Enneagram
    9w8

ermagerd erbarma iz lyin agin

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Agreed. But to jump to an automatic "lying" is getting old.

I'm more likely to question the research rather than claiming "Bob or Betty is lying, again." Again? If one is going to make claims like that, they better be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. I think people are more likely to be guilty of not knowing what they're talking about, rather than being flat out liars.
    The president has a huge amount of resources available to him to ensure his facts are correct before drawing the nation's attention to to it. And if it is only a 5% disparity, mostly related to non-sexist issues, then there is no issue to discuss. These two things call into question what his motives are for bringing up this would-be problem.

But, I understand why one would take issue with the word "lying" being used without proving that it was a lie. It would make the accuser seem biased and untrustworthy.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by OWK View Post

Even when truth is employed, it is employed dishonestly (i.e. partial truth intended to deceive).

Sadly, the more honest the speaker... the more likely they are to be pilloried in the mainstream press.
    Plain demagogy.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Double Edit: I know this is prejudicial, but the sketchy website makes me skeptical of what it's saying. I will try to see beyond appearances and dig.
    You should easily be able to find the same information from several sources, here is one: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...7-cents-dolla/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Again? If one is going to make claims like that, they better be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.
    You mean like this?: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/ob...ce-f8C11484394

I actually agree with your broader point, but I find it extremely unlikely that Obama is unaware of the, um, misleading nature of that 77% figure.

A window to the soul

This is stupid and the least of my troubles. If it's true, I don't want Obama fighting my battles. I know how to ask for a raise or move on; not a problem.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Then there is zero reason not to make a law ensuring equal pay for equal work. Nothing will change or men will be protected in the future, should they (continue to?) lose ground to women in the workplace.

For me, the problem is more the cultural norm that women take off work to care for kids effecting parents in the workplace. All of the children whose mothers apparently desire to take career hits so they can parent also have a male biological parent. The male parent has no expectation and very little allowance to take time off for parenting responsibilities. Men can be parents without it being a conflict with their career. Women still have to choose which they are going to neglect. Men that want to take off to stay with their sick child, etc are often all but scoffed at.

This is not fair to either men or women.

Another problem is that women are not as frequently promoted to higher positions in their fields. Some of this is due to sexism and some is due to parenting responsibilities. As long as women are under-represented in leadership roles, a lot of this stuff isn't going to be addressed. Even after, for awhile, really.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Then there is zero reason not to make a law ensuring equal pay for equal work. Nothing will change or men will be protected in the future, should they (continue to?) lose ground to women in the workplace.
    I don't want it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by A window to the soul View Post
    I don't want it.
    I do.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

@Jaguar I'm not axe-grinding. I'm mythbusting and this myth is busted!

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx
    It's the economic power of sex that people forget about. You could say that while women make .8 to a man's dollar, they're still richer than men because .5 of every dollar a man makes, is for a woman. lol.
    Small price to pay for not having to buy groceries, diapers, or dog food.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    Agreed. But to jump to an automatic "lying" is getting old.
    President Obama is a pathological liar, the most dishonest president ever. Just search for "Obama lies" on youtube. He has lied well over 100 times to the American public.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.