User Tag List

First 12345 Last

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I do.
    There are victims that sit around doing much of nothing but complaining at work and there are those that kick asses and take names. In companies that give performance based raises, a law like that would kill the incentive to kick asses and take names. I must have missed something.

A window to the soul

By the way, I don't know if you've seen what people in a union are like. I have. I have never worked in one, but I have been to chemical plants and witnessed union workers sitting around doing much of nothing but complaining and goofing off most of the day. That's what I imagine Obama's law would look like, if it was implemented.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe
    Then there is zero reason not to make a law ensuring equal pay for equal work.
    Who gets to decide what's equal work? Should a female WNBA player make the same as male NBA players? Should Robert Downey Jr make the same as Gwyneth Paltrow? There is a very valid reason for not adding regulations; these regulations will require that we waste money on bureaucrats to enforce them.

For me, the problem is more the cultural norm that women take off work to care for kids effecting parents in the workplace.
    You're right about that. My parents absolutely hate that my brother in law is a stay at home dad.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    President Obama is a pathological liar, the most dishonest president ever. Just search for "Obama lies" on youtube. He has lied well over 100 times to the American public.
    I wonder whether Americans care whether he, or other politicians, lie to them. It would make the question of whether he's a liar irrelevant. To quote the bible (I know people hate it when I do this), "they loved not the truth so they believed the lie." The bigger problem, imo, is the immorality of individual Americans (not that I'm perfect). We'll keep electing liars from all parties because voters believe that, in the end, one side or the other has their best interests at heart, or is more accepting of them as individuals. Whether or not a politician lies to accomplish stuff does not matter to them. It merely gets supporters upset with me when I point out the lies, which is kind of a good thing. At least my opinion matters enough to upset certain people. Don't expect it to here though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post

Small price to pay for not having to buy groceries, diapers, or dog food.
    Actually i think that calls for a thread. I never quite understood what it is stay at home wives do that is so difficult (as long as they dont have 5 kids or something)
    Big argument with NFs is coming. Yes i know.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by A window to the soul View Post
    By the way, I don't know if you've seen what people in a union are like. I have. I have never worked in one, but I have been to chemical plants and witnessed union workers sitting around doing much of nothing but complaining and goofing off most of the day. That's what I imagine Obama's law would look like, if it was implemented.
    Some do that, yes. Plenty of non-union employees also do stuff like that. My husband is Teamster and he does not. He is always conscientious and hardworking, no matter who he has worked for. Companies he has worked for who have neither unions nor the fear of unions have paid pretty poorly and since he was being paid by the mile instead of the hour, frequently required hours and hours of his time without paying him.

So essentially the same thing as the union workers you are talking about, except it was being done to employees by employers instead of the other way around. Both are, IMO, wrong. It's theft in both cases. It is an absolutely widespread practice of trucking companies, since paying over the road drivers by the mile is an industry standard practice. I don't hear a lot of moral outrage from folks like you about stuff like that. Or maybe you just don't know wage theft happens to employees all the time?

Also, when my dad was working in factories, a lot of times the company would not allow him to stock replacement parts for routine repairs, so assembly lines were frequently shut down until parts could be express shipped, which meant the workers were idle for hours at a time through no fault of their own. I would imagine this is not an uncommon occurrence in the manufacturing industry.

There are already laws about discrimination for race, age, etc and so far it hasn't made us less productive. They aren't very well enforced, admittedly, but there isn't anything to indicate gender-based equal pay laws would be any different.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Actually i think that calls for a thread. I never quite understood what it is stay at home wives do that is so difficult (as long as they dont have 5 kids or something)
    Big argument with NFs is coming. Yes i know.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide
    The bigger problem, imo, is the immorality of individual Americans (not that I'm perfect). We'll keep electing liars from all parties because voters believe that, in the end, one side or the other has their best interests at heart, or is more accepting of them as individuals. Whether or not a politician lies to accomplish stuff does not matter to them.
    Can't argue with you on this point. We get the government we deserve. The people elected a community organizing stoner with no business experience and now we're seeing the consequences of that vote.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK
    I never quite understood what it is stay at home wives do that is so difficult (as long as they dont have 5 kids or something)
    It's hard work even with one kid. The wife has to drive the kid to school, band practice, boy scout meetings, etc. She's usually the one to help the kid with the homework. Then there's the housework and the meal preparation.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I can't believe how stupid everything's gotten. I knew a Russian who said that America is always better than Russia, no matter how bad America becomes. Then, two hours later tells a bunch of Americans how wonderful the laws are in Russia, and saying "you'll like communism." They nod their heads in agreement saying America needs these laws too. I wish they'd go to Russia or any country with these messed up systems they want.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

There are already laws about discrimination for race, age, etc and so far it hasn't made us less productive.
    Absolutely they have.

And they are antithetical to liberty.