User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera View Post
    I used to be overly generous when giving to charities but business hasn't been as good for several years & the government keeps taking a larger slice every year.

This thread originated discussing guns & government, so may I ask your opinion of a video pertaining to both?
    Could you someday picture yourself similar like Erika, capable of defending yourself & fighting to preserve your constitutional rights ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_VPaGjMwyI
    I've thought about it.

I think girls with guns are incredibly sexy. I think Im weird though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    South Africa has passed Gun Control legislation without too much fuss. Now all the USA has to do is to catch up with South Africa.
    South Africa is a third-world hellhole. Rampant crime is related to gun laws that do not allow victims to defend themselves. It is inexcusable and immoral that children, who weren't alive during the apartheid, are killed for no reason.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Habba
    Firearm-related murder rates per 100,000:
    Costa Rica 4.6
    United States 3.60
    Uruguay 3.43

Belgium 0.29
    Finland 0.26
    New Zealand 0.26
    You really can't compare other nations to the US because we are a much larger and diverse nation than the ones in your list. Over half the gun homicides are committed by a single demographic in the US; I'm not going to mention which demo, but Detroit's murder rate is 54.6 per 100,000, which is ten times the national average. If you aren't living in Detroit or Chicago, the murder rate's about the same as that of most European nations.

Benevolent society is far better than individualism.
    And what if the benevolent leaders decide they don't want to be benevolent anymore?

Countries with high taxation are actually far more free than countries with moderate taxation (nordics, Netherlands and New Zealand constantly top any given social meter).
    New Zealand cut its top income tax rate from 66% in the mid-1980s to 30% in the late 90s. The top income tax rate in the US is 36%, not including state and local taxes, which drives it up to about 55% for top earners.

"Right to bear arms" is a silly remnant of history, please get rid of it and join us in the 21th century.
    Our experience has shown repeatedly that strict gun laws actually increase the number of gun homicides, so it would be stupid to disarm when the criminal is still armed. It's not silly; it's logical.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think girls with guns are incredibly sexy. I think Im weird though.
    Yeah, you are, what a freak.

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    You really can't compare other nations to the US because we are a much larger and diverse nation than the ones in your list. Over half the gun homicides are committed by a single demographic in the US;
    If it would be problem caused by the diversity, shouldn't the violence be more spread out? If one signle demographic is responsible for most of the homicides, wouldn't it make sense that there's something wrong with their lives? I mean you could help them with poverty issues. It might require you to cut down on number of cars you own, but hey, less people get violently killed.

Europe as whole is just pretty much as diverse. We don't have such issues here, if you don't count the World Wars, the holocaust, Croatian crisis, Crimean crisis...

From what I've perceived, the most common reason for conflicts between castes/demographics/nationalities is the gaping gap between haves and have-nots. Taxation and goverment can be an effective tool to fight that.

I'm not going to mention which demo, but Detroit's murder rate is 54.6 per 100,000, which is ten times the national average. If you aren't living in Detroit or Chicago, the murder rate's about the same as that of most European nations.
    Wikipedia has a list of homicide rates per country, you can sort them by continent to see that median is below 1.5
    Here are similar statistics per US states. Out of 50 states, only Vermont and New Hampshire are below 1.5

Homicide rates in eastern europe are higher, but they are still struggling with legacy of USSR (see Ukraine's current events.

And what if the benevolent leaders decide they don't want to be benevolent anymore?
    I believe that leaders in europe have a lot less power than leaders in the US. With the power distributed between multiple people, it's more unlikely to have malevolent leaders work efficiently.

New Zealand cut its top income tax rate from 66% in the mid-1980s to 30% in the late 90s. The top income tax rate in the US is 36%, not including state and local taxes, which drives it up to about 55% for top earners.
    I have little knowledge over New Zealand's taxation, except that it is rather high. It's not the income tax that makes life expensive in Finland/New Zealand, but the other taxes added on top of that. From what I gather from wikipedia, Value-added-tax / Goods-and-Services-tax is not as high (if any) in US as it is in Finland and New Zealand. It's a tax that is added to almost any purchase you make, such as food, eletronics and services.

Our experience has shown repeatedly that strict gun laws actually increase the number of gun homicides, so it would be stupid to disarm when the criminal is still armed. It's not silly; it's logical.[/QUOTE]

As with the alcohol, it's not the right course of action to immediately ban everything and ignore the side effects. But a culture that is less idolizing guns is a cultre less violent. Eliminating the poverty would be the best way to get rid of illegal and dangerous guns. I believe it's mostly the gangs that produce these high homicide rates. Gangs are usually made of young, poor and neglected males who have little chance in succeeding in life financially. Gang provides them what the society can't, kinship, protection and future.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Liberal democracy doesn't rely on benevolent leaders, rather liberal democracy relies in the limitation of power.

If for instance, you don't have a liberal democracy but rather have a bourgeois democracy, it is understandable that the people arm themselves against their bourgeois leaders.

For instance, if your leader is Head of a Political Party, the Head of State, the Commander in Chief, and President of the United States of America, it understandable he is described as the most powerful man in the world. And so it is understandable the people arm themselves against him.

On the other hand, if our Prime Minister is not even mentioned in our Constitution, is not our Commander in Chief, is not our Head of State, and can be removed by Parliament or by her own Party, then it is understandable that we do not feel the need to arm ourselves against her.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Which is exactly why citizens need to become more capable at anti-technological warfare. Luddites, Unite!
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Yeah, you are, what a freak.
    Better a freak than into women too meek.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Better a freak than into women too meek.
    Truer words, never spoken.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.