User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 108

  1. #41
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    I disagree with his decision to fund anti-gay marriage legislation, but it was an overreaction to give him the axe. OKCupid picked an odd time to boycott Firefox - April Fool's. I think the strangeness of it probably made plenty of people suspend judgment.

  2. #42
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    I think it's bloody inane, and indicative of the sort of mob-rule (fueled by social media) that we're vulnerable to nowadays. There isn't much we can do to change it however... except maybe by fostering a culture of rational action and empathy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #43
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    It is funny that the kind of thing that gets a CEO fired can make a Republican politician a viable candidate for president.

  4. #44
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It is funny that the kind of thing that gets a CEO fired can make a Republican politician a viable candidate for president.
    Different constituencies.

  5. #45
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    If gay marriage were an exercise of religion, you'd be correct, but I've never heard that argument used by gay activists. My perception is that the majority of gay activists are hostile towards religion.
    I don't know about "activists" as a core group, but I know a lot of gay and trans people who believe in different faiths and attend religious services.

    I think the biggest problem LGBT have with religion in the United States is that it's people waving the "religion" flag who indulge in what they consider to be prejudicial behavior and who for many years treated them as muck to scrape off their shoes. Watch enough beatings, disownings, people losing legal rights to their life partners and shared property and being unable to be the legal parent for their children, losing their jobs and community positions, etc., all in the name of religion -- and yes, of course activists are going to target "religion."

    But that doesn't mean that LGBTs don't believe in God, or don't have spiritual beliefs, or don't attend services (well, until they are kicked out or shunned and have to find new churches). In fact, the religious beliefs they might personally hold just make it even more painful; otherwise they might just try to write it off.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #46
    Senior Member Snoopy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    359

    Default

    It strikes me that the people complaining about the bigots complaining about them have finally lowered themselves to the position of the people they were complaining about.

  7. #47
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    I still really don't understand why the US just doesn't decouple marriage from government. It would seem to solve so many problems.

  8. #48
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I still really don't understand why the US just doesn't decouple marriage from government. It would seem to solve so many problems.
    ... because apparently that would be like trying to decouple baseball and apple pie from being American.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #49
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ... because apparently that would be like trying to decouple baseball and apple pie from being American.
    Maybe we can trade out marriage for government-sponsored apple pie companies. I'd be okay with that.

    Seriously, though, it really does seem like this giant illogical tangle. Arguably, obese and overweight people eating apple pie has a negative impact on the government and our healthcare system, yet we don't forbid that, in the name of personal freedom. As you and @Tellenbach both alluded to, religion is playing a huge role in this issue. It really wasn't that long ago that religion was used to back racism. I think that's why activists may seem to run up against religion, Tellenbach, because it's an area that you can't really fight against using reason. People say "but this is wrong according to [my beliefs]", and how is any of us supposed to get around that? I don't think it's really fair for someone's beliefs to limit everyone else, but that's what many religious people want, and what's prevented gay marriage from passing.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Different constituencies.
    Indeed: Past and future.

Similar Threads

  1. Type and the Use of Emoticons
    By MerkW in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM
  2. [INFP] INFPs and the Lack of Initiative
    By nolla in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
  4. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" review...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO