User Tag List

12 Last

Default Maintain Net Neutrality

If you value keeping the internet out of the hands of big business, please sign this petition.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...tates/9sxxdBgy
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

Signed, and yes, I've heard of the ruling and what has been occurring.

Of course, the head of the FCC used to work for Verizon(?)

FigerPuppet

Meanwhile in EU.

(Reuters; Thu Apr 3, 2014) - The European Parliament voted overwhelmingly in favour of ending mobile phone roaming fees on Thursday, a move that will cheer Europe's consumers even as it frustrates telecoms companies.

In a full sitting of the parliament in Strasbourg, lawmakers backed legislation that will phase out roaming fees across the 28-country European Union by December 2015.

"This vote is the EU delivering for citizens," said Neelie Kroes, the European commissioner for digital affairs and an ardent advocate for ending the charges.

"This is what the EU is all about - getting rid of barriers to make life easier and less expensive. We should know what we are buying, we should not be ripped-off, and we should have the opportunity to change our mind."

At the same time, the parliament voted in favour of maintaining "net neutrality", effectively declaring that all traffic on the Internet should be treated equally, regardless of the source or the content.

The decision is a move to limit the ability of network operators to provide quicker Internet access to content providers in exchange for a fee and is another decision in favour of consumers.

tl;dr Europe 1 - USA 0

Ginkgo

Signed. And lol ^

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I would sign it if I wasn't convinced that it might have negative repercussions some day. Maybe in 30 years the nation will be overthrown, and a conglomerate will hunt down each and every signer of the petition. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Signed, and yes, I've heard of the ruling and what has been occurring.

Of course, the head of the FCC used to work for Verizon(?)
    yep, appointed by Obama (who promised he would do everything in his power to maintain net neutrality way back in '07. Fucking hypocrite.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lion 4.5 View Post
    I would sign it if I wasn't convinced that it might have negative repercussions some day. Maybe in 30 years the nation will be overthrown, and a conglomerate will hunt down each and every signer of the petition. Who knows?
    seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    yep, appointed by Obama (who promised he would do everything in his power to maintain net neutrality way back in '07. Fucking hypocrite.)
    One way you can tell who funded the president the most is the people who he appoints or tries to appoint to these positions.

Worst choice ever, and whoever is next in line to be head of the FCC, I'll be sure to make some nasty comments if the person is anything related to the tel companies. Of course, they'd probably throttle people by then.

It is like they are actively trying to wreck the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    One way you can tell who funded the president the most is the people who he appoints or tries to appoint to these positions.

Worst choice ever, and whoever is next in line to be head of the FCC, I'll be sure to make some nasty comments if the person is anything related to the tel companies. Of course, they'd probably throttle people by then.

It is like they are actively trying to wreck the web.
    I think if these guys get their way (and it sure looks like they will) the internet as we know it will be gone. It will be as lame as cable television is now. What's really fucked up is that Obama largely utilized the internet and social media to great effect during both of his campaigns (especially in 2008). He may not have been successful without the internet, yet now that he doesn't need to win any more elections, he has no problem allowing it to be taken over by big business. I didn't mean for this to become another Obama bashing thread, but this is the final straw for me. I'm not about to flock to the GOP, but I'm convinced the democrats are no better. The current FCC chairman, by the way, was confirmed unanimously by the senate. This just proves it really doesn't matter which party controls congress because they've all been bought and paid for by the same sources.

We need legislation to preserve net neutrality, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lion 4.5 View Post
    Conjecture isn't a good basis for judgment...