User Tag List

12 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Groupies, statutory rape, and David Bowie

I was just thinking today that David Bowie is one of the coolest humans on the planet. But I decided to try to check him out from a feminist perspective. I didn't find a bunch of stuff saying he's done problematic things, but I did find an article saying how he among other musicians would have sex with girls as young as 13. If this is true, this bothers me. I don't know if it's true, but this seems to be common behavior for male musicians and people apparently aren't outraged at a preponderance of statutory rape in the music industry. I wonder if that is a problem with our culture, or if there were mitigating factors, or if it was just a few isolated incidents. Obviously most of them wanted to do it, but 13 isn't exactly an age of consent most places. Still, I don't like to think of him that way- I don't think that's who he is. Something is amiss. I feel like I'm getting too upset about this, but that from an intersectional feminist perspective people aren't getting upset enough about it. I don't know.

Thoughts?
    @cafe @Ivy @Qre:us @Mempy

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I was just thinking today that David Bowie is one of the coolest humans on the planet. But I decided to try to check him out from a feminist perspective. I didn't find a bunch of stuff saying he's done problematic things, but I did find an article saying how he among other musicians would have sex with girls as young as 13. If this is true, this bothers me. I don't know if it's true, but this seems to be common behavior for male musicians and people apparently aren't outraged at a preponderance of statutory rape in the music industry. I wonder if that is a problem with our culture, or if there were mitigating factors, or if it was just a few isolated incidents. Obviously most of them wanted to do it, but 13 isn't exactly an age of consent most places. Still, I don't like to think of him that way- I don't think that's who he is. Something is amiss. I feel like I'm getting too upset about this, but that from an intersectional feminist perspective people aren't getting upset enough about it. I don't know.

Thoughts?
    @cafe @Ivy @Qre:us @Mempy
    I've read a few Bowie bios and I don't remember anything mentioning him banging girls that young. Not saying you're wrong and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. In general, he was quite a voracious womanizer in his younger years, despite the popular public perception that he was a raging homo. I get the impression from what I've read that he had a thing for tall, well built women of african ancestry, even before he met Iman. He also hooked up with Better Midler and Lulu, among others. Probably Mick Jagger as well.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I've read a few Bowie bios and I don't remember anything mentioning him banging girls that young. Not saying you're wrong and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. In general, he was quite a voracious womanizer in his younger years, despite the popular public perception that he was a raging homo. I get the impression from what I've read that he had a thing for tall, well built women of african ancestry, even before he met Iman. He also hooked up with Better Midler and Lulu, among others. Probably Mick Jagger as well.
    Yes, I saw some of those things in the article. Interesting, thanks. It might just be speculation that he was involved. I still might want to find out, I think...

It was pretty common, especially in the 70s. I'm not making excuses, wrong is wrong, but considering how many drugs many rockers were taking, I can imagine they probably weren't using the best judgement when they were stoned out of their minds and adoring, attractive, impressionable young female fans practically offered themselves up on platters back stage.

Stansmith

I doubt there are many people who would approve if such a story were to come out into the open - men or otherwise. Although I'm guessing your gripe is with the fact that these stories aren't coming out (assuming these sort of things are likely to happen), which could perhaps reflect some sort of cultural bias.

I think in general we offer too much leeway to our celebs when we hear about these type of stories. It could be widespread public denial, or worse, people know and are simply willing to cut them slack. I watched a documentary about Schwarzenegger's run for governator in '03 and how he actually turned his past instances of alleged sexual misconduct into a positive point, something he occasionally joked about on the campaign trail. There was one instance where he responded to the allegations with "trust me, I love women..."...it was creepy. Worse, many voters, including women, treated the stories of sexual misconduct as a non-issue.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I tend to shy away from any overtly serious accusation without some good nuggets of evidence. Unfortunately in this scenario, that means some girls coming out saying Bowie tried or did mess with them when they were far too young. (And I just don't see that anywhere right now.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

If there was no coercion, I see no other wrong than using the word "rape" to describe consensual sex.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

People under the age of consent can't consent to sex with adults. It is always considered coerced (rape) because of the power imbalance.

Age of consent varies from place to place, but if you are a successful rock star you can hire people to find out about the age of consent at your location and have them screen potential partners before engaging in sexual activity with them.

There women who look young but are legal if that's what you're into. I got into theme parks as an eleven year old when I was nearly seventeen.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    People under the age of consent can't consent to sex with adults. It is always considered coerced (rape) because of the power imbalance.
    I understand that the line has to be drawn somewhere. But why is consensual sex considered impossible? Is it to make things convenient from a legal point of view?