User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 108

  1. #21
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It seems as if you equate not wanting the state of Cali to recognize SSM to a lynch mob, or Jim Crow.

    The harm in the case of prop 8 was limited to being unable to access gov't subsidies regarding marriage (e.g. tax breaks etc..).

    The cultural lynch mob after Eich, and the mentality behind it ensures the culture wars will not end. The president himself did not support gay marriage until very recently.

    Should he be forced from office for not supporting it earlier?
    No, for he is not committing a legal wrong, he is committing an ethical wrong. While the suppression of certain individuals' rights to marry is unnecessarily evil, there is nothing in the law that allows homosexuals to marry yet, so while Mozilla in this example is firing someone based on their opinions and thus theoretically going against the law, the C.E.O. isn't but at the same time is attacking the foundation of total political equality for all minorities. The president was/is in the exact same situation as the C.E.O., where he is not doing anything illegal, but is still doing something (or rather, not approving something) that is ethically bad.

    Committing a legal wrong is worse than committing an ethical wrong, ultimately, due to the lack of legislation on the latter.

  2. #22
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    No, for he is not committing a legal wrong, he is committing an ethical wrong. While the suppression of certain individuals' rights to marry is unnecessarily evil, there is nothing in the law that allows homosexuals to marry yet, so while Mozilla in this example is firing someone based on their opinions and thus theoretically going against the law, the C.E.O. isn't but at the same time is attacking the foundation of total political equality for all minorities. The president was/is in the exact same situation as the C.E.O., where he is not doing anything illegal, but is still doing something (or rather, not approving something) that is ethically bad.

    Committing a legal wrong is worse than committing an ethical wrong, ultimately, due to the lack of legislation on the latter.
    Not everyone has the same opinion of what's ethically wrong.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Not everyone has the same opinion of what's ethically wrong.
    That's the problem right there, we should.

    What should be objectively wrong is the elimination of certain rights from certain minorities and the suppression of rights of all minorities.

    We must ensure that everyone has total freedom to do whatever they fucking please with their life so long as it doesn't physically harm others or limit others' freedoms, even if it goes against others' opinions or harms themselves in the process.

  4. #24
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    That's the problem right there, we should.
    So its thought crime now.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    So its thought crime now.
    No, it's action crime. Vocalizing your thoughts does nothing. Building an organization to actively suppress others' rights and limit others' freedoms is amoral.

  6. #26
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    No, it's action crime. Vocalizing your thoughts does nothing. Building an organization to actively suppress others' rights and limit others' freedoms is amoral.
    And what is donating money to a cause if not vocalizing your thoughts?

  7. #27
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    And what is donating money to a cause if not vocalizing your thoughts?
    That is not only vocalizing your thoughts however, that is donating to a cause that will campaign against certain minorities.

    If he wanted to vocalize his thoughts, he should literally do so with a press announcement, for words do not harm other's physical rights and freedoms, money and action positioned against them do.

    Back to the Nazi metaphor, what if he had donated his money to the National Socialist cause? Which is worse, saying that you are a Nazi or actively forcing your ideology down others' throats?

  8. #28
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    That is not only vocalizing your thoughts however, that is donating to a cause that will campaign against certain minorities.

    If he wanted to vocalize his thoughts, he should literally do so with a press announcement, for words do not harm other's physical rights and freedoms, money and action positioned against them do.

    Back to the Nazi metaphor, what if he had donated his money to the National Socialist cause? Which is worse, saying that you are a Nazi or actively forcing your ideology down others' throats?
    Get down off the cross.

    If the left would let the religious come to their own conclusions on SSM in their own time, there would be no culture war.

    It would just slowly happen.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Get down off the damn cross.

    If the left would let the religious come to their own conclusions on SSM in their own time, there would be no culture war.

    It would just slowly happen.
    Have you ever read Martin Luther King's Birmingham Jail Letter?

  10. #30
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Have you ever read Martin Luther King's Birmingham Jail Letter?
    Have you read What's the matter with Kansas?

Similar Threads

  1. Type and the Use of Emoticons
    By MerkW in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM
  2. [INFP] INFPs and the Lack of Initiative
    By nolla in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
  4. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" review...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO