User Tag List

First 23456 Last

I hate female supremacists...does this relate?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The main problem with feminism is that people define it in different ways, but don't always state their definition up front, so discussions end up based on misunderstandings and faulty assumptions as much as anything else. But then that's less an indictment of feminism itself than of those discussing it.

As for the video, there are so many problems with this person's perspective - I don't even know where to begin, and haven't the time right now to try to sort it out.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I hate female supremacists...does this relate?
    Female supremacists I would define as believing women are the superior sex. Feminisn I would define as believing women are equal or should be made equal to men.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The main problem with feminism is that people define it in different ways, but don't always state their definition up front, so discussions end up based on misunderstandings and faulty assumptions as much as anything else. But then that's less an indictment of feminism itself than of those discussing it.
    How could it be an indictment of feminism if we cannot come up with a proper definition on what feminism is? Different people may define a word in different ways and this is problem as there can be only one meaning to a word. Actually there can be more than one definition, but in the case you mention you're referring to what seems to be a confusion among the folk than a word with multiple definitions.

How would you define feminism?

[QUOTE=Typh0n;2283276]Female supremacists I would define as believing women are the superior sex. Feminisn I would define as believibg women are equal or should be made equal to men.

We are on the same page... but it doesn't necessarily have to be "feminism" to achieve that... Humanism also encompasses that...

Socionics
    ILI Ni

We are on the same page... but it doesn't necessarily have to be "feminism" to achieve that... Humanism also encompasses that...
    See my post(#18) in this thread. The difference between feminism ams humanism is one of nuances usually feminism implies that women need a sort of boost in society and attempts to deliver that boost. It often has an aspect of being a protest movement which humanism does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    See my post(#18) in this thread. The difference between feminism ams humanism is one of nuances usually feminism implies that women need a sort of boost in society and attempts to deliver that boost. It often has an aspect of being a protest movement which humanism does not.
    There needs to be a mechanism (independent of feminism but transparent to the movement) that checks the level of imbalance in the society based on tangible data... and decides when a balance has been reached... feminists are also human, and may fall into some kind of conflict of interest and may opt to misrepresent facts in their favor... The mechanism has to bring all parts of the humankind together and should be scientific... All kinds of biases should be eliminated... Feminists should be willing to trust the men in the process and make them a part of it...

In that framework, I have no qualms about it... Though human nature doesn't differ that much in men and women...

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Racists make sweeping generalizations about the allegedly malevolent intentions of people of different skin color, but don't the feminists do the same thing?
    Nope. Individuals may, but feminists as a whole do not. Strawmen (or straw feminists, in this case) are easy to mock, but it's a fairly pointless exercise. Criticism of real-life, mainstream feminism would be much more interesting and constructive. I'm not sure why that doesn't happen more often, but I guess it is more difficult, and many people (and the media, for that matter) end up sniping the low hanging fruit instead. It's too bad because once you move past "women who hate men are bad, AMIRIGHTGUYS?" you can get into really interesting intellectual discussion, but we so rarely push through that first obstacle, especially on this forum.
    -end of thread-

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Female supremacists I would define as believing women are the superior sex. Feminisn I would define as believing women are equal or should be made equal to men.

How could it be an indictment of feminism if we cannot come up with a proper definition on what feminism is? Different people may define a word in different ways and this is problem as there can be only one meaning to a word. Actually there can be more than one definition, but in the case you mention you're referring to what seems to be a confusion among the folk than a word with multiple definitions.

How would you define feminism?
    The thing is that feminism doesn't have a "definition" per se since it is a collection of theories with central principles in common. It's kind of like what science is or pseudo-science. No feminist theory will be exactly like any other, but there are a group of themes and principles which are common to most of them. There are varying degrees of overlap between any members of a set of feminist theories and sets of beliefs. Basically if I were to give a definition, what they all have in common is the belief that in the event that women are not treated as being equal in value to men that should be changed. By that definition almost everyone on here is a feminist. That's not a sufficient condition really, but it's what they all have in common. Some might say that's sufficient. People just disagree on what exactly that means and how to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Nope. Individuals may, but feminists as a whole do not. Strawmen (or straw feminists, in this case) are easy to mock, but it's a fairly pointless exercise. Criticism of real-life, mainstream feminism would be much more interesting and constructive. I'm not sure why that doesn't happen more often, but I guess it is more difficult, and many people (and the media, for that matter) end up sniping the low hanging fruit instead. It's too bad because once you move past "women who hate men are bad, AMIRIGHTGUYS?" you can get into really interesting intellectual discussion, but we so rarely push through that first obstacle, especially on this forum.
    That's what I've been sayin.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    The thing is that feminism doesn't have a "definition" per se since it is a collection of theories with central principles in common. It's kind of like what science is or pseudo-science. No feminist theory will be exactly like any other, but there are a group of themes and principles which are common to most of them. There are varying degrees of overlap between any members of a set of feminist theories and sets of beliefs. Basically if I were to give a definition, what they all have in common is the belief that in the event that women are not treated as being equal in value to men that should be changed. By that definition almost everyone on here is a feminist. That's not a sufficient condition really, but it's what they all have in common. Some might say that's sufficient. People just disagree on what exactly that means and how to change it.

I see. Well, that sounds kinda scary, tbh. Scary because it then seems like its an appeal to collective emotion rather than to reason.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I see. Well, that sounds kinda scary, tbh. Scary because it then seems like its an appeal to collective emotion rather than to reason.
    Well like I say, science is the same way. No one can give a precise definition of science, or of pseudo-science. That's one reason there's a branch of philosophy called philosophy of science, trying to define what it is.

But I also argue that reason is not better than emotion. They each have their jobs and should not try to do the other's job, but they are equal in value and not mutually exclusive.

Feminism tends to advocate valuation of emotion as equal to reason, especially ecofeminism. Reason as being superior in value to emotion and the body has been used to justify all sorts of oppression and exploitation in the past, and it still is being used this way.