User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Like other posters have said, I'm afraid of physical contact with strange kids, not because I'm afraid of the kids (far from it), but because I'm afraid of the mob mentality of adults.

Example: I was playing outside with my nieces and nephews when the neighbors (we get along, wave at and occasionally talk with each other, but we're not friends) arrived home with their two young children, and I politely invited them to join us. During the playtime, my youngest niece would occasionally ask me to pick her up, which in turn caused one of the neighbor's children to ask for the same. Now, these were neighbor's children and I had just been talking with their father for about thirty minutes, but instead of simply picking the child up and carrying him, I lifted him high into the air while keeping my elbows unbent and then almost immediately set him down, doing my best to mask my discomfort with the situation and trying to find a balance between not hurting the child's feelings (or insulting his parents in the likely event that they are not deranged about such things) while protecting myself from any potential misunderstandings.

If it is a kid I know personally, like, adults and parents personally know me, contact is okay.

If it is a kid that I don't know, or a kid that involves work (like teaching or tutoring,) little or no contact. If the kid is willing to say hi, the furthest I'd go is to reply back and say hi. Other than that, I've been told while doing a job in college, avoid physical contact and avoid being seen alone with the child. Those two will help you clear most misunderstandings others may have of you.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Jesus christ american society is fucked up.
    Same reaction here.

I don't see why there should be any problem when interacting with kids. Kids love me and I love them in return.
    Being able to correctly interact with kids is a good test of natural empathy and spontaneity.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 04-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm not afraid of kids. I come from a large family. I have 7 siblings and I'll probably have at least twice as many nieces and nephews. But I won't touch a stranger's child, ever. I might smile or wave, but I'll keep my distance. The risk is simply too great. One accusation is all it takes for your life to be permanently fucked up.

I know someone this has happened to. There's a man I know who was accused of "improper touching" by his step daughter at the time. This man is one of the genuinely nicest people I've ever met. He's really naive, kind of child-like. He's never been officially diagnosed as autistic, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out he is mildly autistic someday. Anyway, this step daughter accused him of touching her and now he's on a sex offender registry. He can't get off the list even though the step daughter (since becoming an adult) admitted she made up the accusation because she didn't like the fact that her mom had married him. Being on the sex offender registry has absolutely destroyed his life. He has no career anymore and he's terrified to be around children now because another false accusation sends him to prison.

If something that fucked up can happen to someone that nice who did absolutely nothing wrong, I think it's safer to just keep my distance.
    See this is the kind of shit that I am afraid of. It's just so easy to become a sex offender, it's ridiculous. And it ruins your life and basically leaves you with no career.

Stansmith

Not really. If a kid approached me I'd just say "hey" and let them do most of the talking if they insist - listen, smile/nod along, give them brief answers to their questions, etc. That's how I respond to most people who approach me in a public setting. Can't say it happens very often.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    See this is the kind of shit that I am afraid of. It's just so easy to become a sex offender, it's ridiculous. And it ruins your life and basically leaves you with no career.
    Why do you think you could so easily pass as a sex offender?
    When you see a child, what do you think, what are your your thoughts? Why are you so afraid of them?

Most of the time, I see a reflection of the child I once was, of the playful inner child I still am. And thus, I can connect.

But you, what do you see?

=====

But maybe you've also seen a film like "The Hunt" (2012, Thomas Vinterberg)? -Excellent movie, by the way-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_(2012_film)

"A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Just the other day we had a group of mothers protesting in our Civic Square about the sentencing of child sex offenders.
    There were no men in the group and they were naturally expressing their emotions strongly.
    I think most men who witnessed this demonstration would get the message that it is dangerous to even give the appearance of being inappropriately interested in a child not their own.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I like kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I like kids.
    That did not sound weird at all.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics