, they saw "no dogs, no Cubans" signs and they had to take jobs washing dishes and janitorial work. The Iranians have a proud history but in the US, they have to hide their heritage for fear of being associated with arabic jihadists; they don't identify themselves as iranians but rather "persians".
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by chana
    I'm glad to be an exception to the rule. Underachieving Jews bringing down the curve!!! Yeehaw.
    Success breeds complacency. Latter generations lose some of that edge (that chip on the shoulder) when they no longer experience feelings of insecurity. By the third generation, there is no difference in school achievement between Chinese-Americans and Anglo-Americans. With Jews, there is some evidence that by the 4th or 5th generation, they're slipping as well.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

How is that possible? The only Jew I know isn't particularly remarkable, but he is a surveyor with his own business that he gained through sheer determination.
    Did you even read the stats in the OP?

I think determination is what makes the difference.
    Yes, this is what they are calling "grit".

They're saying these three other factors cause "grit".

Once again, from the OP.

I can understand the reasoning behind Mormons and Jews, religious groups. But I don't understand the Asians and Nigerians. Superiority complex with feelings of insecurity and impulse control? I can see the impulse control with the Asians, but I don't see the other two. Same with the Nigerians. Does anyone else who actually knows a bit about Asian cultures and Nigerian culture think this fits, or doesn't fit?
    I grew up alongside all the cultures mentioned in the OP (and am none of them myself).

Yes, Asians absolutely have a superiority complex, insecurity, and good impulse control -- no doubt.

Nigerians have a superiority complex (they think they're the best in Africa -- sorta similar to Koreans in Asia), have insecurity upon coming here, and, well, impulse control is a bit different of an issue, as they're certainly far more Dyonisian than the Asian cultures, but, at the same time, all the Nigerians I know (and I know a good number) are hard-working, take their careers seriously, and have professional jobs.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

There is truth to this... but the other side is that there are still cognitive differences. I'm not a technical expert on this... but a friend/peer studying such things has presented that when controlling for these factors (and others)... many researchers have found that there were ethnic differences in intelligence. They had also divided up the Asian cultures and determined that specific cultures (i.e. Chinese) were more responsible for 'Asian success'. There is no doubt that there are many factors playing into this... but this has been shown to be one of them.

*Oh... and I remember how awkward it was when she was presenting this, as we were in a room full of academics/grad students. But ultimately, everybody's got different strengths and weakness... it's just life.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

***<Egregiously Ignorant Bullshit>***
    If ever the GOP needed a rectal tampon to keep from drowning in its own bullshit; I feel your posts could plug that gaping abyss.
    Just sayin'.
    Your posts have a place in this world, IMHO.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Success breeds complacency. Latter generations lose some of that edge (that chip on the shoulder) when they no longer experience feelings of insecurity. By the third generation, there is no difference in school achievement between Chinese-Americans and Anglo-Americans. With Jews, there is some evidence that by the 4th or 5th generation, they're slipping as well.
    But if they're still being raised in a upper-middle class environment with educated, well-connected parents, they don't really need a chip on their shoulder to succeed anymore. They're being set up to succeed from birth, and are raised in a culture that expects and nurtures success.