User Tag List

123 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Default Early Feminism and Modern Misandry

Isn't feminism just another form of collectivist prejudice in the same sense that racism is? Racists make sweeping generalizations about the allegedly malevolent intentions of people of different skin color, but don't the feminists do the same thing?

Collectively, the white people have done a lot of harm to the blacks by colonizing their territories. You could argue that collectively, men have done the same to women over millennia.

Yet in both cases, the harmful actions were not caused by any malevolent intentions. The Europeans were merely pursuing their self-interest by seeking to expand their empires and patriarchs did likewise by seeking to extend their personal power.

In a lot of cases, both groups displayed callousness, myopia and even unimaginable ignorance. However, the vilification is simply unwarranted because a very small percentage of members of those groups were guided by intentions of inflicting harm upon those who suffered as a result of their actions.

I think that this is the fundamental problem with feminism itself: it unduly ascribes sinister motives to actors of history who scarcely even considered the true outcomes of their actions.

The pioneers of feminist thought such as Mary Wollstonecraft and Jane Austen endeavored to address the structural causes of gender inequity. They focused on institutional, economic, sociocultural and political aspects of the problem. By and large, the severest of problems of patriarchy have been resolved. That is evident in light of the fact that a significant percentage of prestigious professional positions are held by women.

In the absence of the grossest of gender inequality problems, the modern feminists are left with little choice but to engage in crass misandry that is quite similar to the practices of racists. Both groups focus not on the fundamental causes of injustice, but on the imagined nefarious motives of groups that they regard as their adversaries.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@Nicodemus should be interested in discussing

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

1: I could care less about intentions.

2: Actually, modern feminist study is still largely based on studying structure and not on claiming that all or most men have evil intentions.

It would be amazing to discuss the cons of feminism with someone that has studied anything about it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

I made up a special word for self proclaimed 'feminists' who hate on men, claim that all men are the same, force men into shopping and watching chick flicks and use being a woman as an excuse to avoid responsibilities and gain privileges. It's called 'Frautists'.

(Get it? An aggregation of 'Frau', which is German for 'woman', and 'autists'. I know many people like using the word 'feminazi', but that's just such a bad fucking pun.)
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

I'm a feminist. I love men!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It would be amazing to discuss the cons of feminism with someone that has studied anything about it.
    It would be, but you're never going to find an entire group of people willing to do that.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Isn't feminism just another form of collectivist prejudice in the same sense that racism is? Racists make sweeping generalizations about the allegedly malevolent intentions of people of different skin color, but don't the feminists do the same thing?
    It's an interesting point you are bringing up here. I don't know a lot about this topic. What I do know is what I've seen here on the forum. There was a point in the fall of last year when the misogyny thread was going on, which was in my opinion highly polarizing between male and female members. There is nothing wrong with confronting issues and it seems there were good reasons for the topic coming up. However, it becomes a negative thing when people use a topic like this as an excuse to attack others. I almost left the forum during that period because I didn't want to be part of something where people were allowed to slander, lie about and viciously attack others. We ended up changing the rules to disallow those kinds of attacks and so I stayed.

This reminds me of prejudice based on a person's type. We're supposed to use this stuff to try and understand each other. Forming prejudice based on type strikes me as a poor and destructive use of the system.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I'm a feminist. I love men!
    Same here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Same here.
    We'll not ALLLL men, just like not all women
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.