User Tag List

123 Last

Default Marine Chases After a Civilian Holding the Flag Upside-Down.

Looking through some stuff, and I came upon this video. It occurred about 2 weeks ago, so it is sort of old. There seems to be a big misconception of what hanging the flag upside-down means, even amongst military men (and the people commenting on these videos.) Military men/women that work at sea probably know much more of what hanging the flag upside-down means (or should know what it means.) Hanging the flag upside-down is not a sign of disrespect for the country (sometimes far away from it,) it is a sign of perceived/real distress that one feel the need for it to be rectified in this country.

I remember reading about how New Mexico had one of the worst police involvements in the country, and I couldn't help but feel that this was in protest(and distress) of what is occurring in their state/city. What is the point of fighting for a country if you aren't going to allow for the same values you've vowed to defend from being exercised? When watching the video, having the flag drop on the ground was worse than having the flag flown upside-down. Why would you chase someone to force them to drop the flag on the ground touched by dirt? Is forcing that guy to drop the flag any better than allowing him to fly the flag upside-down?

There are many incidences in America where people did outlandish things to the betterment of society (whether you like to call it that) Many of them, we wouldn't even have these rights if it weren't for their style of stirring the system. One of it is the Women's Suffrage Movement. Parts of the movement picketed in front of the White House, comparing not having Women's rights to World War I (current soldiers and veterans were mad.) The same people also took away President Wilson's Inauguration Speech by causing a riot in Pennsylvania Avenue. Without these sort of people, there probably wouldn't be an amendment for Women's Right to vote or would not have paid attention to it, and people should be taking care and paying attention to the message of these people who openly criticize.

The only thing we should fear more than these people is when there is no one to criticize.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My dad was a Marine and he says he fought for people's right to burn the flag. He considers articles of clothing with flag designs much more disrespectful than burning the flag in protest, etc.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My dad was a Marine and he says he fought for people's right to burn the flag. He considers articles of clothing with flag designs much more disrespectful than burning the flag in protest, etc.
    Wearing the flag, unless specified on the article of clothing (like the patch for military uniforms) look tacky. Wearing it on articles of clothing means that the image of the flag will continually get dirty, washed, and repeat. So I agree! There is a few reasons why people generally take flags back in the home when it is raining or dusty outside, it is to keep the flag in tip-top shape.

I don't have any clothing that has the American Flag on it (unless it is left on the label by the clothing maker) nor do I wear any articles of clothing that has the Californian Flag. Personal preference because it's going to get dirtied

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

"You know what happens when you get out of the Marine Corps? You get your brains back." - Corporal Ray Person
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Wearing the flag, unless specified on the article of clothing (like the patch for military uniforms) look tacky. Wearing it on articles of clothing means that the image of the flag will continually get dirty, washed, and repeat. So I agree! There is a few reasons why people generally take flags back in the home when it is raining or dusty outside, it is to keep the flag in tip-top shape.

I don't have any clothing that has the American Flag on it (unless it is left on the label by the clothing maker) nor do I wear any articles of clothing that has the Californian Flag. Personal preference because it's going to get dirtied
    My husband might still have an American flag tie. It is a pretty tie, but I don't think he'd wear it now, even if he wore ties because it makes you look like . . . people that wear flag stuff.

But he got it a long time ago. The kids in this pic are now 20 and 19.

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

I want to burn hundreds of flags next to this guy and then stand my ground

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My husband might still have an American flag tie. It is a pretty tie, but I don't think he'd wear it now, even if he wore ties because it makes you look like . . . people that wear flag stuff.

But he got it a long time ago. The kids in this pic are now 20 and 19.

That reminds me of a high school teacher that would wear a different tie every single day while he was teaching. He would wear all sort of ties like Marilyn Monroe with his suit, it was... interesting. Everyday, the class would ask what and where did he got the specific tie. It was like, he just make the tie work with the suit one way or another.

That tie isn't half-bad actually, it looks clean compared to all the other clothing that sports a flag.

And your kids are a few years younger than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I want to burn hundreds of flags next to this guy and then stand my ground
    There is actually two of them, one of them is a Marine that you see doing the chasing and most of the shouting, the other was from the Army (I think.) The video here doesn't show that there was a shouting match afterwords.

But this one does show a little bit more.

Though the news organization can't confirm which branch they really were from.

I would say, good luck burning the flag with two of them letting their emotions fly high. I mean, that person didn't care what symbol it was used for. I would think they would be irate if they saw the flag burning.

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    "You know what happens when you get out of the Marine Corps? You get your brains back." - Corporal Ray Person
    You learn something very different when you go to the military. It is like all the stuff you learned as a "civilian" needs to fit the military structure because a lot of the stuff you learn in society aren't always compatible with the military. I believe, in Plato Republic, it was stated that the soldiers should be taught differently to bear fangs, but they should be put on a leash so that they don't bear their fangs against the very people they are protecting. And if they ever move back to society, that they transition back to society not bearing these fangs.

Ginkgo

I would like to live in an America where it would be assumed that if someone was burning the flag, they're just trying to keep warm.

Permabanned

It's a piece of cloth representing an arbitrary geographical boundary.
    Calm down.