User Tag List

First 12

Signing it might not do any good, but it can't hurt to try. Remember SOPA? Enough people get vocal about something, particularly in an election year, and you'd be surprised what can happen. I'm willing to have my name in a NSA database if it means helping to preserve my precious interwebs.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I think if these guys get their way (and it sure looks like they will) the internet as we know it will be gone. It will be as lame as cable television is now. What's really fucked up is that Obama largely utilized the internet and social media to great effect during both of his campaigns (especially in 2008). He may not have been successful without the internet, yet now that he doesn't need to win any more elections, he has no problem allowing it to be taken over by big business. I didn't mean for this to become another Obama bashing thread, but this is the final straw for me. I'm not about to flock to the GOP, but I'm convinced the democrats are no better. The current FCC chairman, by the way, was confirmed unanimously by the senate. This just proves it really doesn't matter which party controls congress because they've all been bought and paid for by the same sources.

We need legislation to preserve net neutrality, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.
    Signing it might not do any good, but it can't hurt to try. Remember SOPA? Enough people get vocal about something, particularly in an election year, and you'd be surprised what can happen. I'm willing to have my name in a NSA database if it means helping to preserve my precious interwebs.
    I actually wished Snowden could of waited until now before disclosing all that information until it is close to midterms. I mean, the whole uproar lasted for months and would of generated enough heat for people to go out and kick some people. If it would of started around today, the attention of most people would of been on these revelations up until election. I honestly don't want to be bashing Obama, but this is one of the only topics that I keep bashing him on because Congress, and him, have not been doing enough. And if they were doing something, it wasn't in our interests.

The only issue is that one of the primary forces that drove SOPA was Google and the likes. I think Google and Wikipedia brought in enough people who weren't particularly technology savvy enough to become part of voice. Which is why there was such an outcry from people about ruining the internet. I don't think the bigger internet companies will get hurt as badly because Google has already started its own service. So IF the ISPs decide to throttle connections, Google probably won't care because it has less competition for it and that it has its own ISP to work with. For the larger web companies that don't have their own ISP, they will probably cause a fuss with them to keep their connections streams high.

Meshnets and p2p have been offered as an alternative if the ISPs decide to throttle people enough and create tier plans that aren't worth it. Not sure where it is at when it comes to implementing, but that will require a bit of upkeep by people. Unfortunately, Meshnets do not offer that privacy capability, yet. If it does get implemented on a large scale, it'll probably start with the larger cities before moving on to smaller ones or it'll require a handful of people willing to implement it to get others to join in.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

seriously?
    Yes. I make it a rule never to put my name down on anything that could be seen as a protest movement. I never have and never will demonstrate, petition, or protest no matter how egregious the abuses by the powerful. The powerful will inevitably win, and someday with the way our security state is going they might set up some kind of East German dissent-hunting program. It's a slim chance, but it's a chance. Freedom is going to the wall no matter what anyone does. The best thing to do is to simply accept this, and try to fit within it, or to emigrate. Resistance is futile.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Conjecture isn't a good basis for judgment...
    Yes, it is. I say that there is less than a 10% chance that the signers of petitions like this are hunted down. I say that there is maybe a 10% chance that it could be used to deny you a government job, for example. So that's a real consequence which isn't catastrophic, but which is both harmful and plausible.

On the other hand, what is the chance that the government will heed a petition? Virtually 0, in my opinion. We are going to live in a security state where corporations have more rights than individuals. We must accept this, or emigrate. Resistance is futile.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I have signed so many petitions in regard to net neutrality already but thank you for posting this.

Fortunately we were able to squash SOPA in the past but I fear this type of legislation will now be brought up on a continual basis, especially if the FCC is led by a former Verizon executive. It is disappointing that so many federal regulatory agencies (FDA) are headed by corporate execs and this all happened under Obama.

Getting the word out is vital so thanks for doing that!
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

I also fear this is unavoidable, but that doesn't mean I won't try to do something, even if a minor role.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

So, people are trying to cause some noise. Send some message towards your representatives. Tom Wheeler and his crew is trying to implement something that ain't net neutrality.

If you want, you can use this template to send an e-mail, if you have 10 minutes, call your representative to tell them not to support him or his rules.

If you know someone from Google, Wikipedia, XKCD, any other technology company, and bloggers, get them on board. Get them to talk to higher ups and people they work with. Do something about it

To [Representative],

I support the internet as a Title II telecommunications service.

I absolutely do NOT want ISPs to have the ability to alter connections based on traffic habits or give preferential treatment to any group. The internet needs to remain accessible to everyone at the same level.

The proposed rules, drafted by Mr. Wheeler and his staff, will have dangerous consequences to our economy and should NOT be considered.

Thanks,
    [Name]